Pinch Pennies or buy right the first time?

Been downhill skiing for 20 years but have recently picked up touring. My current "quiver" if you could even call it that consists of Salomon Rocker 2 108s with downhill bindings and BC Noctas with Kingpins. I love the Noctas but they're downright sketchy when touring on frozen crust in the mornings (think spring mornings). Eventually I would like to have a everyday ski (~105 underfoot) and a pow ski with both of them capable of touring or resort skiing. I think the Noctas fit the pow ski slot pretty well but I'm looking to fill the everyday spot. Right now tho, I'm pinching pennies with trying to buy a house in the spring. I'm thinking shifts are the obvious binding choice for a 50/50 ski. So my question is, should I splurge on some Shifts and throw them on my Rockers and wait to buy new skis next year or does that sound like a waste of money and I should just buy the full setup, thinking Ravens, Wildcat 108 etc.?

Oh yeah, 25 yo, 200lbs, 6'3 currently in Seattle but moving to Idaho/Montana

Those Rocker2s were some of the best skis Salomon has produced IMO. If you like them and you haven't beat them to death, I would say keep them and do with them what you like.

I would also say if you're just getting into touring and you're pinching pennies, just find a pair of used frame touring bindings (dukes/barons ect) for ~$100 bucks and buy your dream setup when you have a bit more cash.

I'd get something used on gear swap with touring bindings (or get bindings separately). For much less than the cost of a pair of Shifts. After you've been on pin bindings, I doubt you'd want to put up with frame binders.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I'd get something used on gear swap with touring bindings (or get bindings separately). For much less than the cost of a pair of Shifts. After you've been on pin bindings, I doubt you'd want to put up with frame binders.

... Thom
    This.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

x3. Leave your current skis as they are and get a used 100-108mm tech touring setup. Should be easy to find under $600. I'd offer you mine but you're a week late.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    x3. Leave your current skis as they are and get a used 100-108mm tech touring setup. Should be easy to find under $600. I'd offer you mine but you're a week late.
    I'm hesitant just to get any ol tech binding though. Like I said in the post, 50% of the days will be at a resort. Seen way too many friends mess up their knees, probably the biggest reason I'm so sold on the shifts for a 50/50 binding

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    I'm hesitant just to get any ol tech binding though. Like I said in the post, 50% of the days will be at a resort. Seen way too many friends mess up their knees, probably the biggest reason I'm so sold on the shifts for a 50/50 binding
    And you're sure it was due to a tech binding? Well, if so, you decided for yourself. Get the shifts, because nobody ever hurt their knee with those.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    And you're sure it was due to a tech binding? Well, if so, you decided for yourself. Get the shifts, because nobody ever hurt their knee with those.
    Haha no, it wasn't with a tech binding. My understanding is that the shift is one of the safer and better downhill performing tech bindings there are. But hey, if you think theres something better out there, please inform me, I'd love to save the money haha

Haha no, it wasn't with a tech binding. My understanding is that the shift is one of the safer and better downhill performing tech bindings there are. But hey, if you think theres something better out there, please inform me, I'd love to save the money haha
    And this is why you keep your Rocker 2s (that you like) with their alpine mount, and score a touring rig on Gear Swap.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

And this is why you keep your Rocker 2s (that you like) with their alpine mount, and score a touring rig on Gear Swap.

... Thom
    this.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

... Thom
    Such a simple and logical answer, why didn't i think of that. Now I just wish my downhill boots fit as good as my touring boots.....

... Thom
    This is what I did. Bought a "used" set up at the local used sporting goods store in my town. I did a double take when I saw the Salmon Rocker 2's with Marker F12 touring bindings. They looked brand new. Bindings never looked like they had been stepped into. Skis looked brand new too. No nicks, scratches. Nothing. Got them for half of what I would have paid new. Tried them out last weekend, and just need to get used to the ski, which was shorter than what I was looking for (178cm) I ski 186cm length normally. I bought a pair of G3 climbing skins on ebay for half the price. (New) Next year I might look for a cheap, lighter ski in the 182-186 length and just have the Marker bindings remounted.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Such a simple and logical answer, why didn't i think of that. Now I just wish my downhill boots fit as good as my touring boots.....
    What kind of bindings are on the Rocker 2s?

