Are junior skis okay for beginner women?

Considering something 140-150cm for my GF, who is off the bunny slope and snowplowing greens, but she is paranoid about falling so she never goes faster than a slow walking speed. Ever. I tell myself patience is a virtue...

A few years ago I bought her a pair of 154 and 158 lengths, but I'm thinking maybe she'd progress faster if she had shorter skis. New old-stock junior skis can often be fond on clearance for just over $100, any reason to spend a more for a woman's beginner ski? She probably weighs 135 lbs, dunno if that's too much for junior skis. She certainly doesn't need to worry about stability at speed, float in pow, or any of that. Don't care if she quickly outgrows the ski either, that's the goal. Go junior?
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 10-13-2019 at 04:24 PM.

Better kid's skis with a wood core are fine for smaller and slower women. Think in terms of Mantra Junior, Mindbender Junior, BC Magnis, QST Ripper, etc. Watch out for 9.5mm screws, though, they might be a bit too long.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Junior skis are $100 new all over the place, any reason to spend a more for a woman's beginner ski? She probably weighs 135 lbs, dunno if that's too much for junior skis.
    I would hesitate to put a 135 lb. woman, no matter how slow she skis, on a $100 (not sure where you find these "all over the place") kids ski. They will be foam core and designed for a 75 lb. body.

^ Thanks for the advice, got her a pair of wood core Mantra Jr's. Should be a lot easier for her.

Just seen 10 yr old kid yesterday who was jumping 5-7ft kickers in the park on candide 0.5 jr. I don't think 135lbs girl can apply same amount of force by just slowly carving on green slopes

Yeah, many junior skis usually don't account for adult bindings. I'm probably off on my numbers but off the top of my head I think the junior bit is 3.6x7.5mm and the adult is 3.6 or 4.1x9.5mm depending on metal in the ski. So, if using adult bindings, watch the screws and if you're drilling, watch the bit and the screws. Skis should have the bit size on them.

Moment's Carson comes in a 146, all wood construction and adult bindings work just fine. Strongly recommend, it is a great all mountain ski. Moment used to make a kids powder skis, the Zephyr. My 4'10 95 lbs wife has been using the Zephyr for three years in I think it is 146, 101 undefoot. They have not made it for a few years,. When I bought the first pair they were a couple of years old. Last year Moment talked about doing a Zephyr run but changed their mind. They found two pair in their warehouse which I bought. One for my wife "just in case" and another for our granddaughter to grow into. She in now 10 yo and is 5'1", mounting them up next weekend. I have been using Salomon Z10, S10 bindings, Din 3 - 10.

Are junior skis okay for beginner women?

Kids bindings may have different lug heights for kids’ boots
    Last edited by 54-46; 10-14-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Consider some unpopular ski-mo skis too. I got my mom on Elan Alaska. It's super light, flexy, good construction and reasonably performant ski. They were also cheap in short size.
    Last edited by daught; 10-14-2019 at 01:35 PM.