Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Damn, now TWO instances of the NBA putting the gag on free speech at a game, in America, to please Chairman Mao in less than 24 hours!

I guess Hong Kong related merch just isn't as fashionable as a Kaep jersey?

Shine those boots Silver!

https://nypost.com/2019/10/10/how-th...american-soil/
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    Well, if the past is any indicator, no you are not.
    Don’t really understand your comment, but we did win the Cold War. Plenty of sacrifices were made and I don’t remember US companies bending over backwards, although to be fair the economic incentive was not as great.

Either way, it is clear that China wants to compete with the US and Western world for which model is better. Our current political situation is not helping our case...

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    Don’t really understand your comment, but we did win the Cold War. Plenty of sacrifices were made and I don’t remember US companies bending over backwards, although to be fair the economic incentive was not as great.

Either way, it is clear that China wants to compete with the US and Western world for which model is better. Our current political situation is not helping our case...
    I meant that in a lot of cases the US consumer has voted for lower priced merchandise from questionable regimes in favor of "homemade" product possibly of a higher price. The current model of companies worrying about quarterly profits doesn't bode well when you are fighting a commercial battle against a culture that looks decades into the future.
    The US won the cold war against the USSR but arguably lost every "hot war" since Korea and is possibly losing this economic war with China now.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

we did win the Cold War....
    Tough ass people raised in the great depression and world war II did that.
    Now we have baby boomers who would guarantee the rest of us die in a lake of fire if they could trade it for 5 more years of Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville Golden Years 10mpg Cadillac Escalade Blood Orgy.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Now we have baby boomers who would guarantee the rest of us die in a lake of fire if they could trade it for 5 more years of Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville Golden Years 10mpg Cadillac Escalade Blood Orgy.
    Sir, you are many things, but chiefly you're a brilliant fucking wordsmith.

And that's after they passed the Civil Rights Act, ended the Vietnam War, and impeached Nixon then tore down The Berlin Wall. After they got their pensions and 401Ks it became, FUCK YOU we got ours!
    Last edited by SumJongGuy; 10-10-2019 at 06:50 PM.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

China Bans South Park

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    I meant that in a lot of cases the US consumer has voted for lower priced merchandise from questionable regimes in favor of "homemade" product possibly of a higher price. The current model of companies worrying about quarterly profits doesn't bode well when you are fighting a commercial battle against a culture that looks decades into the future.
    The US won the cold war against the USSR but arguably lost every "hot war" since Korea and is possibly losing this economic war with China now.
    Totally agree. China is not the only issue. Look at Saudi Arabia. Killed an American journalist and boxing, WWE, and F1 racing are chasing the $$$ and holding events there. Facebook created a platform that allows foreign nations to run a covert influence campaign at a fraction of what it used to cost and where is the outrage? At least investors are making money in the short run...
    Last edited by hercule33; 10-10-2019 at 11:17 PM.

China Bans South Park

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    And that's after they passed the Civil Rights Act, ended the Vietnam War, and impeached Nixon then tore down The Berlin Wall. After they got their pensions and 401Ks it became, FUCK YOU we got ours!
    Actually the baby boomers became the major voting block when Reagan came into power. They cut taxes for themselves, blew up the debt, fixed social security only for themselves and ignored climate change because they would die before its effects could really be felt. Now they are bitching about millennials eating avocado toast...

No doubt all those are prime examples of doing business with shitty regimes in the name of cheap consumer goods or a better stock price; but the difference here is an American institution, penalizing Americans (or at the very least criticizing/failing to support) on American soil for running afoul of Communist Party of China sensibilities (never mind on an app that is not available and banned in China as Hugh correctly pointed out), all so they can protect the bottom line.

No matter what your stripes, as an American you should unequivocally say that shit is fucked.

Fuck the NBA. Gotta make them pay for that shit. Oh you’re worried about China being pissed? Take a hit in your home market you cowardly kowtowing bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    No doubt all those are prime examples of doing business with shitty regimes in the name of cheap consumer goods or a better stock price; but the difference here is an American institution, penalizing Americans (or at the very least criticizing/failing to support) on American soil for running afoul of Communist Party of China sensibilities (never mind on an app that is not available and banned in China as Hugh correctly pointed out), all so they can protect the bottom line.

No matter what your stripes, as an American you should unequivocally say that shit is fucked.
    I will point you to the NFL kneeling protests. The prevalent argument against kneeling was that people watch sports as a relief from the nasty divided political climate. Otherwise you were just silencing players of color who were using their first amendment right to bring light to an issue of racial injustice. Never mind that Russia was pitting both sides against each other on social media, we don’t want to mix politics and sports. The same argument could be used by the NBA and China.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    you cowardly kowtowing bastards.
    I see what you did there.

