Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Nice! Hope you like them. They even handled a bit of wind pressed snow well without issue. Id like a few more days before they get the full pass and even more days to see how durable they are. The ease to turn the screws after i was through the metal was unnerving but i havent turned a screw into an ul ski with metal before

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    Interesting to know as I’ll mount them myself. For the price I couldn’t say no. Still have my eye on some faction prime 2.0’s

Sorry Thom, theyre keepers unless on3p makes another steeple 102 a fair bit lighter. Thought you might have found some after i saw your ld ad

You know me ... always looking for sloppy seconds ;-) I should refresh that WTB in gear swap.

...Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Interesting to know as I’ll mount them myself. For the price I couldn’t say no. Still have my eye on some faction prime 2.0’s
    Same for me. Pretty cheap. Same with the xenics
    I know nothing about faction. Was looking at the skis "commencal" has now. Decent numbers and price. Theyre made by faction. Then a friend directed me to reddit discussion on faction with lots of delam talk. Seem to work for Candide

Just to clarify, for everyone that is praising the camox, are you on the newer lightweight version? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    Just to clarify, for everyone that is praising the camox, are you on the newer lightweight version? Thanks
    Not sure. Mine are 1540g each

Not sure. Mine are 1540g each

Guessing those are the lighter new ones:

2500g/pair @160 - 2750g/pair @166 - 2900g/pair @172 - 3000g/pair @178 - 3200g/pair @183 - 3300g/pair @188

The lighter ones have been around a couple seasons now. They are 96 underfoot, the previous version is 97

Yes I have light 183 and it’s a great early season and spring setup with vipec. Really light but stable.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I've now gotten a few days in on mine (the newer-ish lighter versions), both in spring corn and winter powder/variable. I really like them for a spring ski and for a longer day winter ski. Float is good for the size, and they charge uphill. They're torsionally stiffer than the other touring skis I've had, which is really confidence-inspiring when things get steep.

Camox freebird. Any reviews?

My 188’s I just got came in at 1580 and 1590 still in plastic. Nice to see a ski under weight for a change. Salomon Mtn 95’s are like 130g over....
    Last edited by CaliBrit; 02-26-2020 at 05:20 PM.

My 188’s I just got came in at 1580 and 1590 still in plastic. Nice to see a ski under weight for a change. Salomon Mtn 95’s are like 130g....
    Have you skied the Salmon 95's also? Considering that or the Camox as a daily driver.

My 183s came in at 1515 and 1573g.

Quote Originally Posted by abcdethan View Post
    Have you skied the Salmon 95's also? Considering that or the Camox as a daily driver.
    I didn’t. I had 3 pairs in my possession including a warranty exchange for overweight ski. All were well over spec. One pair like 170g per ski. It annoyed me so I didn’t mount and ski them. Probably just should have and I wouldn’t be here now haha.

Got some time this week on my 2020 188 camox freebird / Alpinist 12 / F1 setup. Pretty damn stoked. Mounted just slightly fwd of the -8.5 recommended line...call it 8.2. Actual weight 1623 g. Hardpack/corn/4” powder/6” sun affected powmank....worked well, very predictable and relatively damp considering the weight.

Current touring quiver (190-192cm) ranges from carbon and wood versions of praxis ND8, carbon GPO, zero G 108, voile chargers, Wailer pure RPC ‘112’ 115, and some others I’m forgetting. The Camox feels like my all rounder touring ski for anything other than the deep days. I’ve bought and sold a lot of shitrando skis from Trab etc...it’s cool that we have light skis now that ski pretty well. The old school zeroG 108 is a higher performance ski than the camox, and benefits from a stiffer boot, but this years zeroG 105 is a bit softer and mild mannered & reminds me of the camox feel.
    Last edited by frorider; 04-03-2020 at 09:25 PM.

