Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Space Heater for garage.

I don't have a hard-wired heater in my garage, which is also my ski tuning room. In order to intermittently heat the garage (which is about 625 sq. ft...large enough for two large SUVs, a garden tractor, motorcycle and work area), I would like to utilize a 120v outlet. Propane is no good, as it sucks up oxygen, and causes health concerns. I am thinking that I can go either ceramic, infrared, oil filled or fan. I will probably need 2 of them. Any advise is appreciated.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I have a 2-car garage and use one of these...
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lasko-23...-202295960-_-N

Gets the garage plenty comfy in no time and has worked for 4-5 years now trouble free.

Just make a nice hot cup of coco for those chilly tuning days.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Oil filled is your only choice !!
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heater.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	296799

Big garages with constant use require a natural gas system or the bill is going to kill you.

625 sq feet used rarely, the little electric ones are fine.

jgb@etree Guest
    I've tried a bunch, but nothing seems to work as good as a kerosene heater

Your garage isn't insulated and heated? Philistine.

I use a single infrared and point it at the workbench. Rest of the garage is cold but I don't care, I'm at the workbench.

Turn the car on and use the heater.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Wear a coat

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Your garage isn't insulated and heated? Philistine.
    Of course it is, but my workshop is in an old detached carriage barn that is not.

This is what you want

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

I have an 800 sqft garage and run a HUH style. Granted, I hardwired the thing to run at 240v.

This page will give you options. Ideally you'd want to hardwire one or have a somewhat dedicated outlet for a plug in. They can draw some amps depending on size.
    https://www.marleymep.com/products/unit-garage-heaters

Schnaps..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Yeah, I don't see you getting a heater that runs on a 120 outlet to heat that space. It Is either fossil fuels or 240.

Here in Idaho our electric is cheap so I went with this for my detached workshop of 450ish square feet: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cadet-Th...402S/100351722

Quality has been stellar compared to any other electric heater I've ever used. (They usually last a season then break while sitting over the summer IME). The auto temp feature is also the only one I know of on a unit like this that actually works. I keep the shop between 50-60 to keep paints and glues and such at a workable temp (and it is just basically a shed with no floor insulation, r13 walls, and r19 in the ceiling). Costs me about 20 bucks a month on average with rates of about 8 cents a kw. I rarely need to use the high setting for my space unless it is below zero. This will require a dedicated 20 amp outlet as it draws 15 amps all by itself.

I've run this thing for 6-8 months straight (turn it on low / auto at first freeze and turn off after the last) for 4 years now and it just keeps on trucking. I have mine ceiling mounted which keeps less shit out of the heating element - I work with stabilized hardwoods but the dust hasn't hurt performance either.

It is more expensive but it seems to be worth the additional cost due to durability and quality concerns.
    Live Free or Die

Vodka, ska 'liquid sweater'. It works for that crazy inyernet dude.

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    This is what you want

The BTU output is 25% that of the one I posted. If you used 4 of those a ton, the bill will be horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by exsparky View Post
    The BTU output is 25% that of the one I posted. If you used 4 of those a ton, the bill will be horrendous.
    You are assuming he even has natural gas and 50,000 btu's is overkill for a garage. There's no need for 4 of these units he would only need one. I've used 2 of them as temp heat for 3500 two story houses prior to insulation. If he wanted his garage heated all the time vs when he is at his work bench that is a different story.

hot water bottle shoved in your crotch layerup up with hand knit long johns from virgin Peruvian alpaca wool ?

Really, if its just for the workbench then radiant is the way to go.

how about reducing the size of the work area with curtains or shower curtain or whatever and then just heating that smaller area area ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

If you have a 240V socket available, just do one of the electric options proposed above. Easy and cheap setup.

Really not that expensive to run either. ~4000W (or 13800 btu/hr) * $.10/kWh typical electric cost = 40 cents per hour.

Agreed a standard 120V/15 amp heater doesn't really cut it. Run one of those for an hour or two before you go out and it kinda takes the edge off, but that's about it.

120V vs 240V doesn't matter. Draws the same amps. It's more about overloading a circuit if it's a plug in.

You need to cut half your garage off to make this work.

It is not so much working in winter garage temps. Whiskey, weed and clothes takes care of that. It's more about the finished product. I'm sure that you all know how bad it sucks scrapping extremely cold hot wax that has sat on skis for a few hours, or overnight. What a pain in the ass. I would like to warp up the room, and unfreeze the wax before scraping, buffing and tuning.
    I guess that temporarily hanging a couple of tarps could divide the room, but what a hassle to wax couple of pairs of sticks. I'm thinking of 2 DeLonghi radiators filled with oil will do the job.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix