Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    I don’t understand your point. Plenty of black people and white people condemned his quote. Just the existence of the meme you published shows the backlash.
    My point is that you seem to defend or trivialize the outrageous comments from James by saying Silver is worse and more relevant. Nothing similar to defend or trivialize Kanye's slightly more outrageous comments?

To me, at least LeBron walked back some of his.. West has doubled down...

I'm not in the shut up and dribble camp. I'm all for everyone speaking their minds regardless of their position and level of notoriety. That is, as long as they own it along with the reaction to it..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

No one in China cares about, or wears an Adam Silver Jersey.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    My point is that you seem to defend or trivialize the outrageous comments from James by saying Silver is worse and more relevant. Nothing similar to defend or trivialize Kanye's slightly more outrageous comments?

To me, at least LeBron walked back some of his.. West has doubled down...

I'm not in the shut up and dribble camp. I'm all for everyone speaking their minds regardless of their position and level of notoriety. That is, as long as they own it along with the reaction to it..
    The difference is their status. When two people say the same thing and one is the president of the United States and the other is a nobody, then the president’s comments are going to get more press and scrutiny. Why? Because he is the president.

LeBron is a player. A popular player but still just a player. He does not make business decisions for the NBA. At the end of the day all he can do quit or get fired if he decides to stand for his principles. That’s it.

That’s not the case for Silver. Silver is the head of the NBA. It’s his job to decide whether the NBA stands for free speech or profits. Whatever he decides, his employees including LeBron have to follow.

Going back Kanye. Lots of nobodies have said much stupider things about slavery. Why aren’t we talking about them? Because they don’t have platform that Kanye has. Because of that platform his statements are held to a different standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    No one in China cares about, or wears an Adam Silver Jersey.

Yeah and Silver knows that. That’s part of the reason he sends them out to be pro China. He also then gets to be the good guy and all the folks at home are outraged at the players. Win-win for him. Doesn’t make it right though.

China Bans South Park

The difference is their status. When two people say the same thing and one is the president of the United States and the other is a nobody, then the president’s comments are going to get more press and scrutiny. Why? Because he is the president.

LeBron is a player. A popular player but still just a player. He does not make business decisions for the NBA. At the end of the day all he can do quit or get fired if he decides to stand for his principles. That’s it.

That’s not the case for Silver. Silver is the head of the NBA. It’s his job to decide whether the NBA stands for free speech or profits. Whatever he decides, his employees including LeBron have to follow.

Going back Kanye. Lots of nobodies have said much stupider things about slavery. Why aren’t we talking about them? Because they don’t have platform that Kanye has. Because of that platform his statements are held to a different standard.
    You’ve got the Lebron role backwards in the analogy. No one knows or cares what Silver says. In this analogy Lebron is potus in this scenario, so he gets the attention and the heat. I’m only surprised he wasn’t smart enough to stay quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    You’ve got the Lebron role backwards in the analogy. No one knows or cares what Silver says. In this analogy Lebron is potus in this scenario, so he gets the attention and the heat. I’m only surprised he wasn’t smart enough to stay quiet.

LeeeBron is not dumb, he's smart enough to know he should have shut up. He had a week to think about it after initially deflecting while in the people's republic.

His baby is fucking Space Jam 2 and China is the biggest market for it. They only allow something like 30 foreign films to be shown in China every year. He so badly wants this turd 25 years in the making to be one of those. That's why he spoke out. The lifetime Nike deal probably factored in too a bit.

Protect the brand, always. Bron isn't a basketball player, he's his own business.
    I still call it The Jake.

China Bans South Park

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    This is ridiculous. You obviously don’t understand how business works. LeBron is an employee of the NBA. So is Morey. China didn’t allegedly ask LeBron to fire Morey, they asked Silver.

Nobody cares what Silver thinks? Um, the Chinese government that has full control over basketball in China does. The Chinese government also controls the media and can ban its citizens from wearing LeBron shirts. They think that Silver is powerful enough to shut up his employees. That’s why they allegedly asked Silver, not LeBron, to fire Morey. It’s Silver who can send the message: speak bad of the Chinese government and you will be fired. What the hell can LeBron do?
    Last edited by hercule33; 10-18-2019 at 11:23 PM.

China Bans South Park

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

LeeeBron is not dumb, he's smart enough to know he should have shut up. He had a week to think about it after initially deflecting while in the people's republic.

His baby is fucking Space Jam 2 and China is the biggest market for it. They only allow something like 30 foreign films to be shown in China every year. He so badly wants this turd 25 years in the making to be one of those. That's why he spoke out. The lifetime Nike deal probably factored in too a bit.

Protect the brand, always. Bron isn't a basketball player, he's his own business.
    Not true. A media event was cancelled in China because LeBron and other players didn’t want to address the press on the China issue while Silver was hiding. When the media finally got to LeBron you saw what happened. Get your facts straight.

Either way it’s Silver’s job to address the media on this issue. Next time LeBron is sitting, send Silver into the game and see how well he does on the court. That’s what Silver asked LeBron to do while he was hiding from the media.

As for LeBron protecting his brand, there are two sides of every story. It’s a fact that LeBron could retire tomorrow and not earn a cent for the rest of his life and still have more money than both of us will make in our lifetimes. It’s the middle class folks employed by the NBA who will really feel the pain when they lose their jobs due to declining revenues.
    Last edited by hercule33; 10-18-2019 at 11:19 PM.

Not true. A media event was cancelled in China because LeBron and other players didn’t want to address the press on the China issue while Silver was hiding. When the media finally got to LeBron you saw what happened. Get your facts straight.

Either way it’s Silver’s job to address the media on this issue. Next time LeBron is sitting, send Silver into the game and see how well he does on the court. That’s what Silver asked LeBron to do while he was hiding from the media.

As for LeBron protecting his brand, there are two sides of every story. It’s a fact that LeBron could retire tomorrow and not earn a cent for the rest of his life and still have more money than both of us will make in our lifetimes. It’s the middle class folks employed by the NBA who will really feel the pain when they lose their jobs due to declining revenues.
    I have no clue what your point is.

What about my post is not true? Bron had a chance to speak in China, he said he didn’t want to, media event or not. You telling me the Chinese sent the traveling press pool home, never mind the man has a fucking current events tv show and a multimedia company? Saying nothing imho was the right thing to do, presser or not.

He got home, got the question he was expecting for an entire week and boofoo’d it. End of story.

He spoke because he’s more invested in this going away than anyone else but Silver/the Association. Plain and simple.

Not that it matters, but I’ve met the guy a couple times. We’re not friends and he likely couldn’t pick me out of a lineup, but we’ve got quite a bit of overlap in our NE OH connections. Every single person I’ve spoken to in that network this past week has confirmed that the only reason he spoke was to protect his business interests there. They also all think it was a poor decision for his brand.

He’s bigger than Silver, and as big as the Association. Retirement accounts or whatever you think constitutes the other side of the coin don’t factor into these decisions.

I have no clue what your point is.

What about my post is not true? Bron had a chance to speak in China, he said he didn’t want to, media event or not. You telling me the Chinese sent the traveling press pool home, never mind the man has a fucking current events tv show and a multimedia company? Saying nothing imho was the right thing to do, presser or not.

He got home, got the question he was expecting for an entire week and boofoo’d it. End of story.

He spoke because he’s more invested in this going away than anyone else but Silver/the Association. Plain and simple.

Not that it matters, but I’ve met the guy a couple times. We’re not friends and he likely couldn’t pick me out of a lineup, but we’ve got quite a bit of overlap in our NE OH connections. Every single person I’ve spoken to in that network this past week has confirmed that the only reason he spoke was to protect his business interests there. They also all think it was a poor decision for his brand.

He’s bigger than Silver, and as big as the Association. Retirement accounts or whatever you think constitutes the other side of the coin don’t factor into these decisions.
    I am starting to think that you guys aren’t OK with a black man having a huge platform.

LeBron is as big as the NBA? That’s your argument? I’m not going to dignify that with a response.

He’s bigger than Silver, the head of the NBA? Well if you think that LeBron is as big as the NBA itself that may be true. But I also have some ocean front property in Arizona I can sell you.

I guess you forgot the fact that he is an employee of the NBA. Or the fact that the press conference where he spoke, he was speaking as an employee of the NBA not a private citizen. I am sure the NBA loves it when their employees act in the interest of their brand not the NBAs when they are representing the NBA. I am sure that Silver has no power to influence what employees can and can’t say especially when they are representing the brand. I am sure that Silver can’t fire LeBron for any reason without cause, as is usually stipulated in sport contracts. I am sure that without the NBA LeBron would be huge in China and America.

Nope, the guy that holds all the cards is LeBron. That’s why he, not Silver is negotiating with China.

I am starting to think that you guys aren’t OK with a black man having a huge platform.

LeBron is as big as the NBA? That’s your argument? I’m not going to dignify that with a response.

He’s bigger than Silver, the head of the NBA? Well if you think that LeBron is as big as the NBA itself that may be true. But I also have some ocean front property in Arizona I can sell you.

