Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Alright we’ll cut the shit- no S7s.

Tell us what you have skied, liked. Do you think you are someone who likes traditional camber? Or have you gravitated towards more rockered shapes in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by mutorq View Post
    Alright, guys...let me tell you how my brain is operating right now: walked into a ski shop with this list in mind today. And walked out with Sick Day 104, Vision 108, Rustler 10, and Atris 108 on top based on input there. Combining with what I've heard here so far, I'm still thinking Sick Day 104, Rustler 10, Atris 108, and now also Soul 7 and Praxis MVP. I know the Vision 108 is light as hell, but I think it's a bit of an unknown quantity--is new and hasn't been skied much.
    Whoa. Are you serious? First I would wittle that down to 2 maybe 3 and return the rest. Even if your budget allows you need to gain more understanding of current shapes before you blow dough. Buy more later in the season after you’ve had more of a feel — would be my recommendation.

more expensive.....

Thread drift...but if you land on the Sick Day...I have some 110s/186 drilled once for Jester. Been lolly gagging on re-mounting, might sell instead. Lemme know if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Whoa. Are you serious? First I would wittle that down to 2 maybe 3 and return the rest. Even if your budget allows you need to gain more understanding of current shapes before you blow dough. Buy more later in the season after you’ve had more of a feel — would be my recommendation.
    I'm pretty sure he is saying "on top" of his list, not bought them.

Pretty sure he meant that those are what he's considering, not that he bought those.

2nd or 3rded or whatever skipping the Vision 108. At ~1600g/ski you're asking for a bad time in chop. I'd also look at the Rustler 11 over the 10 given "soft snow biased but can bust through chop."

Oh man I read that wrong or it was edited Haha
    Still have no info on his ski history/preference

Haha, no I didn't walk out with those Just my list

Quote Originally Posted by dgilligan02 View Post
    Thread drift...but if you land on the Sick Day...I have some 110s/186 drilled once for Jester. Been lolly gagging on re-mounting, might sell instead. Lemme know if interested.
    Will keep in mind

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    I'm pretty sure he is saying "on top" of his list, not bought them.
    Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Pretty sure he meant that those are what he's considering, not that he bought those.

2nd or 3rded or whatever skipping the Vision 108. At ~1600g/ski you're asking for a bad time in chop. I'd also look at the Rustler 11 over the 10 given "soft snow biased but can bust through chop."
    Ok, good point

Your advice was good, OP hasn't really said much about his skiing style/preferences other than he is 39 and considers that old, skis the steepest terrain, hasn't skied much in the last few years, and is short and fat. Maybe he's just stout though.

Amazed no one has praxis rx’d this thread already.

Anyhow...Moment Wildcat, 180 (190 if you want to haul ass, but you mentioned “playful”, so...). Good everywhere, would serve well for your stated needs.

For something more low-tide-oriented (and more like the dimensions you stated), Enforcer 100 is as versatile as it gets (if not the liveliest of all time, it is a super fun and bouncy ski that can totally hold its own in crud/funk). Totally great in 18+” of 1/2-decent pow.

So, unfortunately, I'm one of those guys with talent and potential who doesn't ski enough to maximize and also not enough to know what I really want/need. So, I was previsouly on Bonafides as one-ski quiver, and was never in love at all--I thought I was a charger and aggressive, which I am, but that's not all I want to do. Bonafides pretty much want to go attack the fall line always.

Before, I was on Fischer Wateas, which have a lot of camber and, back then, didn't have much rocker. I loved those, though. Although, they weren't quite beefy enough when on more demanding terrain.

So, I'm looking for playful but a little bit of beef. I know my style is dynamic/energetic.

Your advice was good, OP hasn't really said much about his skiing style/preferences other than he is 39 and considers that old, skis the steepest terrain, hasn't skied much in the last few years, and is short and fat. Maybe he's just stout though.
    Haha, did I say short and fat lol. Stout is a better term

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    He did say the Cochise felt too chargy, but yeah more background would definitely help.
    Bonafide, but yeah...and added a little more background above

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post

Anyhow...Moment Wildcat, 180 (190 if you want to haul ass, but you mentioned “playful”, so...). Good everywhere, would serve well for your stated needs.

