Thread: Shock question

Shock question

Rebuild or replace? The shock is a 2015 Rockshox Monarch RT De Boner on a Giant Reign. I can get a replacement at bike shop cost so depending on the shock $300 - 450CAD. Looking at rebuild kits and all I can say is fuck me, which one do I need? A full service kit with an air can puts me about $100 and I still have the opportunity to fuck it up. Local shops tell me its a send away job that'll run possibly up to $250 if it's really fucked, which it may be. It spooged a bit of oil earlier this year now loses air far too quickly. (200psi down to 150 in about 20 minutes of riding)
    Last edited by Beaver; 10-08-2019 at 12:49 PM.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Depends.
    Strapped for cash? Go for rebuild. It’ll be <$200.
    Mostly riding casual xc with occasional chunky stuff and small jumps? Rebuild.
    Cash to spare and want something similar but better? Replace.
    Charging through longer faster chunkier downhills? Replace with something more substantial like a Float X2.
    Charging through longer faster chunkier downhills because that’s what makes biking fun and uphills suck no matter what bike you’re on? Coil.
    Above with no sense of fiscal responsibility? ElevenSix

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Shock question

What shock size? What factory tune?

Those numbers seem high to me. What part of Canada are you in? Seems like you need to find a better shop that really knows how to service shocks and forks.

Monarch RT3 Debonair / Fox Float Evol DPS can be purchased as a new or barely ridden takeoff in certain sizes for $150-180 CAD, although you might have to buy from a US seller.

The Monarch Plus RC3 / Fox Float X DPS will cost you a bit more, but will also be more adept at handling long descents and have a smoother stroke. If you had one of these then I’d say rebuild if possible.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Look at DVO, if you can get shop pricing they are extremely reasonable (and MSRP ain't bad either) and the Topaz is an awesome shock.

Yeah, that’s a great route if you can’t find a cheap takeoff. I mainly recommended the above on basis of being able to find cheap OEM takeoffs in the proper length and tune.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I just went into the DVO rabbit-hole and discovered they are releasing a new coil shock soon that will fit my '18 Trance. Hmmm... I may be getting a new shock soon!

Shock question

Does that Trance have the same i2i and stroke size as Beaver’s 2015 Reign???

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Does that Trance have the same i2i and stroke size as Beaver’s 2015 Reign???
    Sadly, no... the '15 has the same as the older Reigns, I believe (7.875x2.25).

I *do* have a couple of those shocks around, but I don't think the Beav would be interested, as one is a clapped-out DHX4 air (which sucked) and an even older Van-R coil (which was WAY better than the DHX4 - but REALLY old).

I can’t speak for beaver but if I had a 2015 Reign and was running a blown out single barrel Monarch on it, I’d say an old Fox Van R Coil with the right spring weight and a fresh damper service would be a pretty damn nice upgrade. Like, how/why did it blow out in the first place? Too much load and not enough service? Or just poorly built? The Van would be bit heavier on the uphill but damn that would make long descents so much nicer than the Monarch.

I too have a single barrel Monarch Debonair RT3 on my Bronson V1, and I’ve always justified the lack of piggyback reservoir with my light riding weight, but I can definitely feel the damper pack up and harsh up as it gets worked on our long 3000-4000’ descents here in Oakridge Oregon. Have been meaning to find a takeoff Monarch RC3 / Float X EVOL from a takeoff Bronson 2 myself ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    I can’t speak for beaver but if I had a 2015 Reign and was running a blown out single barrel Monarch on it, I’d say an old Fox Van R Coil with the right spring weight and a fresh damper service would be a pretty damn nice upgrade. Like, how/why did it blow out in the first place? Too much load and not enough service? Or just poorly built? The Van would be bit heavier on the uphill but damn that would make long descents so much nicer than the Monarch.
    The Van-R is fine - not even sure you could *get* service on it any more, though... but perhaps? It was SOOOOO much better than the DHX air.

It blew out because it was 4 years old and ridden hard and put away wet. $100cad to rebuild so it hit the mail stream Tuesday. 4 years is pretty good I suppose, but it's not the 15 years I got out of my Float R on my 2005 Rocky Slayer. It just started leaking air too, also never serviced. It is now an electrified commuter. It's a street slayer with 750W mid drive running at 1400w, it pulls like motherfucker. But I digress...
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.