Nice! Im going to take mine out tomorrow. I ski them with my vulcans without the tongues. Wasnt sure id like a ski with that small of a radius but they float well for a ski that narrow and they can be pushed with the vulcan. The narrow tail in comparison to the shovel along with the camber keep it pretty versatile.

Guessing those are the lighter new ones:

2500g/pair @160 - 2750g/pair @166 - 2900g/pair @172 - 3000g/pair @178 - 3200g/pair @183 - 3300g/pair @188
    Just saw this. Mine might be the old ones. Theyre 172.2's and 3080g

I can easily imagine skiing these with my Vulcans w/o tongues. At the same time, the camox fb has enough torsional stiffness that you can lay down some hip-on-the-snow arcs.

Just wish the edges were full width. I’m gonna be careful in rocky zones.

Yes they do seem stable for such a light ski and some power to them. I wasnt expecting that. I agree on the durability too. Remains to be seen but i have a lot more confidense in my old yetis than i do with these. The price was right and it does feel and look like theyve put some thought into these. Only a couple days on rthem so far though

I'm in the market for a spring time volcano/low tide touring ski for PNW. I currently tour on Corvus Freebird w/ Tectons and no real complaints. Prior to the Corvus, I demo'd the Navi Freebird for a few days, they were alright, but I found them too narrow for the deep powder we got at Baker. You guys think the Camox Freebird would be a good compliment for Corvus or should I go a little narrower? These will pretty much only be used on dry days, any snow in the forecast and I'll just hop on the Corvus.

I think so but for me thatd as narrow as i want to go. Yesterday confirmed that rheyre very good. Had some nice shin deep pow but it was on top of a varied refrozen surface that was a mix of smooth with some soft slide debris and older hard debris. Still surprised how little they get kicked around. That couldve been excused yesterday but there was no problem. Can carve or easily transition into a pivot. The shorter 172's i bought are working well. Paid their way on the sidehill uptrack with the frozen surface with the odd switchback under the new pow. Attachment 324156Attachment 324157Attachment 324158

Got me a pair too in the 178cm (I'm about that tall and 76kg). Hoping to use them this southern season. I have skied a fair bit on the Mtn Ex 95, so should be able to offer a good comparison. For me, I loved the Mtn Ex for everything except steep firm snow, where it felt like it had a bit too much sidecut.

As for the Corvus FB, that ski looks great. Seen some guys really tearing it up, even in resort on those things. But if you can suck up a a couple hundred grams, you could be on the full Corvus. Pair that with a Tecton for a rig thats not too heavy but can truly fang down. Same for Nocta vs Ferox.

Normal Corvus switched to full rocker, which I'm not a fan of. Also the Corvus Freebird is pink!

I’m considering the Camox FB against the RMU Apostle 98 wood core for touring. Weight is about the same, dimensions about the same. Anybody have experience on both skis? I know the apostle 98 wood core isn’t targeted to BC but the weight would indicate otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by thecazdog View Post
    Got me a pair too in the 178cm (I'm about that tall and 76kg). Hoping to use them this southern season. I have skied a fair bit on the Mtn Ex 95, so should be able to offer a good comparison. For me, I loved the Mtn Ex for everything except steep firm snow, where it felt like it had a bit too much sidecut.

As for the Corvus FB, that ski looks great. Seen some guys really tearing it up, even in resort on those things. But if you can suck up a a couple hundred grams, you could be on the full Corvus. Pair that with a Tecton for a rig thats not too heavy but can truly fang down. Same for Nocta vs Ferox.
    Sorry to bump this - but did you ski the Camox since you got them? And how do they compare with the MTN Ex 95?

Did get a few days on them - I definitely rate them higher than the Mtn Ex 95. They feel a bit more playful whilst still having good edge hold and surprisingly good stability at speed for their weight. Mtn Ex 95 is by no means a bad ski, but I think the Camox FB edges it out in almost every regard. SkiRando review is along the same lines...there's quite a few sources now confirming how good this ski is, so you cant really go wrong.