For something more low-tide-oriented (and more like the dimensions you stated), Enforcer 100 is as versatile as it gets (if not the liveliest of all time, it is a super fun and bouncy ski that can totally hold its own in crud/funk). Totally great in 18+” of 1/2-decent pow.
    I'm thinking the Enforcer is going to be too close to the Bonafide...I don't think I want any metal.

Quote Originally Posted by mutorq View Post
    I'm thinking the Enforcer is going to be too close to the Bonafide...I don't think I want any metal.
    Welp, we're right back to the Soul 7, ha.

So when you ski powder, do you like to carve your turns and face down the fall line, or big sweeping but more carved turns, or try to make the same consistent turn over and over; or do you prefer slide, slarve, and play through the powder?

I can't personally speak to any of the skis on your list, but do have experience with an older version of the Fischer Atua (twin-tip version of the Watea. That was a great ski. I don't think you would find the Ranger all that similar. I just purchased a Praxis MVP thinking it might be a modified version of what I like in the Atua (mine were actually the tele version T-stix 96). Not overly heavy with some pop, handled groomers well, nice through chop if you stayed on your toes. They had a very nice smooth rebound, that was a good mix of damp and springy all at the same time.

Old man, lol. I tracked steep powder with a guy in his 80s last year.

pssst, yes, skip the Soul 7
    OP. You’re old AF so your best days are well behind you.
    Don’t listen to 3pin, he’s pretty much a beater. The Soul7 Is THE ski you seek. Days upon days went into the design and building of that ski. Many old fucks like you were queried for for their intuitive thought process on what would soon be the epitome of ski design.

what is this like the 5th jong "tell me what ski to buy this season" thread this month?

the turn is upon us

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    OP. You’re old AF so your best days are well behind you.
    Don’t listen to 3pin, he’s pretty much a beater. The Soul7 Is THE ski you seek. Days upon days went into the design and building of that ski. Many old fucks like you were queried for for their intuitive thought process on what would soon be the epitome of ski design.
    I must admit, the lightweight honeycomb tip (I mean, you can actually fucking see it!) has given me pause to reconsider. In all reality, the OP would probably love that ski.

I must admit, the lightweight honeycomb tip (I mean, you can actually fucking see it!) has given me pause to reconsider. In all reality, the OP would probably love that ski.
    Honey comb, who does that? Rossi Soul fuckin 7, thats who!

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Honey comb, who does that? Rossi Soul fuckin 7, thats who!
    Light swingweight in an all-around package really. OP, this could actually be your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post

bobby still on strike..... shirking his duties.

Welp, we're right back to the Soul 7, ha.

So when you ski powder, do you like to carve your turns and face down the fall line, or big sweeping but more carved turns, or try to make the same consistent turn over and over; or do you prefer slide, slarve, and play through the powder?

I can't personally speak to any of the skis on your list, but do have experience with an older version of the Fischer Atua (twin-tip version of the Watea. That was a great ski. I don't think you would find the Ranger all that similar. I just purchased a Praxis MVP thinking it might be a modified version of what I like in the Atua (mine were actually the tele version T-stix 96). Not overly heavy with some pop, handled groomers well, nice through chop if you stayed on your toes. They had a very nice smooth rebound, that was a good mix of damp and springy all at the same time.
    Honestly havent slarved much, just havent had the ski for it. So probably mainly carve but ability to be more dynamic is what I would want.

I’m going with Elan Ripstick based on what you’ve said. I’ve owned them. Glen Plake ski. It’s a good match. Has a locked in feel on packed snow and loose enough in deeper snow. Medium weight. Intermediate-advanced ski that can help you move to the next level. Affordable.

I’m going with Elan Ripstick based on what you’ve said. I’ve owned them. Glen Plake ski. It’s a good match. Has a locked in feel on packed snow and loose enough in deeper snow. Medium weight. Intermediate-advanced ski that can help you move to the next level. Affordable.
    Have you been on the Sick Day 104?

No.
    Think you’re a good candidate to go demo a bunch at a Ikon resort

No.
    Think you’re a good candidate to go demo a bunch at a Ikon resort
    Yeah, probably should.