If they're STH2s, you could sell them, buy some Warden 13 MNCs to fit your touring boots (if they're stiff enough for inbound use).

You'd have to plug the 2 toe holes closest to the ski tip and drill 2 new holes. The other 6 holes are a perfect match to STH2s.

I realize there are a lot of "ifs", but it's worth mentioning.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I’d buy a used 105-108 underfoot ski and put the kingpins on. Couple hundred bucks tops and your touring like a champ w pretty great powder performance.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

What kind of bindings are on the Rocker 2s?

If they're STH2s, you could sell them, buy some Warden 13 MNCs to fit your touring boots (if they're stiff enough for inbound use).

You'd have to plug the 2 toe holes closest to the ski tip and drill 2 new holes. The other 6 holes are a perfect match to STH2s.

I realize there are a lot of "ifs", but it's worth mentioning.

... Thom
    I've got Marker Jester Shizos from years back. Do you know if they have any hole compatibility with a decent 50/50 binding? Maybe the Kingpin? Not interested in frame bindings

No idea where the Schizo holes are, but I still think your best bet (both financially and from a flexibility perspective) is a touring rig via gear swap.

You seem to be either losing focus, or have an irrational fear of buying used. I don't know why you'd want Kingpins (with their failure history) on a 50/50 ski (Rocker 2s).

I'm sorry I mentioned the binding swap in response to your alpine boot comment.

Take care of the touring rig, and if you find yourself wanting maximum boot flexibility later in the year, swap the Schizos for Warden MNCs on your Rocker 2s.

Right now, @1000-oaks has a great deal on some NIB Vipec Evos - a binding I'd take every day of the week over Kingpins, for all the documented fails that the Kingpin has exhibited. I can't believe no one has snatched these Vipecs up yet.

Assuming you budgeted for Shifts, that leaves your ski budget with about $225 (after the Vipecs), and your Rocker 2s would rip inbounds (with your Schizos) without compromise.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 10-24-2019 at 01:56 AM.
    Galibier Design

No idea where the Schizo holes are, but I still think your best bet (both financially and from a flexibility perspective) is a touring rig via gear swap.

You seem to be either losing focus, or have an irrational fear of buying used. I don't know why you'd want Kingpins (with their failure history) on a 50/50 ski (Rocker 2s).

I'm sorry I mentioned the binding swap in response to your alpine boot comment.

Take care of the touring rig, and if you find yourself wanting maximum boot flexibility later in the year, swap the Schizos for Warden MNCs on your Rocker 2s.

Right now, @1000-oaks has a great deal on some NIB Vipec Evos - a binding I'd take every day of the week over Kingpins, for all the documented fails that the Kingpin has exhibited. I can't believe no one has snatched these Vipecs up yet.

Assuming you budgeted for Shifts, that leaves your ski budget with about $225 (after the Vipecs), and your Rocker 2s would rip inbounds (with your Schizos) without compromise.

... Thom
    I was only mentioning the Kingpins because they're made from the same company as the Schizos so was thinking they might share holes. I was budgeting for shifts, but used shifts, so like $350. I'm not sure I can get a decent touring setup for this much.

I was only mentioning the Kingpins because they're made from the same company as the Schizos so was thinking they might share holes. I was budgeting for shifts, but used shifts, so like $350. I'm not sure I can get a decent touring setup for this much.
    I doubt they'd share holes.

I'll bet you could find a rig for $350. Here's an example (not an offer to sell) ...

I've been pondering selling a pair of 182 Automatic 109s with Vipec Blacks, and my thought was that they'd probably return $300. I think this would be a fair price for both sides, but I decided they're best to keep around as rock skis.

The temptation arose because well, this is TGR (and we're all seriously afflicted), but seriously, I was looking to put the proceeds into a pair of lighter bindings. I have another set of Vipecs so I have that part of the quiver covered.

You could do worse than putting out a "WTB" on Gear Swap and see what turns up. Yeah, you have a low post count which might not endear you to some, but as long as you're not looking for a powder skirt to be included, you should be fine

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Here's your setup. Just do it.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=330503

... Thom
    Galibier Design