I guess you forgot the fact that he is an employee of the NBA. Or the fact that the press conference where he spoke, he was speaking as an employee of the NBA not a private citizen. I am sure the NBA loves it when their employees act in the interest of their brand not the NBAs when they are representing the NBA. I am sure that Silver has no power to influence what employees can and can’t say especially when they are representing the brand. I am sure that Silver can’t fire LeBron for any reason without cause, as is usually stipulated in sport contracts. I am sure that without the NBA LeBron would be huge in China and America.

Nope, the guy that holds all the cards is LeBron. That’s why he, not Silver is negotiating with China.
    None of this word soup addressed my one and only question of what was factually incorrect with my post or why Bron said anything. You doubled down on your implied everyone is racist against the black guy schtick too for added bonus, despite it being a complete nonsequitur. So good job staying consistent to your brand.

China Bans South Park

None of this word soup addressed my one and only question of what was factually incorrect with my post or why Bron said anything. You doubled down on your implied everyone is racist against the black guy schtick too for added bonus, despite it being a complete nonsequitur. So good job staying consistent to your brand.
    I was going to address what was wrong in your previous post but the you said that LeBron was as big the NBA in the same post so I thought I would focus on that ridiculous statement. But since you can’t read between the lines, I will spell it out.

You claimed that the reason LeBron spoke out against China was only to protect his brand. Nike, his stupid movie etc. That is simply not true. He was also protecting the NBA brand. That’s a fact. Both are true.

It looks to me like you are naive enough to think that LeBron is as big as the NBA so you may not believe this. His friends and associates are never going to admit that the NBA would pressure him not to say anti China stuff. They understand that if the NBA suffers, so does LeBron. They get it, that if LeBron becomes too much of a liability to the NBA they will have no choice but to fire him without cause.

But you are too blinded by LeBron’s worth to see that. He’s as big as the NBA. If he gets fired he will start his own league. It won’t effect his legacy or his financials, which you claim are the most important thing to him.

No one is firing Lebron. Lebron is firing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    that's a mighty broad brush.
    Everybody loves a broad brush! ;-)

No one is firing Lebron. Lebron is firing them.

Lol, you are right. LeBron is as big as the US economy. He, not the Trump administration, should be negotiating with China on a trade deal.

Seriously, South Park should do an episode how white people freak out when a “basketball player” gets rich.

You think the NBA pressured Lebron? Lmao. More lmao. Wow, you really are committed to your nonsense.

China Bans South Park

Lol, you are right. LeBron is as big as the US economy. He, not the Trump administration, should be negotiating with China on a trade deal.

Seriously, South Park should do an episode how white people freak out when a “basketball player” gets rich.
    The only reason Lebron took issue with the Rockets Manager is because white guys are not allowed to complain. Especially white guys in Management.

You really are committed to virtue signaling that everyone is racist against Bron aren’t you?

Since you seem to have just found this corner of the forums why don’t you ask around, I think you’d be hard pressed to find a bigger supporter of him here than me. I hope he earns a trillion dollars in his lifetime. I think he’s a fantastic role model, has made consistently good business decisions, and does amazing things for NE Ohio. But yeah, we all hate the rich black man. Get the fuck outta here.

I’ll repeat: this was a business decision for him on China. He’s got another 70+ years of life after basketball. He sees the long term which is why he took the position he did, despite it playing horribly as siding with the communist party. I wouldn’t expect you to see that. It’s easier to say anyone who criticizes the black man is racist.

The only reason Lebron took issue with the Rockets Manager is because white guys are not allowed to complain. Especially white guys in Management.

If anyone wants a textbook example of what the loss of white privilege sounds like refer to Cono’s post above.

China Bans South Park

You really are committed to virtue signaling that everyone is racist against Bron aren’t you?

Since you seem to have just found this corner of the forums why don’t you ask around, I think you’d be hard pressed to find a bigger supporter of him here than me. I hope he earns a trillion dollars in his lifetime. I think he’s a fantastic role model, has made consistently good business decisions, and does amazing things for NE Ohio. But yeah, we all hate the rich black man. Get the fuck outta here.

I’ll repeat: this was a business decision for him on China. He’s got another 70+ years of life after basketball. He sees the long term which is why he took the position he did, despite it playing horribly as siding with the communist party. I wouldn’t expect you to see that. It’s easier to say anyone who criticizes the black man is racist.
    Look, you clearly don’t understand how racism works. Things are not mutually exclusive. You can have black friends and support segregation. You can be a LeBron fan and unfairly blame the whole NBA China debacle on him.

For the record, I was a bit disappointed when LeBron left NE Ohio. Let’s face it, what we call fly over country doesn’t have much going for it and LeBron was huge to them. But I don’t blame him for chasing the dollar and fame elsewhere. But at that point, I understood that money and fame were his number one priorities. This is not racist. Now if I was disappointed with LeBron’s decision but praised Phillips Rivers decision to play for the Chargers as a great business decision, well that should raise some flags. But I have black friends...

