Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What's the scam here?

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    We had a credit card someone else ordered in our name show up in our mailbox. Lolz. Locking mailbox so our mail is secure but chances are they were just hoping for a way to get the numbers and get it activated somehow. They lost. Thanks Equifax for the data breach.
    This is why you keep your credit frozen unless you are actively applying for a loan or new card.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    This is why you keep your credit frozen unless you are actively applying for a loan or new card.
    Yes, we did that after the fact. Even a credit lockdown expires after a certain length of time though, no? All in all life can be such a pain in the ass.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Could be porch pirate but most likely seller shipped to billing address. This happened to my kid. We knew it wasnt porch pirate because the card number was used halfway across the country.
    Maybe New York guy has an associate in Nashville?
    Maybe not the most likely, but not the most improbable either.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Yes, we did that after the fact. Even a credit lockdown expires after a certain length of time though, no? All in all life can be such a pain in the ass.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    there is a difference between a lockdown and a freeze. a lock is a temporary thing in response to a theft or something. freeze is there until its taken off

Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    I'll be in touch. I will hold onto them for a period of time just in case they pull their heads out and to make it clear that I'm the scammee not the scammer, but at some point, I'm not going to hold onto them forever.
    Even though the phones are in your possession and you did not order them and Google can't figure a way to eventually get the phones back to them, they may have flagged them as lost or stolen. If it comes to them not ever wanting them back, better check with your credit card company and then run the ESN numbers on Google Project Fi (which is Google's cell offering as you probably know) to see if they could be activated and work or on a blacklist already...

Otherwise if they are on the lost or stolen list, they would only be good for parts or someone that tries to flash a new ESN or replace the board...

Figured someone may have run into this sort of thing....
    I got a request from the US for some plate steel I would ship to Seattle and forward on to Hawaii. I've done this sort of thing for before but this is a new lead and my scam-dar started going off. First, the business has no website and the guy uses gmail for his email. He claims he's in LA but his phone number is from New York. He doesn't want to open account, would like to pay credit card, it's a 13k order... He says the right things, like "let the funds clear your bank before shipping the order". He did provide a w9, his EIN number didn't come back with any flags....

So here's my question.. if the funds clear my bank, can I assume it's legit or could I still get fucked over? Something just doesn't feel right about it....

You can get fucked by cashier's checks for sure but I would think that if he pays by credit card at that point it's on the credit card company. However the "let the funds clear your bank" is exactly the shit they say with the cashier's check scams so proceed with caution. I know that's not very helpful but it's all I got.

Credit card company can do a chargeback up to 120 days, I think. Maybe the card account is fraudulent and the guy is scamming the card carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Credit card company can do a chargeback up to 120 days, I think. Maybe the card account is fraudulent and the guy is scamming the card carrier.
    Credit cards are not cash. Chargebacks suck. You can’t win
    . . .

Thanks for the responses... I guess I’ll just run it and hope for the best. Other than it being a stolen card I just can’t see the angle.... just doesn’t feel right still.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I would run that past my bank/card processor first.

^^^ good call

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Damn it only 120 days? I have one from January 21st I wanted to dispute, as the travel insurance co didn't pay my claim.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    Figured someone may have run into this sort of thing....
    I got a request from the US for some plate steel I would ship to Seattle and forward on to Hawaii. I've done this sort of thing for before but this is a new lead and my scam-dar started going off. First, the business has no website and the guy uses gmail for his email. He claims he's in LA but his phone number is from New York. He doesn't want to open account, would like to pay credit card, it's a 13k order... He says the right things, like "let the funds clear your bank before shipping the order". He did provide a w9, his EIN number didn't come back with any flags....

So here's my question.. if the funds clear my bank, can I assume it's legit or could I still get fucked over? Something just doesn't feel right about it....
    Its a scam. My friend with a t shirt company got jacked on $13k (oddly the same amount) worth of t shirts.

It was clawed back 3 weeks after the credit card cleared.

He has given you at least 4 different states and you don't know where he is. And you are a in BC. He's trying to make it hard for you to find him.

I bait him for more info and turn him into the fbi.

Quote Originally Posted by exsparky View Post
    Its a scam. My friend with a t shirt company got jacked on $13k (oddly the same amount) worth of t shirts.

It was clawed back 3 weeks after the credit card cleared.

He has given you at least 4 different states and you don't know where he is. And you are a in BC. He's trying to make it hard for you to find him.

I bait him for more info and turn him into the fbi.
    My suspicions were confirmed. The shipping company he said to use is non existent and his email address was flagged as a spam account various times by other businesses. Sucks your buddy got jacked. Times are lean in my industry so a quick buy and sell was appealing... I suppose that makes me an easier targets for scammers.

Thanks again for the replies, dodged a 13k bullet.

Try and fuck with the guy now

https://www.fbi.gov/tips

My dad's friend (73 year old guy) got scammed trying to buy a '34 ford for $28k. There were tons of red flags and the pictures were from a $300k build in Arizona but the car was in Minnesota and the guy lived in Cali.

4 months go by, the FBI nails a ring of 10 people and the victims that reported it got about 40% of their money back. I'm sure a ton of people felt so dumb they never reported it or he would have a got a lot less money.