Heard this segment last night: https://www.npr.org/2019/10/10/76856...ts-complicated

Factory owner in China talks to NPR reporters, Chinese state security shows up mid-interview. There is a lot to unpack in there. You need to listen to the full piece, the arrival of the thought police is omitted from the written article.

I will point you to the NFL kneeling protests. The prevalent argument against kneeling was that people watch sports as a relief from the nasty divided political climate. Otherwise you were just silencing players of color who were using their first amendment right to bring light to an issue of racial injustice. Never mind that Russia was pitting both sides against each other on social media, we don’t want to mix politics and sports. The same argument could be used by the NBA and China.
    But one is being critical of 'Murika duran da athmum so that automatically disspects are troops.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    This can only end with Kaepernick himself saying something about how the Uighur issue is more complicated than people think

Attachment 297184
    I’d like to see what would happen to Nike if all their athletes started tweeting.

To take a play from the yabutwhattabouters.. Until we're ready to pay 3 times what we currently pay for just about everything, smartphones, TVs, cars, and ya ski gear it all rings a bit hollow. I do think it would be hilarious if like half of a sold out stadium showed up wearing Kaep jerseys to a playoff game... and of course they would be Chinese made jerseys.. at least mine is..

China Bans South Park

To take a play from the yabutwhattabouters.. Until we're ready to pay 3 times what we currently pay for just about everything, smartphones, TVs, cars, and ya ski gear it all rings a bit hollow. I do think it would be hilarious if like half of a sold out stadium showed up wearing Kaep jerseys to a playoff game... and of course they would be Chinese made jerseys.. at least mine is..
    I think that’s a false choice. China is a complicated issue that involves many aspects from military to trade and human rights. I don’t think anyone thinks the correct answer is to just stop buying things made in China. One thing we can do to start is fix the issues that we are having at home such as the huge political polarization or debate what responsibilities do US companies have to human rights or are they 100% about the shareholders.

IOne thing we can do to start is fix the issues that we are having at home such as the huge political polarization or debate what responsibilities do US companies have to human rights or are they 100% about the shareholders.
    Back through the 90s we enforced The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act more strictly. It seems that nowadays we have more loopholes than teeth for that. TL/DR basically says US firms are (more like were) not allowed to do anything while conducting business overseas that would be illegal to do on US soil.. Applied to EPA. OSHA, child labor, etc.. Now they just hide behind subcontractors and paper to bring goods in that were made in violation of US labor and environmental law. Also outlawed bribes and other influence peddling..

Back through the 90s we enforced The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act more strictly..
    I'd stick to collecting really ugly shoes if I were you.

http://fcpa.stanford.edu/statistics-...ics.html?tab=1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	297365
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I'd stick to collecting really ugly shoes if I were you.

http://fcpa.stanford.edu/statistics-...ics.html?tab=1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	297365
    That's highly correlated to the overall globalization. More outsourcing results in more potential violations. The discussion we're having about Foxcon and other ridiculous slavery is proof it isn't really enforced well.

Wish more of those Vans were older US made. Vietnam is better than China isn't it??

Fuck Emperor Xi and Fuck the CCP

Long live Matt and Trey
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeroy JENKINS?
    press f to pay respects
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Wow. Trey Parker and Matt Stone have it right.:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/12/dj-z...ark-tweet.html

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

King James’ week off to a rough start after stepping in it last night. Man, you only had 1 week to prepare a comment for a question that you knew was coming.

Tough ass people raised in the great depression and world war II did that.
    Actually the baby boomers became the major voting block when Reagan came into power. They cut taxes for themselves, blew up the debt, fixed social security only for themselves and ignored climate change because they would die before its effects could really be felt. Now they are bitching about millennials eating avocado toast...

Actually, there seems to have been a large gap in political activism over the last 30 years, basically spanning two generations of video game and television anesthetization, a nation completely complacent with how things were going, incapable of caring or rallying to ensure their future, to change the shit, to make a difference.

But, hey, if it's convenient to blame the baby boomers, don't let me interrupt.
    At least in the 70's we stopped the war and impeached a fucktard president nowhere near as bad as what we have now. Yeah, I was on the streets protesting then and I think anyone who ain't boots on the ground now is an XZ whiner whose facebook posts are sorely mistaken for activism.