Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    OK, I’ll revise my statement to say, it is certainly possible for SOME guys to DIY it. I’ve done it, but I’ve also changed the head gasket on a car.
    Shit, man - I've rebuilt an entire motor... I still wouldn't fuck with those springs.

Other pussies who value their digits should probably pay the repair man.
    Meow.

Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    that was 1/2" hot rolled priced today

it's weird to me the premium people will pay for commodity shit on amazon for "convenience" when it's for a DIY task. I guess it's all about the difficulty of discover in the 2019 internet thanks to google/facebook breaking the fucking thing.

it's imo not that expensive to have a pro do it, and while I don't know how many injurys occur doing it, my grandpa knew someone who died DIYing a fix, so by family tradition I don't touch the fucking thing.
    I prefer the tool I'm using on a job that can have physical injury as a consequence to not bend, hence using cold rolled steel.

I enjoy the sewage business. Very lucrative 33k for 55 ft.
    Imagine 40 five gallon buckets moving for 3 days straight
    Last edited by fastfred; 10-11-2019 at 04:31 PM.

probably best to wait and see what SJG has to say about this.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Shit, man - I've rebuilt an entire motor... I still wouldn't fuck with those springs.
    Check this poor chap out.

"timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    I prefer the tool I'm using on a job that can have physical injury as a consequence to not bend, hence using cold rolled steel.
    what the fuck are you talking about? everything bends. the difference between the alloys you can buy at my vendor aren't that much. but keep up the passive agressive smug, it's what makes this board this board, people will pick a fight and wave their dick about absolutely fucking everything "lol, my cold rolled 1018 steel is so much better for winding garage door springs because I'm so gnar I bend A36 hot rolled".

Garage door repair? Anyone know anything?

I love this thread. I was all primed to say: “Don’t mess with that fucking spring, it killed a friend of a friend when I was younger”. Now I think I’d have it. I’d roll that fucking spring myself around some old pipe I have in the garage.
    I’d use the side door to get in there of course, those fucking doors are killers.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

what the fuck are you talking about? everything bends. the difference between the alloys you can buy at my vendor aren't that much. but keep up the passive agressive smug, it's what makes this board this board, people will pick a fight and wave their dick about absolutely fucking everything "lol, my cold rolled 1018 steel is so much better for winding garage door springs because I'm so gnar I bend A36 hot rolled".
    "Make Your Own Springs for Fun and Profit"
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Springs?

Buncha horseshit if you ask me.

Just use magnets.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Springs?

Buncha horseshit if you ask me.

Just use magnets.

This.

leftover treadmill parts
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I love this thread. I was all primed to say: “Don’t mess with that fucking spring, it killed a friend of a friend when I was younger”. Now I think I’d have it. I’d roll that fucking spring myself around some old pipe I have in the garage.
    I’d use the side door to get in there of course, those fucking doors are killers.

I have some old curtain rods lying around, should work.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I paid a pro.

Maybe I probably coulda done it? Take way too long researching, procrastinating, maybe get the right part, always wonder if it's right, and maybe get hurt in the process .. and not use my garage for however long.

Nah, I just paid what 150 and had it done immediately. Correctly. Warrantee-dly.

I make a crappy wage per hour - and it was absolutely worth paying.

wow, triggered. i'm a profession mechanic and i do shit right, jeezus kerist

Been on both sides of this.

Back when I was a teenager, my dad and I replaced one of the two springs on our two car garage door. He's a midwest farm boy so instruction manuals are for sissies, he sees how this works, you only replace the broken piece, blah blah blah. Probably took us the whole day to get it all taken apart and put back together and tensioned. Except during tensioning the bar we were using to hold the head slipped out and shot across the garage. Did not hurt us, but seeing what happened, that would fuck you up for sure if you were in the line of fire. Immediate missing digit.

Less than a month later, the other spring broke. We called a guy, and it was pretty much 50% parts, 50% labor. Dude chastised my dad for not replacing both at the same time.

Fast forward 25 years and my springs broke. Called a guy and it was still 50/50 parts to labor, and he lubed every roller and hinge so it doesn't squeak at all anymore. And they were done in an hour. Money well spent.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Unrelated to the broken spring. I recently replaced our 20 yo opener with a Chamberlin direct drive unit, so much better. As long as you have a torsion spring it clamps directly to the end of the spring shaft. No chain, belt or screw and no track across the ceiling. Never did one before but running the wires from the electric eye and the wall remote took way longer than opener installation. If power is close by an installation is maybe an hour. Also has a dead bolt lock that automatically locks door down. WIFI on phone to open or close or one included remote. Noise??, nope quietest opener I have ever heard. A little more expensive but well worth it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chamberlin opener.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	257.3 KB 
ID:	297589
    Last edited by bigdude2468; 10-13-2019 at 05:53 AM.

Yeah, I think you just need to think about the potential energy in a wound spring and decide whether you'd want to risk fucking up. Decision seems easy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Unrelated to the broken spring. I recently replaced our 20 yo opener with a Chamberlin direct drive unit, so much better. As long as you have a torsion spring it clamps directly to the end of the spring shaft. No chain, belt or screw and no track across the ceiling. Never did one before but running the wires from the electric eye and the wall remote took way longer than opener installation. If power is close by an installation is maybe an hour. Also has a dead bolt lock that automatically locks door down. WIFI on phone to open or close or one included remote. Noise??, nope quietest opener I have ever heard. A little more expensive but well worth it.
    Cool.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    probably best to wait and see what SJG has to say about this.

If I'm working I pay a pro, for anything more involved than changing oil and filters, shit I can do faster than scheduling and waiting for someone else to do it when I could be skiing or fishing or whatever. If I'm unemployed, and it's something I have no clue about I keep trying to fix it over and over until I have a job again and can pay a pro to fix it right..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

My dad can fix most anything, wire a shop for 220v, build a garage, fix the air handler, rebuild an engine, etc. Spent his life around heavy equipment and construction sites. He always said don’t fuck with those god damn garage door springs.

Last winter the big orange WARNING STICKER fell off the spring on my garage door. I called the repair guy to come out and place a new warning sticker on the spring.
    Some things I'm going to leave to the professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Last winter the big orange WARNING STICKER fell off the spring on my garage door. I called the repair guy to come out and place a new warning sticker on the spring.
    Some things I'm going to leave to the professionals.
    https://youtu.be/BAaoHX9KiWY

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    If I'm working I pay a pro, for anything more involved than changing oil and filters, shit I can do faster than scheduling and waiting for someone else to do it when I could be skiing or fishing or whatever. If I'm unemployed, and it's something I have no clue about I keep trying to fix it over and over until I have a job again and can pay a pro to fix it right..
    you ski and fish
    never wouda guessed
    I figured you more of a e-whatevarz guy
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    you ski and fish
    never wouda guessed
    I figured you more of a e-whatevarz guy
    I need to get back to the fishing. Past 10 years on the water were spent helping my kids and a scout troop keep their lines baited and untangled. I did get a few personal casts in at Yellowstone two summers ago but not even a nibble that day. Skiing still happens about every month weather permitting.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!