Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Lol 192 Legend pro rider at some Midwest bump. Come on guys.

Soul 7

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Lol 192 Legend pro rider at some Midwest bump. Come on guys.

Soul 7
    This is TGR so I'm sticking with my Pro Rider recommendation. It's the best ski evar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1570720682.444697.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	231.0 KB 
ID:	297146
    100% agree

Beauties!

Ok. Well he could find an old pair of 184s.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

186 OG LP for an icy mole hill IMO.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1570916686.853875.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	297518
    Seems perfect for a Midwest knob

Another factor for a patrol daily driver is that twin tips are an issue for pulling a sled because you're spraying the poor soul behind you in the sled. That's something seasoned patrols have in mind when choosing a ski to patrol on. Are there people working patrol on twins? Sure, but as I say, it isn't ideal.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Best Single-Quiver ~100 Waist Ski

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Another factor for a patrol daily driver is that twin tips are an issue for pulling a sled because you're spraying the poor soul behind you in the sled. That's something seasoned patrols have in mind when choosing a ski to patrol on. Are there people working patrol on twins? Sure, but as I say, it isn't ideal.
    Meh, we never worried about it, just burrito the patients up good. What I did find is that a full twin was VERY functional for sideslipping down steep mogul runs with a sled, or ANY mogul runs for that matter). They don't snag and you can back up easily. Very handy.

All that said, if I was patrolling on some midwest mole hill there's no way I'd want anything over about 75mm under foot. He should be able to pick something up in the $50-100 range used for that purpose. Then buy a real ski on pro for trips out west. Or buy a real ski used if he's that cheap.
    Last edited by beaterdit; 10-12-2019 at 10:24 PM.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    He can't find a cheap-ass pair of used race skis, flat, and throw bindings on for a daily driver/patrol, and then buy a decent new pair for soft-snow days and travel? A pair of 165 slaloms can actually be reasonably versatile, aside from trying to zipperline bumps.

if he could, I'd think the recs in this thread might be good. If he can't, I'd be looking narrower. A 100mm-waisted daily driver on hard snow is going to be tough on the knees, harder to tune (wider = less likely to be and stay flat, thus requiring more grinding), and generally lower-performance on normal midwest conditions.

And I say this as a now-Maine-based part-time coach and former patroller whose skis are either under 70 or over 110.
    I agree slaloms are pretty versatile but I wouldn't want to haul sleds and side slip too much on them. They are also super heavy to haul around.

Quote Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
    I agree slaloms are pretty versatile but I wouldn't want to haul sleds and side slip too much on them. They are also super heavy to haul around.
    They tend to be heavy, but they're also generally pretty cheap used. Race skis tend to loose value real quick when they get more than a year old.

There are absolutely better quiver of one skis for patrolling on largely hard snow, but for value, a pair of well maintained, lightly used (ie not down to minimal base or edge left) slaloms would be my target. If you happen across a great deal on a better all-around skinny ski, by all means, but I've seen two-year-old slalom skis new in plastic for under $300 because racers tend to be committed to staying current.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

+1 for the soul 7

Love my dps wailer 99 hybrid as an east coast daily driver.