Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    King James’ week off to a rough start after stepping in it last night. Man, you only had 1 week to prepare a comment for a question that you knew was coming.
    yeah, wtf was that about? NBA players like to seem pretty woke, but they're all screwing the pooch on this one.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

King James’ week off to a rough start after stepping in it last night. Man, you only had 1 week to prepare a comment for a question that you knew was coming.
    The irony being that James is a vocal proponent and philanthropist for civil rights and inequalities of Minorities in America but he's like "nahhhh" for those fighting for the same Rights in HK. I think money talks for the king.

Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    The irony being that James is a vocal proponent and philanthropist for civil rights and inequalities of Minorities in America but he's like "nahhhh" for those fighting for the same Rights in HK. I think money talks for the king.

Right?

The irony isn't being lost on many. Homeboy is getting roasted in just about every corner of the web today.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ianism-1247621
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...et/3982436002/
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ey/3983357002/
    https://www.apnews.com/749af77ef6b64376ac11da5358092307
    I still call it The Jake.

China Bans South Park

King James is now Kowtow James

Looks like his General Mansplaining backfired

Damn Bron, this look just keeps getting worse for you.

TL;DR: Dave McMenamin reports:

“Nearly a week ago today, in a Shanghai hotel room, or Shanghai hotel ballroom, Adam Silver got up and addressed the players, and LeBron James is one of the players who got up and spoke and said, ‘Hey, what are we doing here? Daryl Morey made these statements,'” McMenamin recalled on air Tuesday. “You know damn well if a player made the same statements and caused such poor ramifications for the league, there would be some sort of league recourse.”

“There would be repercussions the player has to pay. You know, potentially this tweet could cost the NBA hundreds of millions of dollars. That could come out of the players’ pockets, and so that’s the double standard that was being addressed in that meeting,” he continued.

Cha-ching, cha-ching!

Name:  kowtow james.PNG
Views: 328
Size:  384.1 KB

China Bans South Park

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post

Valid point. But what about all those flag lovin’ white boy snowflakes who don’t give a rats ass about the racial injustice in their own country and are butt hurt when a few black players kneel in protest during an anthem but now are attacking black players for not doing enough to help foreigners. We don’t want to mix politics and sports when it comes to black Americans, but somehow it’s no problem when it comes to white people protesting China. Nothing racist to see here...

huh? I think the Chinese are another race. Does that mean not supporting the HK protesters is racist? So fukkin Le Bron is a racist?!?!? That mutherfukker!

China Bans South Park

This whole NBA discussion is simply a question whether corporations have other interests than shareholders. It has been a long standing policy of the US government to promote freedom and democracy abroad. We need to define what role corporations play. Do they do the bare minimum to obey the laws and maximize profits or should they have some higher responsibility? We should also ask what responsibilities have to ending racial injustice, especially when the majority of their players come from a race suffers the injustice.

And finally, black people who put money before values are racists. White people who put money before values are genius businessmen.
    Last edited by hercule33; 10-16-2019 at 01:33 AM.

That was a mental triple kowtow with a twist to make the jump from NFL anthem protests to disagreeing with the NBA and some of its associates preference for Chinese profits over the right to speak freely, a world away, on an app that's BANNED in China.

But yeah, it's totally racist.

China Bans South Park

That was a mental triple kowtow with a twist to make the jump from NFL anthem protests to disagreeing with the NBA and some of its associates preference for Chinese profits over the right to speak freely, a world away, on an app that's BANNED in China.

But yeah, it's totally racist.
    Totally is racist. I am in full support of America supporting democracy and free speech abroad. And that’s why I was so angry when the NFL chose to silence the free speech of AMERICANS (who just happened to be black) because they didn’t want to “mix politics and sports.” Let sports be a safe place from politics the NFL argues. Nothing to do with money or NFL ratings being down they said.

Now the NBA chooses to silent WHITE people putting on a POLITICAL protest during a sporting event. They can use the exact same argument that the NFL did. But wait this is different. This is WHITE people protesting. First they came for your neighbor.... Sorry you didn’t see it coming.

I'm not surprised, the answer to everything anymore is "it's racist", because we as a society have lost the ability to critically think and analyze a situation; so much so that the phrase has nearly lost all meaning.

I see where you're trying to make the analogy, and on a personal note, I don't care if Bron and the boys want to wear hoodies or if entire teams kneel during the anthem - fully support it in fact as is their God-given right, but this is nothing like what you think you're making it out to be for two simple reasons.

