Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I put about ten days on a pair of "last years" model. Surfy charger I thought. Mounted on the line and was happy there. Felt light snappy and fun IMO. Easy to kick out the heels when needed. My preference is for a softer ski and to me these felt like a nice balance of flex and power. I liked em.
    5-10 175lb ski 120 days a year in Jackson

They are great skis in both builds don’t let my saltiness confuse that.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    • Approach: ...I take a much more objective approach to ski reviews and truly believe that a ski's fit has many factors to matching a skier. ...I will take a much more specific, detailed approach than typical ski industry standards.
    Thanks for embarking on a long-term review.
    For now, I'm interested in hearing more details about your process to match a ski to your preferences, and specifically how your process led you to choose the PR-OTO this time. Also, did you get a chance to demo the PR-OTO before you bought?

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Has anyone put a tape on the girl size?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Has anyone put a tape on the girl size?
    Straight tape: 178.5
    Mount point: 9.5 behind center

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1572824523.343086.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	254.5 KB 
ID:	300844

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Straight tape: 178.5
    Mount point: 9.5 behind center

Name:	Image1572824523.343086.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	254.5 KB 
ID:	300844
    Awesome, can you do a rocker shot on them?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    Thanks for embarking on a long-term review.
    For now, I'm interested in hearing more details about your process to match a ski to your preferences, and specifically how your process led you to choose the PR-OTO this time. Also, did you get a chance to demo the PR-OTO before you bought?

I have a little bit of history with Dynastar. I've owned a few of their skis. Namely, the Cham 107, the Cham HM 107, and 6th sense slicer. I've also spent a good amount of time on the LPR (shop ski). Even thought the early Cham wasn't "freeride" enough for me in the long run (land backseat and expect your calves to get punched), I have always liked Dynastar. The fact that Dynastar came out with the Proto is very exciting to me, though I have not demoed it.

I like stiff skis, but I also like being in the air. After I got off Dynastar I went to Blizzard because the Gunsmoke and Peacemaker matched my style of skiing almost verbatim. Blizzard has since gone more towards a directional shape with the Rustler series, while Dynastar has gone more "freeride" oriented with the Proto specifically. I'm expecting the Proto to charge like I would expect from Dynastar, but the shape, core, and tip/tail splay & rocker suggest a little more slarvy, air-friendly ski than the LPR or Cham.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    I have a little bit of history with Dynastar. I've owned a few of their skis. Namely, the Cham 107, the Cham HM 107, and 6th sense slicer. I've also spent a good amount of time on the LPR (shop ski). Even thought the early Cham wasn't "freeride" enough for me in the long run (land backseat and expect your calves to get punched), I have always liked Dynastar. The fact that Dynastar came out with the Proto is very exciting to me, though I have not demoed it.

I like stiff skis, but I also like being in the air. After I got off Dynastar I went to Blizzard because the Gunsmoke and Peacemaker matched my style of skiing almost verbatim. Blizzard has since gone more towards a directional shape with the Rustler series, while Dynastar has gone more "freeride" oriented with the Proto specifically. I'm expecting the Proto to charge like I would expect from Dynastar, but the shape, core, and tip/tail splay & rocker suggest a little more slarvy, air-friendly ski than the LPR or Cham.
    Thanks for your reply. I think a skier with your background can make pretty much any ski work just fine, but I'm curious to watch this thread to see if you end up LOVING the Pr-oto, or are just like "meh, good enough". Fun times ahead, either way.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

180cm Dynastar Proto Rocker shots

I pulled trigger a couple weeks ago...
    I do wish they were just a bit longer but the 189's would have been too much for me at our hill.

Here are some pics of the 180cm rocker profile.

Name:	IMG_4481.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	302896

Name:	IMG_4482.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	302894

Name:	IMG_4483.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	302895

Formerly Rludes025

sorry, lost track of this thread. it would have been tough for me to get good rocker/camber shots, since I only have the one ski.

they look good. I've heard the 180 is a blast, super playful.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    sorry, lost track of this thread. it would have been tough for me to get good rocker/camber shots, since I only have the one ski.

they look good. I've heard the 180 is a blast, super playful.
    No apology needed, the mount point info is what I needed to know before pulling trigger.

Formerly Rludes025

Name:	2748932A-B54F-4D23-BE66-3D8EA56FB4C6.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	667.1 KB 
ID:	303052

Formerly Rludes025

Anyone mounted these behind the line? Just picked up a pair of last seasons Factory Protos and thinking of mounting at -1cm.

I played around with the mount point with demo bindings, the line is best in my opinion but others have liked them at -1

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I liked them best at about -1.5. I think it was 2 clicks back on the demo binding.

Name:	IMG_4915.JPG 
Views:	224 
Size:	232.3 KB 
ID:	303663
    Wildcat NH right now

A small update for anyone interested. Information edited into one of the "reserved" posts after the initial post.

I think the tail on these skis is burly and adding length to it probably makes them a handful. These skis want you to ski them and if you don't, they happily laugh at you and run down the fall line.

I should add, the 1st gen "Proto" version are more burly than these, feel 15% or so stiffer.

Update into the "reserved" sections for 2/18/2020 - I will probably update the same post with some pictures and video later.

Nice review DM.

What skis is the charger? M-free 118 189cm or 108 192cm? May be getting a decent deal on these for the winter.

Favourite ski is the R11 in a 192. Slightly worried about going OTB lots with the shorter length of the Mfree 118...

Any one ski both r11 192 and m-free 108 192?

Cheers

bump to say thank you for your thoughts on these skis DM, TAFKALVS and the rest.

I've been singing the MF118's song of praise in the Dynastar thread the last few days - they are just so good skis. I run the 189s, but would def get on 185s if Dynatar were to release such a ski. I went with the Spanish version due to the information here and in the Dynastar thread, so thanks for sharing your knowledge and insight!