Page 324 of 533 FirstFirst ... 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 ... LastLast
Results 8,076 to 8,100 of 13303

Thread: Ask the experts

Never had a problem with Stan’s. Running diety now on 2 bikes and have no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Your cheapest “branded” valves will be the WTB Brass TCS valve.
    I see these in most OEM spec build kits.
    You can get them in a pair for $8.45 wholesale. ($4.23 each).
    Rocky Mountain uses these and I have not run into any issues.

The other option is a 25 pack of Stan’s No Tubes Brass valves for $111.15 ($4.45 each)

I second the WTB stems, great value for the reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I need a handful of valve stems for demo bikes that come with tubes installed (WTF?)... thoughts on which brand to get that won't break the bank, but are still reliable?
    I’ve had good luck with all of the major brands. Except for some rims you need to stick with their brand of stems for a proper seal.

Also it’s worth buying the presta valve inserts in bulk. I find they gunk up periodically and it only takes a few seconds to swap out the valve in stead of replacing the stems.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    I’ve had good luck with all of the major brands. Except for some rims you need to stick with their brand of stems for a proper seal.

Also it’s worth buying the presta valve inserts in bulk. I find they gunk up periodically and it only takes a few seconds to swap out the valve in stead of replacing the stems.
    Pop the cores out. Put them in some WD-40 for about 60 seconds, clean like new. I can only vouch for this working on orange seal, which is what I use.

I’m definitely interested in a hose mini. Wife has never been able to use a mini without a net air loss while pumping.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Pop the cores out. Put them in some WD-40 for about 60 seconds, clean like new. I can only vouch for this working on orange seal, which is what I use.
    At less than 50 cents a pop not worth my time to bother with cleaning them.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I think they quit making the one without the gauge, but yes, this thing rocks.
    (Trump Hand included for scale)
    Attachment 418629

Attachment 418630
    I just got the less girthy version of this (fits in my fanny pack better). Seems pretty nice and I like having the gauge, but I haven't had a chance to actually use it yet.

Deciding if I want to keep it or spend $170+shipping to convert to EDC + 100ml EDC Pump + EDC Plug/Plier kit.

One last time for those in the back: using mini pumps without a hose is masochism. You are smarter than the valve stem and can avoid unintentionally unscrewing it, I'm sure of it.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I have a few of each…the TT is faster and easier than the mini-morph, IMO.

But whatever pumps you up, I guess.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    One last time for those in the back: using mini pumps without a hose is masochism. You are smarter than the valve stem and can avoid unintentionally unscrewing it, I'm sure of it.
    How often are you using a mini pump that any sort of use rises to the level of masochism?

That's kinda why I'm not picky about mini pumps (other than hating lezynes). It's like once or twice a year that I'm using one. If I'm in a hurry, I'm using co2.

That's a fair point. I use mine to fix flats, obviously (more common on gravel tires than on MTB), and I sometimes change pressure during a ride. I do ride a fair bit, so maybe I use one weekly?

In any case, if one is buying something, my opinion is that one should buy the best performing version of that thing, especially when that's available for the same price. The hose makes it easier to pump and eliminates the danger of bending/breaking a valve stem or breaking the seal between a stem and the rim tape. Buying a mini pump without one, in 2022, seems akin to buying a dropper post that doesn't have a remote. But you do you!

I end up using one almost every time I ride...

I suppose I could check and set my tire pressure with my floor pump before I leave the house, but I forget so I end up doing it at the trailhead (and most rides it seems like it could use a few pumps).

I could also put the floor pump in the car...but for just topping off to make up for pressure loss, my 15-20 year old blackburn pump works fine and I'm sure my new one will as well.

You gotta hold it right, but but the lack of a hose doesn't seem to be causing me any issues. Maybe I'd feel different if I were using a super tiny pump, but for the ones that are closer to 10" long I don't mind the right-angle head.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    In any case, if one is buying something, my opinion is that one should buy the best performing version of that thing, especially when that's available for the same price. The hose makes it easier to pump and eliminates the danger of bending/breaking a valve stem or breaking the seal between a stem and the rim tape. Buying a mini pump without one, in 2022, seems akin to buying a dropper post that doesn't have a remote. But you do you!
    Sure, that's reasonable. In which case people should buy the syncros one since it does all the good things that the lezyne does with the added bonus of not unscrewing your valve core.

