Looking for cheap hydraulic brakes

Was recently gifted a Spot Brand frame so building up a single speed. Have pretty much everything I need, but looking for a set of cheap brakes.

If anyone has an old set of Avids (juicy?) that would be awesome as I have the bleed kit.

for $30/end I would do this (new pads, new fluid, can find parts, just bolt on and go)

Odds of a juicy lasting, or being repairable, for under $30 is slim.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-BR-MT201-Disc-Brake

I’ve got a set of old XT 4 pistons. Might need to source hoses.

I have a set of Level T that need pads that you can have for shipping.

I have a pair of Avid hydraullics - probably Juicy's - that I would let go for cheap. Maybe $40 shipped? They are in great shape and just taking up space in my parts bin.

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I have a set of Level T that need pads that you can have for shipping.
    I’m down. PM incoming

Checking in, building up a vintage bike w/ discs, I’ll see what op takes and go from there

BB7 might be a contender for a cheap powerful cable operated disc brake
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have ^those on a vintage XC bike and they suit the purpose well.

Why do people buy cable disc brakes anymore? Seems like a big step back when you can get shockingly good budget hydraulics.
    However many are in a shit ton.

After dealing with the shitty old Hayes back in the day I found the BB7 to be powerful, easy to setup, no fucking with the hydralic bleed or broken hoses ( I broke at least 3 ) the only downside I found is they didnt modulate as well as a hydraulic brake. i think Avid make a road version and a mtnbike version so get the right one

edit: why cable ? the question might be why does every new bike need hydralic brakes ?

IME Hydralics are always more trouble than cable

In the road version of BB7 I believe you can use a road drop bar and your existing levers
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

In the road version of BB7 I believe you can use a road drop bar and your existing levers
    Yes. I have these on a touring bike. IMHO there's an advantage to cable discs for a touring or travel bike, because you can repair the brakes with minimal tools, if needed. Replacing a hydraulic hose takes more tools and fluid, and if on the road somewhere, probably means a bike shop visit - if one is available.

Otherwise, hydraulics are stronger, and I'd pick those every time for a mountain bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Why do people buy cable disc brakes anymore? Seems like a big step back when you can get shockingly good budget hydraulics.
    bikepacking would be my only guess, says the guy who just built a karate monkey for bikepacking with hydraulic brakes on it...

Wow, interesting insights. Seems like a mix of some 1st gen hydraulic PTSD and some drop bar weirdness.
    From my perspective, I know I can slap a Deore or SLX Brakeset on a bike and forget about it for months to years. I’d expect a frame to break long before brake hoses failing.
    DH/Enduro riding? Different story. I’m coo king the shit out of fluid, shredding pads and warning/burning,gouging rotors constantly. So, yea they take a lot of work to keep going.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.