Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

new Alpine boot models with tech fittings?

with new salomon shift, I expected more brands to develop new alpine/race boot models with dyn and tech fittings (for those that want to short tours without having to ski in a performance comprising a/t boot). Do these new models exist? I'm suprised the solly and atomic alpine boots don't have tech fitting options.

A full alpine race boot with tech fittings and no walk mode is dumb. That’s every manufacturer made a 130 flex alpine boot with tech fittings AND a walk mode.....

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    A full alpine race boot with tech fittings and no walk mode is dumb. That’s every manufacturer made a 130 flex alpine boot with tech fittings AND a walk mode.....
    ^^^ QFT ^^^

Might as well get plug boots and Alpine Trekers ;-)
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Dalbello Lupo Pro HD and Tecnica Cochise are the closest you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    ^^^ QFT ^^^

Might as well get plug boots and Alpine Trekers ;-)
    it worked for years and years....
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    it worked for years and years....
    So did the horse and buggy. Compared to modern gear it sucked, and there's a reason the world moved on.

I think Cast will still put tech toe fittings in alpine boots if you want to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    Dalbello Lupo Pro HD and Tecnica Cochise are the closest you can get.
    Lange XT Free 130 are easily as close, maybe closer. And don't forget the XT Promodel (140 flex)

Disagree. I've yet to find a boot with a walk mode that skis like a legit alpine boot inbounds. But I want a tech toe for short (~20 minute) shuffles to side country stashes. I don't really need a walk mode for such a short tour, and I'd kinda rather forego the extra complexity and failure point.

TBD whether lupo HD fills this niche. Looks like it might.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I’ve skied in Flexons for a long time.

I find that there is very little difference between a Flexon with the stiffest tongue available and a Lupo 130 with a power wrap liner.

Quote Originally Posted by htbandit View Post
    with new salomon shift, I expected more brands to develop new alpine/race boot models with dyn and tech fittings (for those that want to short tours without having to ski in a performance comprising a/t boot). Do these new models exist? I'm suprised the solly and atomic alpine boots don't have tech fitting options.
    I think you vastly overestimate the size of that niche market segment compared to the huge race/alpine market.

Disagree. I've yet to find a boot with a walk mode that skis like a legit alpine boot inbounds.
    This. A boot with a rigid spine skis way better. Whether or not everyone needs that is another question, but there is a significant difference between say a tecnica mach1 and a cochise. Which is not to say the cochise is bad, it is really good. The mach1 is just a notch better.

Meh. Only maybe a tiny diff from dedicated alpine boot over my Cochise on the firm. That’s skiing the two back to back. Huge difference going to the Cochise when I want to access soft snow via skin or hike. Soft snow on the down, hell some times I forget to buckle my boots and don’t notice until I’m at the bottom so no need for a full on alpine type boot.

Just pay CAST to modify your boots. The market is really like you, a couple pro skiers, and 20 other guys. For 99% of the market it just adds production costs and either reduces raises prices or reduces margins for no real benefit.

Meh. Only maybe a tiny diff from dedicated alpine boot over my Cochise on the firm. That’s skiing the two back to back. Huge difference going to the Cochise when I want to access soft snow via skin or hike. Soft snow on the down, hell some times I forget to buckle my boots and don’t notice until I’m at the bottom so no need for a full on alpine type boot.
    ^^^ This ^^^
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 10-09-2019 at 07:52 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Disagree. I've yet to find a boot with a walk mode that skis like a legit alpine boot inbounds. But I want a tech toe for short (~20 minute) shuffles to side country stashes. I don't really need a walk mode for such a short tour, and I'd kinda rather forego the extra complexity and failure point.

Has filled this role for me really well for 2 plus years now. Skis like a Kr2 pro. The walk mode is simple as it gets.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Just pay CAST to modify your boots. The market is really like you, a couple pro skiers, and 20 other guys. For 99% of the market it just adds production costs and either reduces raises prices or reduces margins for no real benefit.
    I've been kinda sorta planning on this. But my alpine boots are coming on due for replacement so I was waiting till I got something new to take the cast plunge.

