Squamish / BC --> Where to get infos?

Hi there, me and two friends from switzerland are going to canada for this winter season.
    We'll stay in Squamish from january till end of march.
    Now I did some research about backcountry skiing there and couldn't really find what I was looking for.

So I was hoping to get some Infos here...
    I have the following questions:

What maps / topo do you use to plan your skitour?
    I couldn't find any 1:25'000 map of the squamish area.
    I found some maps to buy here https://www.backcountryskiingcanada....ng_Guides_Maps
    Only maps I found are:
    Openstreetmap & atlas.gc.ca/toporama

What maps / topo do you use while on a skitour?

I want a app where I can download the map for offline usage and use gps on my device to navigate.

Is there a map where the "normal" skitours are marked?
    I just found a blog with common skitours in this area --> https://www.squamishchief.com/sports...way-1.23120800

Is there a map where you can display the inclination of a mountain / slope?

Where do I find infos about huts and shelters in a park?

Are there any
    wild refuges areas? If so where can I find the "forbidden" areas?

What weather page / app do you use and think is the most accurate for this region?

Soo I think thats all for now. Lot of questions, but it's so hard to get a answer from the internet if you're not a local -.-I hope I posted this thread in the right section of the forum. If not @Mod please move it.Thanks and greetings from Switzerland

Gruezi

Replies below. Be aware that nobody in TGR skis. They are mostly fat old men posting creepy pictures of young girls

Quote Originally Posted by R0N1N View Post
    Hi there, me and two friends from switzerland are going to canada for this winter season.
    We'll stay in Squamish from january till end of march.
    Now I did some research about backcountry skiing there and couldn't really find what I was looking for.

So I was hoping to get some Infos here...
    I have the following questions:

What maps / topo do you use to plan your skitour?
    I couldn't find any 1:25'000 map of the squamish area.
    I found some maps to buy here https://www.backcountryskiingcanada....ng_Guides_Maps
    Only maps I found are:
    Openstreetmap & atlas.gc.ca/toporama

What maps / topo do you use while on a skitour?

I want a app where I can download the map for offline usage and use gps on my device to navigate.
    Use GaiaGPS (requires subscription) or Avenza (no subscription but maps are not as good). Gaia Topo uses 1:20K contours so has more detail and uses data from openstreetmaps and BC government TRIM geo data. Avenza free maps are old Canadian topo maps with 1:50k resolution. Both show roads for access and contour lines but Gaia is more updated.

Both work offline with location. Neither has terrain shading. Terrain shading you can get from other mapping layers for which you pay such as Backroad Mapbooks which I use for up to date roads

Is there a map where the "normal" skitours are marked?
    I just found a blog with common skitours in this area --> https://www.squamishchief.com/sports...way-1.23120800
    No. There is route discussion on the facebook group Squamish Ski Mountaineering. There are route maps for Whistler and Duffey but even those route maps are approximations.

Is there a map where you can display the inclination of a mountain / slope?

Where do I find infos about huts and shelters in a park?

Are there any
    wild refuges areas? If so where can I find the "forbidden" areas?

What weather page / app do you use and think is the most accurate for this region?

Soo I think thats all for now. Lot of questions, but it's so hard to get a answer from the internet if you're not a local -.-I hope I posted this thread in the right section of the forum. If not @Mod please move it.Thanks and greetings from Switzerland
    Parks huts and shelters are discussed in the website for Tantalus Provincial and for Garibaldi Provincial Park which is relevant to your area. There are not many in the area. Look for Sphinx/Rolland Burton. Lake Lovelywater, Jim Haberl Hut

Weather apps - use a combination of spotwx, windy, and snow-forecast to see wind, freezing levels, projections. Of course everything in Canada is a lot of guesswork as our observation points are very spread out.

There are no verboten areas. In the parks you cannot snowmobile or take helicopters but you can ski there

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Replies below. Be aware that nobody in TGR skis. They are mostly fat old men posting creepy pictures of young girls

@LeeLau Woow, thanks a lot! So many infos in just one post.
    I will have a look at the recommended maps and buy a subscription.
    Also I will join the mentioned facebook group for touring infos.

I've seen according to your profile info that you live in this area, so maybe we meet sometime. Then I'll definitely going to buy you a beer or two.

Quote Originally Posted by R0N1N View Post

@LeeLau Woow, thanks a lot! So many infos in just one post.
    I will have a look at the recommended maps and buy a subscription.
    Also I will join the mentioned facebook group for touring infos.

I've seen according to your profile info that you live in this area, so maybe we meet sometime. Then I'll definitely going to buy you a beer or two.
    no problem - Swiss are really nice to us when we visit so I just pay you all back. We have many more bears in our area then uplifts or villages or huts but I'm sure you can already see that

You can also join Lee's favorite group on facebook - South Coast Touring.
    Be warned it is generally people who have no business being in the backcountry, asking stupid questions nonstop. However there are a few diamonds in the rough.

The whistler thread in the main forum gets a fair bit of action so you can check in there as well.
    Another book option would be John Baldwin classic - Exploring the Coast Mountains on Skis.

You didn't mention whether you will have seasons pass to Whistler Blackcomb or not. They also have a backcountry day pass which allows you 1 upload to the top for around 60 bucks. You can then spend as many days in the enormous backcountry behind the resort. There is a lifetime of lines to be skied back there. Worthy video here.
    Last edited by nortonwhis; 11-23-2019 at 03:48 PM. Reason: better version of video