One, this situation is about an American institution at best holding American citizens's behavior to Chinese sensibilities and standards, not an American institution disallowing American citizens to exercise their Constitutional rights.

And two, last I checked the head of the NBA was pale as a fucking ghost, and his default response, only slightly refined in subsequent tweets, nevermind the message passed in that now famous meeting in the hotel room in Shanghai along with the directives given to their broadcast partners stateside was to "zip it about China". So unless the bald white guy telling everyone, black or white, to tread lightly about offending the people's republic qualifies as racist, your analogy fails.

China Bans South Park

I'm not surprised, the answer to everything anymore is "it's racist", because we as a society have lost the ability to critically think and analyze a situation; so much so that the phrase has nearly lost all meaning.

I see where you're trying to make the analogy, and on a personal note, I don't care if Bron and the boys want to wear hoodies or if entire teams kneel during the anthem - fully support it in fact as is their God-given right, but this is nothing like what you think you're making it out to be for two simple reasons.

One, this situation is about an American institution at best holding American citizens's behavior to Chinese sensibilities and standards, not an American institution disallowing American citizens to exercise their Constitutional rights.

And two, last I checked the head of the NBA was pale as a fucking ghost, and his default response, only slightly refined in subsequent tweets, nevermind the message passed in that now famous meeting in the hotel room in Shanghai along with the directives given to their broadcast partners stateside was to "zip it about China". So unless the bald white guy telling everyone, black or white, to tread lightly about offending the people's republic qualifies as racist, your analogy fails.
    You just don’t get it. The racial component is where were all these “free speech” advocates when NFL players were kneeling and the NFL said stop kneeling because our ratings are down? Why are there communist shirts of LeBron being posted and none of the “pale as a fucking ghost” head of the NBA? Just a coincidence, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    You just don’t get it. The racial component is where were all these “free speech” advocates when NFL players where kneeling and the NFL said stop kneeling because our ratings are down? Why are there communist shirts of LeBron being posted and none of the “pale as a fucking ghost” head of the NBA? Just a coincidence, I guess...
    No, it's clear you can't differentiate the two situations in your mind.

There were no shortage of advocates for those protesting police brutality by kneeling during the anthem, which, unless you're being intentionally obtuse, you'd know that. Google also turns out David Silver memes about China in .0000123 seconds, but I'm sure you knew that too.

But again, your post illustrates how you can't tell the difference between an American entity holding its affiliates to Chinese standards is different from an American entity shutting down its affiliates from exercising their Constitutional rights here in America. Both are bullshit, but they aren't the same.

It's apparent that you rationalize the difference between the two by calling both forms of bullshit the catch-all "that's racist", when, if you gave it more than the reactionary thought of white guy vs black guy you could see that. But by all means, continue to double down on that straw man.

China Bans South Park

But again, your post illustrates how you can't tell the difference between an American entity holding its affiliates to Chinese standards is different from an American entity shutting down its affiliates from exercising their Constitutional rights here in America. Both are bullshit, but they aren't the same.
    First of all, you say that the NBA and NFL are “American entities.” Not exactly sure what you mean by that. Many would argue that they are American businesses and should be treated as such.

And you are right, I am saying that the NFL telling black players to stop kneeling because it hurts our profits is the same as the NBA telling white people to shut up about China because it hurt theirs. Is it EXACTLY the same, of course not. But it’s the same.

I don't know what you’re asserting in your first paragraph. An entity is any organization that is not a natural person: corporation, partnership, limited liability company, trust, nonprofit or variation of any of the preceding. There is no legal standard of conduct applicable to a “business” as you seem to suggest.

Secondly, you’re right that I’m right. Any American entity telling Americans to eschew their constitutional rights in the name of profits is bullshit. But you assert that outrage at one telling Americans to eschew those same rights here in America in order to appease Chairman Xi is racist. No one here can see how you made that jump. Was the NFL shutting down protests of Americans protesting the anthem racist? Maybe, and even likely given the basis for the protest.

Is the outrage at the NBA favoring the communist party of China’s sensibilities in the name of protecting profits by not supporting the free speech rights of its affiliates here, in America, racist? No, it’s not. It barely registers as a nonsequitur, no matter how badly you want it to be. Logic does not lead to that conclusion.

China Bans South Park

I don't know what you’re asserting in your first paragraph. An entity is any organization that is not a natural person: corporation, partnership, limited liability company, trust, nonprofit or variation of any of the preceding. There is no legal standard of conduct applicable to a “business” as you seem to suggest.

