Thread: box Components?

box Components?

What are your experiences? Good, bad or indifferent? They sure do have a lot to offer and the new wide range 9 speed makes sense to me for my current application so if you people say it works reasonably well I'll give it a try.

Seth’s Bike Hacks on YouTube is sponsored and has several vids about Box.

Sponsored isn't gonna give me the dirt I want to hear, I bet this place will

Seems worth a try, especially if the shifter will work with an slx rear der. Small investment. If you take out the der somehow, ez enough to throw an slx on. Id be ok with 9 spd. I find i shift a lot less then on my non eeb. Might be my replzcement when i need one

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Every single one of the first generation of 11sp rear ders I saw exploded, and I didn’t like the way the shift paddle worked. But this was also about 5 years ago. Ive heard things have improved, but nobody I know wants to roll the dice again.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The shifter will be different from 5 years ago because they got sued and can’t make the Push-Push anymore.
    Gravitylover, i appreciate where you’re coming from. 9sp with some range and more longevity. But I worry about the energy being delivered to those big cogs. Could be Taco City. I’d want an all steel cassette.

However many are in a shit ton.

I have the rear cassette 46 tooth. It’s been solid so far (2 years old, few hundred miles including bike park days), but I am not the raddest biker out there.

Well there we go, thanks guys. Joe I think they've moved away from that as mentioned. JM yeah I don't feel like I need 12 speeds on my e-mtb and I don't trust the thin cogs and chain either. I don't think the 8 tooth jumps on their cassettes would be a problem with an e-mtb either, I find myself shifting 2 or 3 gears at a time now so don't think I'd even miss having the ones in between. I'm not even sort of thinking about their silly expensive top end group but the middle one sounds like it makes sense.

I'm amidst building a new bike build now and was looking hard at the Box 9 speed set up. Only hesitation is the cassette weighs a ton.

Only have experience with their 11 speed cassette. I liked the spacing between cogs from what I recall, that why I got it.

2 medium big /cogs folded over during a stage race like they were made out if tin foil.

The race mechanic who helped me out showed it to me,threw it in the garbage, and said thats where all box component cassettes should be.

Never happened to me before or after with sram/shimano.

That large cog collapse happened to a buddy of mine who tried the MicroShift 9 speed.
    Not great.

Boy that 11 speed stuff sounds pretty lame, I wonder if all of those problems were on early production stuff and if it's gotten any better.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I'm amidst building a new bike build now and was looking hard at the Box 9 speed set up. Only hesitation is the cassette weighs a ton.
    Yep, the Box 9 spd cassette weighs more than a Sram NX 12 spd cassette, which I previously believed to be the heaviest modern cassette you could buy.

Aren't they just rebadged Sunrace cassettes?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

As far as I can tell, Box One stuff is their original product whole Box Two stuff is rebranded SunRace. Their group sets are usually a mix. Weird business, but I guess it allows them to fill a niche with minimal investment.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    Yep, the Box 9 spd cassette weighs more than a Sram NX 12 spd cassette, which I previously believed to be the heaviest modern cassette you could buy.
    My wife has a low-mid level hardtail with NX Eagle the cassette is a boat anchor. I was amazed when I took it off to clean it recently.

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

^^Heheh.

Does anyone have anything they'd like to ask upper management there? I have a phone conversation scheduled with them today.

Any new current info on Box? Fairly certain my GX rear derailleur is fuskered, and the cassette has seen better days, for sure...

So I'm considering a whole new drivetrain, and 9sp appeals to me.

But not if it (still?) sucks.

I beat up the Box 2 a bit and it runs and holds up nicely. There's a bit more effort on the downshift than you're used to but no big deal. There isn't a lot available right now but I just spoke to the sales mgr and there's a small shipment coming in on the 20th and that will be it (for Box 2 cassettes) until next year so if you're into it get the whole kit and an extra cassette. Go to the website now and see if it will let you order it, if not let me know and I'll make it happen for you. There aren't any Box 1 cassettes until October (I hope ) but you could get the 1 shifter/der/chain now with the 2 cass. then get a 1 cass. when they're available. It really is worth the investment, it's good bike parts.