Do people who invested in the OneUp pump/tool/repair kit system consider it worthwhile? Seems convenient but a lot more than I would have considered spending on that stuff. I am intrigued by the idea of using it and just taping a tube to the frame to eliminate the need for a bag on short rides. I know I could also accomplish this by using any other frame mounted pump and one of the many tube/tool rolls on the market but the OneUp at least appears to be more elegant.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Do people who invested in the OneUp pump/tool/repair kit system consider it worthwhile? Seems convenient but a lot more than I would have considered spending on that stuff. I am intrigued by the idea of using it and just taping a tube to the frame to eliminate the need for a bag on short rides. I know I could also accomplish this by using any other frame mounted pump and one of the many tube/tool rolls on the market but the OneUp at least appears to be more elegant.
    Absolutely worth it (although I put my Oneup EDC + pliers/plug in the stem) and many of my friends are now OneUp too. I bought the tap and have tapped 3 of my bikes and several friends. It's easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Do you buy multiple OneUp tool kits? - one for each bike? - or just move it from bike to bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Only need one!

It takes 5 seconds and no tools to move the stem mounted EDC from bike to bike. It is literally pull out of one stem shove in the other.

The pump ought to be only a few seconds longer because there is a strap.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

For the sake of clarity, I assume all the pumps mentioned above are right hand specific? What are people liking for left handed pumps?

QUESO update:

I've been doing it for a while now on all of the main bikes in rotation (1 road, 2 gravel, 2 MTB). Initial setup, as noted before, is grueling, but subsequent treatments are easy.

On the road bike I'm getting around 220 miles (dry, clean conditions) before it starts to make a bit of noise. I can push it for one more ride.

On gravel it ranges from 60-100 miles, depending on how dusty the riding is. MTB is more like 50-80 miles, again depending on dust. I've only encountered a tiny bit of moisture since starting the program, but it basically wrecks the wax immediately.

After talking to Silca at Sea Otter (they frowned when I told them that I was using MSW but grudgingly acknowledged that it was a fine product), I've introduced a new option. When I'm lazy, or mid-ride, I now wipe the chain and apply Silca Super Secret liquid OR Tungsten All Weather Banana. Supposedly these are fully compatible with immersion waxing with no ill effect, and my experience address with this. It's nice to be able to get going in just a few minutes (no waiting required, unlike Squirt, which isn't compatible with wax anyway).

This also addresses the biggest problem I've encountered: when wax is done, it's DONE, and there is no warning. It goes from passable to sounding like the chain will self destruct in 1 minute. So i now carry a miniscule bottle of SSS if my chain isn't super recently dipped.

Further notes: my crock pot, which started with 250g of MSW, is still working after 21 dips. I'll probably add a bit so it can be deeper next time I fire it up. I made a swisher tool from an old spoke, and it's definitely worth having. All drivetrains are spotless.

I don't have enough data to say whether it's helping with part longevity, but it seems like it will because everything is so clean. My 12s XT chain still registers under 5% and it's now nearing 4000 miles. I think that's pretty incredible. GF's 12 GX chain, however, was at 6% after 1700 miles, which I attribute to it being GX and her being less meticulous about maintenance. Plus she shifts like a gorilla. I replaced it with an XO1, which should be a lot more durable and has been waxed since day 1.

Got over three years on an EDC pump/toolkit/plug and pliers. The tool started to corrode a little so I took it apart and cleaned it and coated with some Boeshield. No issues otherwise. I don’t ride without a pump, so IMO it’s the perfect setup. I put mounts on all my bikes and move it wherever I need it.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Recommendations on EDC 100 pump vs 70?

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    I just got the less girthy version of this (fits in my fanny pack better). Seems pretty nice and I like having the gauge, but I haven't had a chance to actually use it yet.

Deciding if I want to keep it or spend $170+shipping to convert to EDC + 100ml EDC Pump + EDC Plug/Plier kit.
    Is the gauge accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Is the gauge accurate?
    I stuck it on a tire and it seemed to match my digital topeak, but I’d like to test further.

small dial though, so might end up hard to tell the difference between 24 and 25 psi.

as long as it is consistent, that’s fine by me. If it turns out my preferred pressure reads 24 on the pump but 26 on the digital, I can make it with.