Secondly, you’re right that I’m right. Any entity telling Americans to eschew their constitutional rights in the name of profits is bullshit. But you assert that one is racist. No one here can see how you made that jump. Was the NFL shutting down protests of Americans protesting the anthem racist? Maybe, and even likely given the basis for the protest.

Is the outrage at the NBA favoring the communist party of China’s sensibilities in the name of protecting profits by not supporting the free speech rights of its affiliates here, in America, racist? No, it’s not. It barely registers as a nonsequitur, no matter how badly you want it to be. Logic does not lead to that conclusion.
    Thanks for clarifying your definition of entity. I was making sure that you were not making an argument that basketball is a national sport and therefore the NBA is more than “just an organization that is more than a person.” Arguments like that were used before for the MLB and baseball because it was a “national pastime.”

Now that we got that cleared that argument, let’s move on to the racist arguments. My point is not that standing up for free speech against China is racist. In a vacuum, it’s not. My argument is not that, no one stood up for the NFL protest because plenty of people (including white people) stood up for the free speech of those black players. My point is that plenty of white people stood against the free speech argument of the NFL players and now are coming out “outraged” that an American corporation can try to silence free speech in the name of profits. I am saying that on this board, there are communist t shirts of black players being posted and none of the head of the NBA who is no doubt more responsible for this whole NBA mess than any player. Care to explain to me why that isn’t racist?

My point is that plenty of white people stood against the free speech argument of the NFL and now are coming out “outraged” that an American corporations can try to silence free speech in the name of profits.
    Please see my previous 4 posts highlighting that shutting down the right to protest peacefully and speak freely here in America is bullshit in both the NFL and NBA contexts. Also see the same for the repeated point that the difference here is that the NBA and its affiliates have chosen to deny, or at the very least disavow, those same constitutional rights in order to appease the CCP is also bullshit, and that the outrage surrounding the NBA's decision to align with Chinese dollars is not race based.

I am saying that on this board, there are communist t shirts of black players being posted and none of the head of the NBA who is no doubt more responsible for this whole NBA mess than any player. Care to explain to me why that isn’t racist?
    Because Bron chose to step headlong into the shit, carrying the Chinese water the entire way, that's why it's not racist. That's why youre not seeing memes here of anyone else at the moment. Because no one is a dumb as Bron to go full-CCP in his stance on the issue - after having a week to mull it over. Just because Bron is black doesn't mean any criticism of him is defacto racist. To think so is to say that public figure black people are incapable of being criticized for their words and if they are the only reason is racism. And really, if I can take it a step further, its insulting, frankly, to black people to imply that any criticism of their stances or behavior is based solely in racism; it's saying that they are incapable of defending their positions and that anything to the contrary must be easily dismissed as racist.

- Signed the biggest Bron fan on this board. Just ask TahoeJ. ;D

China Bans South Park

Please see my previous 4 posts highlighting that shutting down the right to protest peacefully and speak freely here in America is bullshit in both the NFL and NBA contexts. Also see the same for the repeated point that the difference here is that the NBA and its affiliates have chosen to deny, or at the very least disavow, those same constitutional rights in order to appease the CCP is also bullshit, and that the outrage surrounding the NBA's decision to align with Chinese dollars is not race based.

Because Bron chose to step headlong into the shit, carrying the Chinese water the entire way, that's why it's not racist. That's why youre not seeing memes here of anyone else at the moment. Because no one is a dumb as Bron to go full-CCP in his stance on the issue - after having a week to mull it over. Just because Bron is black doesn't mean any criticism of him is defacto racist. To think so is to say that public figure black people are incapable of being criticized for their words and if they are the only reason is racism. And really, if I can take it a step further, its insulting, frankly, to black people to imply that any criticism of their stances or behavior is based solely in racism; it's saying that they are incapable of defending their positions and that anything to the contrary must be easily dismissed as racist.

- Signed the biggest Bron fan on this board. Just ask TahoeJ. ;D
    I think you are taking this argument personally, when you shouldn’t. I don’t know you personally. When I write, “there are people on this board” it is not directed as a veiled attack at you, it is a statement of fact. From your posts, I gather that you are one of the people who opposed both protests but that doesn’t mean that others didn’t. Just because you and I may not hold racist views doesn’t mean other don’t.

I fully acknowledge that the reason for the NBA kissing ass to China is financially based with a complete disregard to race. I also acknowledge that the NFL protests were financially motivated too. However, that does not automatically mean that race played no role in the NFL protests. They are not mutually exclusive.

