Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best Single-Quiver ~100 Waist Ski

A friend is looking for a single-quiver daily driver that he can patrol on in the midwest and use for occasional trips out west. I suggested the Enforcer 100 which is extremely versatile and fills this spot in my quiver. What are some of your favorite skis in this range that he should consider?

The list is endless... I have the Enforcer 100 in a 193 and ON3P Wren 98 in a 189 and love both but the Wren 98 is tits... I have been on the Rustler series as well as the Sollie QST 99 and 106 and liked them all... To me anything made in the 95 to 105 range that I have tried I would own and could be a daily driver midwest to west...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

The answer is: ON3P Tychoon in a 186.

Too bad for your friend that he can't have mine.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Depends a ton on what your friend likes.

Dynastar Menace 98 is a solid ski for do-everything. See blister review. And if he's NSP he can get a sweet deal on it. Which is a good thing if he's gonna beat it to shit on patrol.

Dynastar X96 or X106 are both excellent skis. For my daily driver, I use the 96 but the 106 works reasonably well, too. My only issue with it as a daily is my knees get worked on groomers. But it still skis them well, I just have old knees.

Bones and Enforcer 100
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Thanks all. I hadn't given much thought to the Dynastar line up, but they do offer some good discounts. Any thoughts on the MSP99 or Icelantic Pioneers or Nomads?

I love my Dynastar Pro Riders. 192cm in length and 105 underfoot

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    I love my Dynastar Pro Riders. 192cm in length and 105 underfoot
    If I could only have one pair for lift skiing it would be these no question.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Head Monster 98 or Kastle MX98, in this order, are the best one quiver ski IMO.

No doubt that the mx98 Are the single best ski in this category; however, they are no longer made and Very difficult to find
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

The red ones

Quote Originally Posted by FLYBOYMATTHEW View Post
    Thanks all. I hadn't given much thought to the Dynastar line up, but they do offer some good discounts. Any thoughts on the MSP99 or Icelantic Pioneers or Nomads?

Nordica Enforcer 100 or Blizzard Rustler 10. Icelantics are crap. Stay away.

The Enforcer 100 is a pretty spectacular ski, rips corduroy actually floats well enough in all but the fluffiest of pow..

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    No doubt that the mx98 Are the single best ski in this category; however, they are no longer made and Very difficult to find
    Does the MX99 suck or something?

From what I have heard, it's not nearly the same ski. While, I have never skied the MX99, many MX98 skiers who skied the MX99 where pretty disappointed. I think that it is a much tamer ski

I very much enjoyed my Liberty Origin 96 as a fun all around ski that could stand up to some speed. The Bamboo core was a nice platform to stand on, and the shape could make a day interesting regardless of conditions or your legs.

Haven't skied the Origins, but you can find some pretty good deals on them. I have a pair of Variants that I never loved. No chance they would bump my Enforcers out of that category.

I'm confused.. Did someone say patrol midwest ski hills on 100 under foot as a daily driver? Either get two pairs of skis or one better suited for packed manmade bulletproof and rent/demo something fatter on the trip(s) out west.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Well, he's also cheap, so talking him into 1 decent pair was enough of a job.

I have a pair of Monster 98s, and while they are objectively awesome, they're pretty one-dimensional. I don't think they would be a good one-ski quiver if you plan to ski much powder or throw in a park lap every now and then. The Enforcer 100 is a good suggestion, Bonafides might be worth checking out too.

I'm laughing at the Cottonwood recommendations for a Midwest ski hill.......

jerr is offline Underwater trapeze artist
    If you’re going to be on variable/icy snow as well as powder you might take a look at the mantra 102. I tried it once, then again, and I’m picking my pair up tomorrow.
    Nine out of ten Jeremy's prefer a warm jacket to a warm day

Quote Originally Posted by FLYBOYMATTHEW View Post
    Well, he's also cheap, so talking him into 1 decent pair was enough of a job.
    He can't find a cheap-ass pair of used race skis, flat, and throw bindings on for a daily driver/patrol, and then buy a decent new pair for soft-snow days and travel? A pair of 165 slaloms can actually be reasonably versatile, aside from trying to zipperline bumps.

if he could, I'd think the recs in this thread might be good. If he can't, I'd be looking narrower. A 100mm-waisted daily driver on hard snow is going to be tough on the knees, harder to tune (wider = less likely to be and stay flat, thus requiring more grinding), and generally lower-performance on normal midwest conditions.

And I say this as a now-Maine-based part-time coach and former patroller whose skis are either under 70 or over 110.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    He can't find a cheap-ass pair of used race skis, flat, and throw bindings on for a daily driver/patrol, and then buy a decent new pair for soft-snow days and travel? A pair of 165 slaloms can actually be reasonably versatile, aside from trying to zipperline bumps.

if he could, I'd think the recs in this thread might be good. If he can't, I'd be looking narrower. A 100mm-waisted daily driver on hard snow is going to be tough on the knees, harder to tune (wider = less likely to be and stay flat, thus requiring more grinding), and generally lower-performance on normal midwest conditions.

And I say this as a now-Maine-based part-time coach and former patroller whose skis are either under 70 or over 110.
    Not to mention hauling fat people around in sleds on ice.. Needing to fishone uphill in a hurry, skating across the flats, etc..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!