Some Standards Are Good

Seriously, with all the changing standards and ensuing rage, some shit just works and will hopefully be left alone.

1. Pedal Spindles.
    2. Handlebar Grip Diameter. The bar part, not the grip.
    However many are in a shit ton.

shhhhhhhhh dont tell anyone. they will make "enduro pedals" and "bike packing sized grips"

Seen some ultra thin pedals that have the bearings in the cranks. Need special cranks though. New standard?

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

The one demo bike I rode with that crap on it, the grip end was broken and just flopped around. Super annoying.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

One "improvement" at a time!!!!

With the new Fox 38, the new hot topic is a larger diameter/bigger taper head tube...you know you need it!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

You would need to go to 1 3/4 inch straight to avoid current frames being upgradable.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    One "improvement" at a time!!!!

With the new Fox 38, the new hot topic is a larger diameter/bigger taper head tube...you know you need it!
    I was working on the commuter bike last night and was reminded how convenient it was that the rear mech hanger standard hasn't changed in over 50 years. It feels like it is time for the industry to change that. I would guess some sort of direct mount onto the through axle would be the likely change. Sram looks like it could be hoping to move that way with it's universal hanger standard it released recently.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post

Some e-bike company wanted a bigger steerer, and a couple companies complied with some OEM forks. I haven't seen any indication that Fox or anybody else is moving to 1.8 as a standard.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Seen some ultra thin pedals that have the bearings in the cranks. Need special cranks though. New standard?

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    Dura Ace EX, late 70s I think.
    It wasn't a great idea then...

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Some e-bike company wanted a bigger steerer, and a couple companies complied with some OEM forks. I haven't seen any indication that Fox or anybody else is moving to 1.8 as a standard.
    Can they sell you something new? Can they spin it as "stiffer and tracks better?"
    I give it < 2yrs.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    Dura Ace EX, late 70s I think.
    It wasn't a great idea then...
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/tatze-...bike-2019.html

Threaded Bottom Brackets FTW.
    Seriously, even if Shim/Sram can’t agree on spindle diameters, at least the threads match and it’s a $25 BB.

Getting mrsjm2e a new DH rig and apparently I now need to research Bottom Brackets before I can figure out what to shop for. BB92, BB107, DUB, WTF?!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Crazy how few universal standards there are. Saddle rails? Never seen one that needs a special seatpost to connect to.

Trials seatposts/saddles did...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Trials seatposts/saddles did...
    And BMX style seats.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Threaded Bottom Brackets FTW.
    Seriously, even if Shim/Sram can’t agree on spindle diameters, at least the threads match and it’s a $25 BB.

Getting mrsjm2e a new DH rig and apparently I now need to research Bottom Brackets before I can figure out what to shop for. BB92, BB107, DUB, WTF?!

Wait, you're kidding right? Or I'm reading this wrong? I mean there are a ton of different BB threads and widths, plus some bikes have press fit BBs. Far from standard.

Edit: you are probably being sarcastic and I'm not getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Crazy how few universal standards there are. Saddle rails? Never seen one that needs a special seatpost to connect to.
    -7x9 carbon seat post rails are not compatible with a lot of seat post clamps. Side loading seat clamps do not work with 7x9.
    -I-Beam seats and seat posts? Still used by SDG, Deity, Race Face.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb17112574.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	580.0 KB 
ID:	297540

Race Face I-beam saddle and post

https://factoryjackson.com/2013/07/3...m-saddle-post/

"For example; if you’re riding somewhere steep and tech – in a quick flash of an allen key, you pull the seat forward to give yourself more room off the rear of the bike or vise-versa. Sure, you can do that with some railed post designs, but if you’ve never tried an I-Beam, you really should give it a go… The centre rail means you can pretty much say goodbye to bent rails, and did I mention how easy they are to install, and how good it looks? "

I stand corrected. Never underestimate the silliness of bike engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Wait, you're kidding right? Or I'm reading this wrong? I mean there are a ton of different BB threads and widths, plus some bikes have press fit BBs. Far from standard.

Edit: you are probably being sarcastic and I'm not getting it.
    I think what I meant to say was: we should have stuck with the BSA standard. It works good.

Road boost is the next new "standard"
    12x110 front 12x148 rear.
    To accommodate e-bike motors/crank widths while still creating a good chainline.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Race Face I-beam saddle and post

if you’ve never tried an I-Beam, you really should give it a go… The centre rail means you can pretty much say goodbye to bent rails, and did I mention how easy they are to install, and how good it looks? "
    junior had a dirt jump bike that came with an I-beam seat, he used to thro the bike away in mid jump it would land and it bounce 20 ft in the air, the I beam seat hung in there

but if the seat had broke a new seat post and seat would work so its not like you are stuck using an I beam seat
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    junior had a dirt jump bike that came with an I-beam seat, he used to thro the bike away in mid jump it would land and it bounce 20 ft in the air, the I beam seat hung in there

but if the seat had broke a new seat post and seat would work so its not like you are stuck using an I beam seat
    This summer I was looking for a lightweight seat for racing and found a killer deal on pinkbike buy and sell. Couldn’t believe my luck and almost pulled the trigger until I noticed the I-beam - which I had never heard of before. Would have been $100 bucks down the drain. Haven’t felt that duped by Raceface since the carbon stickers started peaking off my aluminum cranks.

I-beam saddles are awesome for DH. Used the SIXC I-beam and Atlas saddle combo, more resilient to bending (no rails), easier to adjust nose up/down, forward/back etc.