Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ^^^That’s a great point. There definitely was a transition for me but now I really like the difference. I think it’s kind of fun to specifically have that difference, I like the challenge.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    How much have you skied on ultralight skis? It can take a lot of skiing on light gear before it stops feeling like a huge trade off. And you're a big dude.

I would personally take some Zero G 85's with SSL 2.0's and Scarpa F1's on a Euro traverse. But I think being able to enjoy and even take advantage of such a setup takes time. It's not that's it's all that hard, or you need to be an amazing skier (although it helps to not suck), there is just an adjustment period. You learn to be more centered, compact and controlled rather than expecting a ski to bail you out if you overextend yourself in some way. You start anticipating when skis might get deflected and pick your line accordingly. Once you adjust and start skiing this way without thinking about it the feeling of being unencumbered is worth it if you're covering a lot of ground. You kind of have to commit to it though.

For some folks the trade off is never worth it, especially people as big as you. If you haven't used weight weenie gear, and don't intend to spend a lot of time on it before your trip, I'd recommend something like a Head Kore 93 on the light end and even something like a Blizzard Rustler 9 on the heavy end. Maybe the Camox Freebird fits, although IIRC it's fairly soft. Maybe not be ideal for someone your size.
    Good points. The guys who bitch about lack of rear spine support on their XT Free 130s need not apply ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

One option is renting while you are there. There is a shop next to the Cham Ex guide office near the base of the Midi. Either you don't have to haul skis, can rent depending on conditions, swap ski for before and after, etc.

That is what I did on my last trip. It was cheaper then paying airline baggage fees, plus I was traveling two weeks before and after my time in Cham so didn't have to haul skis across Europe.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    One option is renting while you are there. There is a shop next to the Cham Ex guide office near the base of the Midi. Either you don't have to haul skis, can rent depending on conditions, swap ski for before and after, etc.

That is what I did on my last trip. It was cheaper then paying airline baggage fees, plus I was traveling two weeks before and after my time in Cham so didn't have to haul skis across Europe.
    Sanglard Sports? It's been a million years since I've been there. I remember them as being a great shop with a climbing focus.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Sanglard Sports? It's been a million years since I've been there. I remember them as being a great shop with a climbing focus.

... Thom
    Possibly Concept Pro Shop at the bottom of the Midi.