Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Amsterdam Beta: January

I will be spending some time in Amsterdam in late Dec. and early January. My favorite coffee shop is Abraxis. I have hotel reservations Although, I have been Amsterdam many times, I have not been there since 2013, and I haven't been there in January for 20 years. Can anyone recommend great current restaurants, clubs and things to do there during the dead of winter?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Vinkeles for dinners d Van Gogh museum Anne frank house. Reserve now for Anne frank
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Thanks. All good suggestions. Love Vinkeles and Van Gogh museum. Will prolly skip Anne Frank house...mostly because I have been there at least 5X. Looking for interesting music clubs.
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 10-13-2019 at 06:15 PM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

5 times to the anne frank thing? seriously? what did you miss the first 4 times that made you think that a 5th visit was required?

Try these places for more fun/less depressing entertainment....

Jazz Cafe Alto....

http://www.jazz-cafe-alto.nl/

get there early if you want a seat up front. the bar area can get pretty tight.....

don't like the jazz? try Bourbon Street live music club....

https://www.bourbonstreet.nl

of course, skiing is always an option....

https://www.snowworld.com/amsterdam/nl

need more action? try the Wall of Death at Bleekemolens Race Planet Amsterdam......

https://raceplanet.com

have fun man... good time of year to go and avoid the crowds o' tourists.......
    Last edited by m2711c; 10-13-2019 at 07:58 PM.

Thanks mang. I'm going with my son, and he is a Jazz major at college. I'll check it out. Both of these places are right at the same square as The Bulldog? Around the corner from Melkweg?

For a really authentic Dutch grandmother type meal, Hap Ham near the museum district is really good. Tiny little joint and great comfort food.

Mata Hari is right on the edge of the Red Light district and has good food and you get a taste of the scene down there without the debauchery.

Following. Spending a few days there after a work trip to Arë, Sweden in November.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I will be spending some time in Amsterdam in late Dec. and early January. My favorite coffee shop is Abraxis. I have hotel reservations Although, I have been Amsterdam many times, I have not been there since 2013, and I haven't been there in January for 20 years. Can anyone recommend great current restaurants, clubs and things to do there during the dead of winter?
    Lol my fav shop too. Abraxas.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Take your skates. You might get lucky.

For sure. Also, the city opens a huge outdoor skating rink near the Rijks museum in Dec. and Jan.

Hap-Hmm looks cozy and yummy!
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 10-14-2019 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Thanks mang. I'm going with my son, and he is a Jazz major at college. I'll check it out. Both of these places are right at the same square as The Bulldog? Around the corner from Melkweg?
    there are a lot of bulldog cafes.... can’t remember all the locations.

but, ya. these are on the other side of the leidesplain square from the melkweg... about 1/2 a block off the square for alto jazz and 1 1/2 blocks for bourbon street.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    For a really authentic Dutch grandmother type meal, Hap Ham near the museum district is really good. Tiny little joint and great comfort food.
    yuck. i mean dutch comfort food. get some Indonesian food. that's dutch comfort food to me

I've been to Amsterdam many times but have never done the Anne Frank thing or any of the museums.

I was in AMS last month and went over to Haarlem to visit a coworker who lived there. Haarlem is beautiful. It's got a great standard of living and is so much nicer than AMS. It made me wish I had spent more time outside of Amsterdam. I'd like to check out Utrecht, the Hague, Rotterdam and perhaps Middelburg as well.

In other news, this year Amsterdam is starting to crack down on a lot of the things that made it what it was. You can still smoke weed in public (not sure if it is officially legal to smoke in public, but no one cares), but there are signs everywhere reminding tourists that drinking in public, pissing in public, etc are all illegal and will result in fines. There is a strong push to shut down the red light districts and outlaw prostitution. Amsterdam also stopped all advertising campaigns worldwide promoting tourism. Word is that the locals are very tired of the tourists and want their city back- you can kinda feel it walking around.

thumps up on utrecht and I would say den haag and then a tram out to schevinengen

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    yuck. i mean dutch comfort food. get some Indonesian food. that's dutch comfort food to me
    I think it’s got its time and place. After a day spent walking walking around in the cold rain some warm beef stew hits the spot.

Eat and drink with the rest of the Gaepers?

I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Spending a few days there after a work trip to Arë, Sweden in November.
    Åre

Was there last feb- awesome as always:

https://www.restaurantlarive.nl/nl/
    Brasserie NeL for jazz night
    Sluitzer? Restaurant- will find more, flt taking off

Stayed at hotelestherea on the Singel with the wife- very girly jewlebox

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Nice. Thanks for sharing

https://www.sluizer.nl/

and if you'r ereally not fuckin around https://restaurantdekas.com/. Did not go here but was recco'd be a friend whol lived there for years-

Thanks for everything.

De Kas looks great. Maybe not during the middle of winter, though.

I can't believe how many Michelin stars there are in Amsterdam . They would break my budget. The restaurant at my hotel charges Euro 200 per person for dinner. I'm more like a Euro 30-50pp

guess i'll bump this instead of a new thread. fam (and another fam) will have about 24 hrs in Amsterdam mid Dec on our way to Tanzania. hoping we're not too jet lagged to check out a few things. don't think kids would appreciate anne franke. wondering if a boat tour would be a good way to see the city? heard the lights that time of year are cool so maybe an evening tour. also searching for a fam friendly restaurant for picky kids....

I was in Amsterdam for about 24 hours a few months ago. Had a great dinner at Kaap & Tein and a wonderful breakfast at Bakers & Roasters.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    I've been to Amsterdam many times but have never done the Anne Frank thing or any of the museums.

I was in AMS last month and went over to Haarlem to visit a coworker who lived there. Haarlem is beautiful. It's got a great standard of living and is so much nicer than AMS. It made me wish I had spent more time outside of Amsterdam. I'd like to check out Utrecht, the Hague, Rotterdam and perhaps Middelburg as well.

In other news, this year Amsterdam is starting to crack down on a lot of the things that made it what it was. You can still smoke weed in public (not sure if it is officially legal to smoke in public, but no one cares), but there are signs everywhere reminding tourists that drinking in public, pissing in public, etc are all illegal and will result in fines. There is a strong push to shut down the red light districts and outlaw prostitution. Amsterdam also stopped all advertising campaigns worldwide promoting tourism. Word is that the locals are very tired of the tourists and want their city back- you can kinda feel it walking around.
    +1 for Haarlem. I use to stay there and train into AMS