Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: London beta

London beta

I just had a change in my vacation plans and my wife and I are going to take a quick detour through London in a few weeks. First time for both of us and we don’t really want to stand in a bunch of lines with other tourists since we are only going to be there for 3 days. Any tips on where to go and what to do? Good pubs, live music?

Borough Market
    The Mayflower Pub
    If your wife likes shopping you have to go to Harrods and/or Selfridges

The Euston Tap (great cider) and the East Lodge (right next to Euston Tap) are a really cool drinking pubs that is built into the guard houses of a victorian area park.

If you want an authentic food pub experience you should try getting away from the touristy areas of London. I recommend checking out Islington for food/drinks/pubs. You might be able to catch a local footy match as well if you start looking for tickets now.

Lastly, you should get used to riding trains and the tube. It's generally easiest to take trains to London from Heathrow or Gatwick and then transfer to the tube at Paddington Station (Heathrow Express) or Victoria Station (Gatwick Express). The tube and bus system are really easy to navigate with Google maps. Uber is an option if it is late night.

I barely recognize the place nowadays. but...

The hop on hop off double decker bus tours are an excellent way to get a lot of sightseeing into a day.. It was always a success with visitors when we were there.

The Museum of London at the Barbican is really good.

Take advantage of the food revolution that's happened - like Borough Market as others have mentioned, more great restaurants than you can shake a stick at.

I'd give the British Museum and National Gallery a miss unless they're a particular target . The Tate Modern is great,

If there's something of special interest then look for a walking tour? There are ones for every historical period, character - real or fictional, event etc.

Hampton Court Palace is spectacular and an easy day trip out of city by public transport.

The only one of the full on must hit popular tourist destinations that you really should go to is the Tower of London... just dripping with history shouldn't be missed.

Particular Pubs? hit a couple of the really old historically important ones - the Lamb & Flag, The Old Bell, Ye Olde Mitre, The George (Borough)

Avoid Harrods like the herp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

A small city. It's dark. Dark in the daytime.

Here are a couple tidbits you won't find in a tourist guide.

Don't wear light colored pants when you walk around. The oil mixes with the rain and coats the back legs of your pants. It won't come out at the cleaners.
    They also put butter and walnuts in all their sandwiches. If you're American, ask for turkey and swiss, no butter or walnuts.

The McLaren dealer is just opposite Hyde Park, tell them Bobby Stainless from Nashville sent you.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Another vote for Borough Market the The George pub. Beyond that, just spend some time walking along the Thames. Lot's of cool old stuff right along the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Here are a couple tidbits you won't find in a tourist guide.

Don't wear light colored pants when you walk around. The oil mixes with the rain and coats the back legs of your pants. It won't come out at the cleaners.
    They also put butter and walnuts in all their sandwiches. If you're American, ask for turkey and swiss, no butter or walnuts.

The McLaren dealer is just opposite Hyde Park, tell them Bobby Stainless from Nashville sent you.
    These are the pro tips I came here for.

If you are in Hyde Park stop by Speakers Corner https://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/...peakers-corner

Borough Market and Tower thirded.
    This place was spectacular: https://www.soane.org/
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

All the suggestions here sound rather pedestrian. I always like to swing by Bond Street and buy something bespoke when I'm in town.

If you're into the shooting sports, perhaps a Holland & Holland over/under? They're on Bruton Street in Mayfair, which is also of great historical significance as it happens to be the the street where the Queen was born. The original home was destroyed in the great war and is now occupied by a Chinese restaurant.

I found Churchill War Rooms very fascinating. Worth a couple of hours if you are at all into WWII.

I always wanted to go to dingwalls.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I always wanted to go to dingwalls.
    I don't think it's quite the place it was in it's prime.

But saw some great shows there back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    I found Churchill War Rooms very fascinating. Worth a couple of hours if you are at all into WWII.
    The Imperial War Museum in Lambeth too. (I can't believe they haven't renamed it yet)

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    The Imperial War Museum in Lambeth too. (I can't believe they haven't renamed it yet)
    To what, the "India, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and other places we conquered at some point in our history" Museum?

To what, the "India, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and other places we conquered at some point in our history" Museum?
    That's horribly insensitive. Imagine if we had days that celebrated such things, much less museums, like Columbus of all people.

The car-spotting in Knightsbridge is a fun sport, but you may be late as all the Saudis will have likely left for the winter.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    I found that the wait can be > 2hrs...so you might want to check the line before you commit.

Also, I found the Assos and Rapha stores overrated.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Also, I found the Assos and Rapha stores overrated.
    I hear you. Mass produced articles, yuck. Those companies probably have outlet stores in DE and PA.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    That's horribly insensitive. Imagine if we had days that celebrated such things, much less museums, like Columbus of all people.
    We have recently tempered the insensitivity by tacking on a "and indigenous peoples" tag to Columbus Day. They can't even get their own holiday, those poor people.

They still haven't renamed Columbus Circle > Columbus and Indigenous Peoples Circle...yet.

We have recently tempered the insensitivity by tacking on a "and indigenous peoples" tag to Columbus Day. They can't even get their own holiday, those poor people.

They still haven't renamed Columbus Circle > Columbus and Indigenous Peoples Circle...yet.
    I see the Imperial War Museum now refers to itself almost exclusively as the IWM

Whats wrong with "Lambeth" perfectly serviceable name for the district.

On the last trip there with the family ...

I kinda enjoyed walking around Greenwich (navel museum, prime meridian, market)
    Bought a circa 1600's map of South Carolina for my parents in a small shop in Notting Hill

tons to see

I see the Imperial War Museum now refers to itself almost exclusively as the IWM
    I did IWM too, but enjoyed the Churchill War Rooms more.

Its concise. They could have gone with "The country which did that thing" War Museum.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    navel museum
    Nice.

Notting Hill is like one giant crapfest.

Interesting stuff can be found.
    I still call it The Jake.