I get that you are disappointed in LeBron. I get that he didn’t turn out to be the role model you wanted him to be on China. What I can’t get is why are you blaming the whole thing on him? Look, I am not defending the guy. Look at my previous posts. I called his comments on China stupid and tone deaf. I know that he has a huge platform as a player and should watch his words. I also know that his financial interests and the NBAs are aligned on China and that money and fame matter to him.

But I can extend him some empathy and I am not even a LeBron fan. You on the other hand are making up a fantasy world where LeBron is as powerful as the whole NBA. In your fantasy world, LeBron is not an employee of the NBA with Silver as his boss, he is more powerful than Silver. Somehow the NBA wasn’t critical to creating LeBron’s fortune and holds no leverage over him.

In the previous posts, I wasn’t asking you to let LeBron off the hook. I wasn’t asking you to condone his comments. I was asking you to extend some empathy. If Silver, whose job it is to deal with crisis like these messed up his response, can’t we show empathy to a basketball player whose job is to be good on the court. I guess you can’t and you will go to great lengths to create a fantasy world where LeBron gets no empathy. Please tell me why.
    Last edited by hercule33; 10-20-2019 at 12:27 AM.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch

im way past starting and now fully believe youre a utter smjw moron who thinks typing more words can fix that problem
    lebrons a turd
    im giving my empathy for him to you
    you need it more
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Look, you clearly don’t understand how racism works. Things are not mutually exclusive. You can have black friends and support segregation. You can be a LeBron fan and unfairly blame the whole NBA China debacle on him.

For the record, I was a bit disappointed when LeBron left NE Ohio. Let’s face it, what we call fly over country doesn’t have much going for it and LeBron was huge to them. But I don’t blame him for chasing the dollar and fame elsewhere. But at that point, I understood that money and fame were his number one priorities. This is not racist. Now if I was disappointed with LeBron’s decision but praised Phillips Rivers decision to play for the Chargers as a great business decision, well that should raise some flags. But I have black friends...

I get that you are disappointed in LeBron. I get that he didn’t turn out to be the role model you wanted him to be on China. What I can’t get is why are you blaming the whole thing on him? Look, I am not defending the guy. Look at my previous posts. I called his comments on China stupid and tone deaf. I know that he has a huge platform as a player and should watch his words. I also know that his financial interests and the NBAs are aligned on China and that money and fame matter to him.

But I can extend him some empathy and I am not even a LeBron fan. You on the other hand are making up a fantasy world where LeBron is as powerful as the whole NBA. In your fantasy world, LeBron is not an employee of the NBA with Silver as his boss, he is more powerful than Silver. Somehow the NBA wasn’t critical to creating LeBron’s fortune and holds no leverage over him.

In the previous posts, I wasn’t asking you to let LeBron off the hook. I wasn’t asking you to condone his comments. I was asking you to extend some empathy. If Silver, whose job it is to deal with crisis like these messed up his response, can’t we show empathy to a basketball player whose job is to be good on the court. I guess you can’t and you will go to great lengths to create a fantasy world where LeBron gets no empathy. Please tell me why.
    Show me where I let Silver off the hook.

I’ll help you out. I didn’t.

Hey! Adam Silver came out of his coffin and said stuff hoping no one remembered what he said before!

And he managed to throw another log on the fire while doing it: “Obviously, we made clear that we were being asked to fire him by the Chinese government, by the parties we dealt with, government and business,” Silver said. “We said, ‘There’s no chance that’s happening. There’s no chance we’ll even discipline him.”

And true to form, the communists said, "nuh-uh, we didn't make that demand".

Sure China, we believe you.

Things are not looking good for Space Jam 2's 2020 release in China right now.

https://apnews.com/f721ead046f742dba80b7b5a9cff0876
    Seriously get the fuck out of here, go call people racist elsewhere.

So many words
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    So many words
    Yep.
    Emporer Xi smiles
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Show me where I let Silver off the hook.

I’ll help you out. I didn’t.

Seriously get the fuck out of here, go call people racist elsewhere.
    Let me ask you a question and and then answer it. That’s your strategy for defending yourself. For the record, I did not say that you never were critical of Silver. It’s also a pointless fact and a perfect straw man. It’s also a variation of the whole I have black friends, I can’t do anything racist argument. My whole last post was about empathy and how the whole China debacle in this thread disproportionately fell on LeBron.

You obviously don’t want to hear how you let Silver off the hook. So go back to your fantasy world where LeBron is as big as the NBA, LeBron has more power than his boss Silver and the NBA has no leverage over LeBron. In that world, LeBron deserves far less empathy and far more flack for his comments.