No better example of that is the whole LeBron situation. I, like you, am disgusted with LeBron’s stance on this whole NBA/China issue. However, I know that LeBron is acting like that on behalf on the NBA. I know that there is nothing preventing the head of the NBA saying these are LeBron’s views, not the NBAs or even telling LeBron to shut up. Nothing other than profits that is. I am fine with holding LeBron accountable for his actions. What I am not fine is with holding LeBron accountable and not the head of the NBA. For the record, you did hold both accountable but the person who posted the picture of the communist t shirt of LeBron did not because I saw no shirt of the head of the NBA on it. Another member chose to call LeBron a racist but not the head of the NBA. Just pointing out facts. Racially motivated? I will let you decide.
    Last edited by hercule33; 10-15-2019 at 11:13 PM.

It has also become a thinly veiled crutch for dealing with equally important human conditions, a veil to hide other tendencies that dare not be mentioned. If we can acknowledge the racist component of something, we are somehow absolved of the underlying tragedy, which may not be racially motivated at its core. It can be the largest red herring (racist!) in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    It has also become a thinly veiled crutch for dealing with equally important human conditions, a veil to hide other tendencies that dare not be mentioned. If we can acknowledge the racist component of something, we are somehow absolved of the underlying tragedy, which may not be racially motivated at its core. It can be the largest red herring (racist!) in the world.
    Care to give some examples to support your point?

Care to give some examples to support your point?
    Sure. Towels are not the problem, to either a perceived racist, or drug problem. I think that is one of the shining lights of South Park, it does really cut through the bullshit and addresses issues head on.

China Bans South Park

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Actually, there seems to have been a large gap in political activism over the last 30 years, basically spanning two generations of video game and television anesthetization, a nation completely complacent with how things were going, incapable of caring or rallying to ensure their future, to change the shit, to make a difference.

But, hey, if it's convenient to blame the baby boomers, don't let me interrupt.
    At least in the 70's we stopped the war and impeached a fucktard president nowhere near as bad as what we have now. Yeah, I was on the streets protesting then and I think anyone who ain't boots on the ground now is an XZ whiner whose facebook posts are sorely mistaken for activism.
    Here we go, baby boomers trying to re-write history. Let me see, when did baby boomers start becoming the major voting block? Around the 1980s. They did get rid of the Cold War, I will give them that. What else did they do? Pass immigration reform under Reagan only to realize that it’s a horrible thing to do and never do it again. Fire the first Bush for being fiscally responsible. Continually pass tax cuts for themselves and hand down the bill to future generations. Fix social security only for themselves (under Reagan). Blow up the national debt. Get us into a war in Iraq and not pay for it. Give their kids awards for “participating.” Elect an orange menace to the white house and blame his election on young voters not coming to the polls. And now complain that millennials eat avocado toast and spend too much time on social media after they fought for decades to decimate regulations like anti trust laws that allowed companies like Facebook to become monopolies. Heaven forbid, the baby boomers took some responsibility for their actions. No, it’s always someone else’s fault...

Oh yeah, in your protests you spat on American soldiers who fought in a war that they didn’t choose to get into (no soldier can say I won’t fight in this war) only to send your children into Iraq when you got scared on 9/11. What a generation...

Here we go, baby boomers trying to re-write history. Let me see, when did baby boomers start becoming the major voting block? Around the 1980s. They did get rid of the Cold War, I will give them that. What else did they do? Pass immigration reform under Reagan only to realize that it’s a horrible thing to do and never do it again. Fire the first Bush for being fiscally responsible. Continually pass tax cuts for themselves and hand down the bill to future generations. Fix social security only for themselves (under Reagan). Blow up the national debt. Get us into a war in Iraq and not pay for it. Give their kids awards for “participating.” Elect an orange menace to the white house and blame his election on young voters not coming to the polls. And now complain that millennials eat avocado toast and spend too much time on social media after they fought for decades to decimate regulations like anti trust laws that allowed companies like Facebook to become monopolies. Heaven forbid, the baby boomers took some responsibility for their actions. No, it’s always someone else’s fault...

Oh yeah, in your protests you spat on American soldiers who fought in a war that they didn’t choose to get into (no soldier can say I won’t fight in this war) only to send your children into Iraq when you got scared on 9/11. What a generation...
    All you seem to do is entrench and deflect. Logic, reason, and analysis that is on point, escapes you. But yes, climate change is just about racism, too.

Get over yourself and get back to the Tahoe thread. You must be a complete bitch to live with offline.

You seem to have severe Daddy issues.