Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Wheels that don't suck on non-dentist salary

The Hunt Trail Wide look to be pretty quality for the money and reviews are great. https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/produc...16900586963042

Also make an Enduro Wide if you need something more, you know, enduro....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

/\ /\ /\ /\
    Jesus, $400 shipped from UK for a hand built DH wheelset?
    Please someone buy these and report back to us.
    However many are in a shit ton.

^^^ Right?!? They’re on my radar for sure for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep reading about Hunt when the affordable wheel topic comes up. seem like a good option.

From a low budget $560/pr for burly aluminum with the house brand hub to $800 with Hydras to 1350+ for carbon these guys have it going on https://www.dirtcomponents.com/29-36-1mm-rc-1 Everything is hand built to order, 100+ color choices for graphics on the carbons. Use the code TH10 for 10% off everything they've got.

Ibis S35 Aluminum wheels are $500 shipped, uses Ibis Logo hubs.

Pretty hard to beat that price for a reputable made 35mm IW brand new wheelset. But the rims are so new I haven’t seen much in durability feedback or ride reports.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Light Bike quoted me Hope hubs laced to 29 mm carbon rims for $880 shipped........tempting......

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Ibis S35 Aluminum wheels are $500 shipped, uses Ibis Logo hubs.

Pretty hard to beat that price for a reputable made 35mm IW brand new wheelset. But the rims are so new I haven’t seen much in durability feedback or ride reports.
    Goddam clown-sized wheels.

Hey, for moon dust midsummer conditions in Tahoe, if you can’t cram a plus tire in your frame/fork then at least you can run 2.35-2.6” tires on that rim and have a higher traction setup than on a 23-28mm IW rim, at least according to teh Interwebz experts and bike industry marketing materials!

For me, I’m building a hardtail that can handle up to 29 x 2.6 in the rear so I wanted 35 IW to run higher volume / lower pressure and take some bite off my ass. I was one click away from buying those Ibis S35s as a wheelset but I found a ridiculous deal on Velomine.com for 35 IW Fratelli rims laced with DT Swiss spokes & nipples to SRAM 900 Boost hubs for $335 shipped. Even if the Fratelli rim falls apart (which it won’t because I now live in Western Oregon and I weigh about as much as a pile of wet leaves) I’ll be able to relace to Ibis S35 rims or what not down the line, but have hubs with tighter engagement than the Ibis Logos. Can also rebuild those as 27+ down the line if I ever get baby fat bi-curious.

Score!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Hey, for moon dust midsummer conditions in Tahoe, if you can’t cram a plus tire in your frame/fork then at least you can run 2.35-2.6” tires on that rim and have a higher traction setup than on a 23-28mm IW rim, at least according to teh Interwebz experts and bike industry marketing materials!
    Or, you know... you could just put a Wild Rock'R2 on a normal width rim on the damn bike.

That too, sure.

But then you rule out the possibility of ever getting it on with a chubby girl, and you know how they are in the sack ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

That too, sure.

But then you rule out the possibility of ever getting it on with a chubby girl, and you know how they are in the sack ...
    No.

No I don't.

FTS.

The wheel hasn't been round since a few rides in, so I'm just gonna do some more hammering and bending and try to get it to hold air for the next few weeks. I like the idea of building up my own wheels, but hoping I can put it off until winter. This kinda gives me an idea of what to look for. Thanks y'all.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

I wasn't particularly impressed with the E13 hubs that came on my Sentinel. I sold the complete wheelset pronto, to someone who was only going to use them as backups. I thought they were very draggy, even after fresh lube, not to mention noisy as fuck. Back on DT 350s and happy now.

I've also noticed that my 2 carbon wheelsets (LB, We Are One) need a lot less frequent truing than any alloy wheelsets I've had.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    <snip>
    I've also noticed that my 2 carbon wheelsets (LB, We Are One) need a lot less frequent truing than any alloy wheelsets I've had.
    This was one of the things that amazed me about the carbon wheels I've run. Even with *multiple* broken spokes, those damn things stay true. Black magic, I tell ya...

The difference of Carbon rims for me is hudge. Early stuff was suspect and I broke a few but the latest generation from the top manufacturers, and even lower tier brands is pretty bomber.

With Carbon I can run fewer and/or thinner spokes, and alloy nipples because they stay round and maintain uniform spoke tension. Also virtually maintenance free for me for this reason.
    Last edited by beaterdit; 10-19-2019 at 04:48 AM.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

They're not cheap, but those We Are Ones are a really good deal at $1k. I've been on a set of Agents for the last season and a half, and they're still mint.

As has been said before, DT EX511s (or 471s if you want narrower) are pretty much the gold standard for aluminum rims these days, IMO. Pick your hub of choice. I'm partial to Hadley or DT 240s, but Hopes are probably the best value for something really good but not mega expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Even with *multiple* broken spokes, those damn things stay true. Black magic, I tell ya...
    I cracked one last season. Not only did it stay true, but I kept riding it for several weeks until I could replace it.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I cracked one last season. Not only did it stay true, but I kept riding it for several weeks until I could replace it.
    I cracked an ancient Enve AM on a month-plus long riding trip last year. Finished the trip on it without incident.

I just built up a pair of Flow MK3s laced to DT Swiss hubs and have been super happy. I’m a Clydesdale that does not ride lightly and they are super stiff, responsive, and have taken a few hits that would destroy other rims, yet without a scratch or burp.

Accidental post, but guess I’ll bump this thread now that I’m here. What’s new since 2019? I need a new rear for my Ripmo v2 with an s35 aluminum up front. Currently leaning i9 1/1 enduro s. But also curious about some carbonation with we are one for the lifetime warranty. I’m a lightweight and ride slower than I generally like to admit… so I guess prioritizing weight over durability (I don’t really break shit, don’t get flats) and definitely want better engagement than I’m getting from this ibis hub. What’s good?

What's your price range?

The Nobl wheels seem like a great value for i9 Hydras, but they're ~$1500.

I'm not sure if i9 uses the We Are One built rims on the 1/1 carbon like they do on the 315c. If so, then for about the same price you can pick between the better rim with i9 or the better hub with Nobl.

Full-bling i9 is $2400 for i9.

I have WAO Union rims on Hydra hubs, and like them, but when I build up a wheelset for the N+1 bike this winter, I'm "just" going to go with DT 350 hubs on EX511 rims. The I9 hubs look and sound nice, and have quick engagement if you like it, but the bearing sealing isn't as nice as DT. The Hydras are easy to work on but on the other hand I've been unable to kill DT bearings.

I'm trying some bontrager wheels. The pro level for $1500 seems reasonable for carbon wheels i guess. I did get the fancy super light ones for new bike though. Just waiting on two more things and i can actually ride it.

Have been tempted by the hunt wheels though. Might try a set of these on the road bike next year

https://us.huntbikewheels.com/produc...34679751704621