Unless, of course, the lupo's are the ticket. Which it sounds like they might be, provided I can get them to fit well.

Quote Originally Posted by htbandit View Post
    TBH, an alpine boot with tech inserts is probably the smallest boot niche there is. I legit understand your need for a product like that, but to make the mold investment for it would simply be a disaster of a business decision. And ultimately, the Alpine Norm ISO 5355 does not allow for tech inserts and making such a boot is not a risk our legal department wants to take. No boot that follows the Alpine Norm but has tech inserts actually has TÜV certification.

Talking

Having experience with Cochise130, the Dalbello Frankenboot below is closer to a perfect Alpine - In Bounds rig:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	66E4B3D9-8196-4CFB-8729-CAEF79ABDE48.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	554.7 KB 
ID:	297123

And this beast is full Race PU & almost 1/2 pound heavier per boot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9354F38D-09C2-41E6-A017-647DE24180EB.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	566.1 KB 
ID:	297124

I just need to get a super soft tongue for spring & short tours where I don’t wish to remove em.

I've been looking to upgrade from some Freedom RS 130's. Probably leaning toward Lang XT Free 130, or Technica Cochise.

Those Dalbellos are very appealing but I just can't wrap my head around having to remove the tongues to tour. How do they tour in walk mode without tongues removed? Probably the most appealing thing to me would be the ease of entry, as I have large, inflexible feet that are really f-ing hard to get into overlap boots, especially when they are cold.

Years ago Tecnica made the Bodacious, a 130 flex boot with tech fittings and no walk mode. I think it was quickly discontinued, and the fact that you can still find the 2013 model in stock at a major online retailer speaks to the market size:
    https://www.corbetts.com/2013-tecnic...ens-ski-boots/

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
    Years ago Tecnica made the Bodacious, a 130 flex boot with tech fittings and no walk mode. I think it was quickly discontinued, and the fact that you can still find the 2013 model in stock at a major online retailer speaks to the market size:
    https://www.corbetts.com/2013-tecnic...ens-ski-boots/
    While I have no doubt that the market is still small, I'd bet it's a whole lot bigger now than it was in 2013.

While I have no doubt that the market is still small, I'd bet it's a whole lot bigger now than it was in 2013.
    I think there are people out there who'd bite, and yeah, there weren't Shift bindings available in 2013. I think those boots are still around because they are small and fugly.

Guess I don't see why it would be that hard for any manufacturer to add a tech toe to their boot, especially if they are already interchangeable. CAST is probably still the best option these days if that's what you are looking for. Touring more than a few hundred yards/meters without a walk mode seems dumb though.

I think the old Atomic Waymaker is pretty damn close to this... absolutely skis like a proper alpine boot, and has a tiny walk-mode.. certainly not the range of motion of the fancy new shit, but enough for resort side country...

Quote Originally Posted by ExPowderSnob View Post
    I think the old Atomic Waymaker is pretty damn close to this... absolutely skis like a proper alpine boot, and has a tiny walk-mode.. certainly not the range of motion of the fancy new shit, but enough for resort side country...
    If you fit in the Lupo Pro HD you'll have to wear 3 pairs of socks in the Waymaker, though . . .

With the beefier PU shell, Lupo HD fit same as other Lupos(Factory, AX etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    I’m going to try this experiment this year. Hawx Ultra 120s with CAST mod and Zipfits, paired with Shifts for inbounds mornings/short tour afternoons out of the gates at Canyons. I’ll try to do back to back tests vs. my Hawx Ultra 130 XTDs. Will report back...

Having skied the Lange XT 130 LV (with Zipfits) as my only boot for 2.5 seasons, I agree it is excellent. Progressive flex and lateral stiffness is close to a modern rigid spine alpine boot. But they have a certain give/vagueness in rearward support, which I think is probably due to the walk mode.