Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    The Hydras are easy to work on but on the other hand I've been unable to kill DT bearings.
    This is appealing, for sure. Would be happier with anything lower maintenance.

I am looking for better engagement than the current ibis hubs. Maybe go with the 54t upgrade kit on the 350.

Hunt wheels also caught my attention. For “best value” and some quick search pricing, how would you rank say…

I9 1/1 enduro s - $750
    WAO union 1/1 (rear only) - $800
    DT 350 (54t) / EX511 (rear only) - $650
    Hunt trail wide - $450
    Hunt proven enduro - $1100

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
    I9 1/1 enduro s - $750
    WAO union 1/1 (rear only) - $800
    DT 350 (54t) / EX511 (rear only) - $650
    Hunt trail wide - $450
    Hunt proven enduro - $1100
    My take on those:

I9: good engagement, mediocre bearings that don't last.
    WAO: no experience with them. If I were going to get them, I'd get them with the Hadleys.
    DT 350 / EX511: solid option. Not the absolute lightest, but otherwise no big downsides.
    Hunt: The hubs are (or at least used to be) rebranded Novatecs, which historically have had lots of durability issues, although Hunt uses the higher end Novatec options that seem to hold up better. I never had any issues with the Hunt wheels I had and they rode well, but they were really heavy for what they were.

Hunt used Novatec hubs, FWIW. At least they used to, don't know if there are any differences today. Some rear Novatec hubs have had issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Was typing that when toast replied!

Another option, not dentist level bling, but I have been pretty happy with the Nukeproof Horizon V2 wheelset I got early this year. After some out of the box retensioning, they've held up nicely. The main problem area for me on wheels is the freehub, and no problems so far.

Bought a second set of those wheels for another build, but don't have as much time on that set yet.

They aren't the lightest, but seem decently made, and inexpensive.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

DT350 54t ratchet hub ftw. Been running this setup for as long as I remember. I plan on rebuilding the rear wheel on my new bike that comes with ibis hubs.

Heavy and loud but burly and reliable.

Roost Wheels - top notch carbon wheelsets for <$1k

I DH on the EN33s and right aggressive tech on the AM31
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Seem to be some good prices on DT Swiss wheels purchased from Europe with the current EUR-USD exchange rate as long as you can find a retailer that will take out VAT and ship for a reasonable amount.

Been watching these carbon rims with 240 hubs:
    https://www.lordgun.com/dt-swiss-exc...ady-wheelset-1

6-bolt version seems to go in and out of stock, centerlock can be ordered with a delay. Ended up not pulling the trigger due to my accident, but they were quoting 50 euros for shipping so at current exchange rates it was looking like $1100 for the pair.

No idea if you'd get stuck with import duties on the US side (probably depends what they mark the value as) or how fast they ship...but found some positive experiences in MTBR that claimed delivery within days.

I have DT 350 on Light Bicycle rims (enduro something or other ~30mm IW) and they are awesome.

I had a local dude lace them ~3 years ago and they’ve been bombproof.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    Seem to be some good prices on DT Swiss wheels purchased from Europe with the current EUR-USD exchange rate as long as you can find a retailer that will take out VAT and ship for a reasonable amount.

Been watching these carbon rims with 240 hubs:
    https://www.lordgun.com/dt-swiss-exc...ady-wheelset-1

6-bolt version seems to go in and out of stock, centerlock can be ordered with a delay. Ended up not pulling the trigger due to my accident, but they were quoting 50 euros for shipping so at current exchange rates it was looking like $1100 for the pair.

No idea if you'd get stuck with import duties on the US side (probably depends what they mark the value as) or how fast they ship...but found some positive experiences in MTBR that claimed delivery within days.
    I've ordered a couple of times from Lordgun, no duties charged, but orders were only around $400-500. Fast shipping.

When I ordered, I found it was slightly cheaper to order in Euros, and pay using a credit card without a foreign transaction fee. The exchange rate was better for me that way.

I've been on the previous generation Hunt carbon all mountain wheelset for three summers now. Best upgrade I've ever made. I'm a Clydesdale, charge pretty hard, mostly ride rocky terrain, and have a tendency land some of my unstylish whips sideways. Other than numerous scars from rocks clanging off them, the wheels are in perfect condition. Never taken a spoke wrench to them yet. I don't use inserts, they've taken quite a few hard impacts that freaked me out at first but now I don't even worry about it. The hubs are rebranded high end Novatec, but are easy to service and haven't given me any issues, no reason to think they will.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    I have DT 350 on Light Bicycle rims (enduro something or other ~30mm IW) and they are awesome.

I had a local dude lace them ~3 years ago and they’ve been bombproof.
    I'm on a similar wheel, BTLOS rim (another Chinese carbon wheel manufacturer) on DT350 hubs, 30 IW, trail construction. The wheels have 2700 miles on them and other than a couple broken spoke courtesy of my lack of skills I really can't complain. Hard to beat an $850 wheelset that requires 0 attention and works well.
    I have a 2nd set of the same rims with a Hydra hub (rear only) and if I had to do it again I'd stick to the DT hub, maybe go to a 240 if I felt the need to burn $$. The Hydra hub is not worth the price IMO, the engagement thing is not exactly life changing compared to a 54t ratchet and the bearing lifespan is very underwhelming (maybe 800 miles).
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Just wanted to praise my Ibis S35 wheel set. I just rode the Enchilada and had so many hard wheel strikes because I got in with some guys that were absolutely sending it. Keeping up with them was riding at the top of my speed and ability limits.

I thought for sure I was going to get done and my rims would wobble all over. Nope, still just one flat spot from an earlier bad case and a couple new scratches but otherwise in good nick. And the ibis brand behind had no issue with tech climbs either. If I were in the market for a $250-400 wheelset I’d definitely give them a hard look.

I’m going lighter carbon this winter but keeping the S35s around for bike park/beat on days

I'm also a fan of Light Bicycle wheels. Lots of options for a good price.