Page 183 of 530 FirstFirst ... 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 ... LastLast
Results 4,551 to 4,575 of 13244

Thread: Ask the experts

Oury grips fit that description.
    I love the ESI pure silicone, Super Chunky, grips but they are a little soft for what you're talkin about

I have a near new set of these if you want

https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/gui...ips-Thick,9671

Good for aluminum bars maybe not carbon

Ask the experts

I like lock on oury grips and lizard skins north shores depending on price I can get them at.

I am ESI curious

Bought some PNW grips to try too on my “wife’s” bike that I really bought with me in mind. Expert move IMO

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Kind of strange. it's not hard to do, the parts aren't expensive, and your brake will work like new afterward.

The guides on my hardtail were 5 years old when I had to rebuild the front and it works great. According to strava I got those brakes in june 2015 and have done 8500mi since. If I rode/cared about that bike anymore I'd rebuild the rear lever and maybe the calipers.
    Forgot to follow-up the other day, but the local shop is going to rebuild the levers for me. $27/side for the rebuild kit, plus labor. Easy enough, though they are a few weeks out on service. Luckily cooler temps are in the forecast and they behave fine if its not stupid hot.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Grips for big hands...whatcha got?

Specifically...I've been using ODI Rogues for the last couple years because they are nice and thick. Recently put on some ODI Elite Flows - I love the lower-profile, less-squishy, more-direct feel. But they are noticeably smaller diameter, and made me hands a bit achey. My hands were wondering "why such a thin shaft" and "missing the usual meat..."

So: does anyone have recs for a lower-profile, less-squishy, more-direct BUT larger diameter than Elite Flows? Basically Elite Flow but larger diameter.

These Ergon GA2 FATs seem like they would work: https://ergonbike.shop/products/ergon-ga2-fat-1
    I run the GA2 Fat grips on all of my bikes and absolutely love them. I never get forearm pump and I haven't had hand or wrist issues since switching to them a few years ago.

I am also looking for new fatter grips. Currently have ergon gd1s which felt great at first but wear fast. Have used older enduro ergons as well but not the new ones. Tried foam silicone and did not like them I think I like some contouring and texture for grip.
    Anyone tried the chromag squarewave XLs? currently backordered but look interesting. What about the sq labs?

Oury grips have always been appropriately fat and cushy for my hands. 33mm OD. Long wearing soft enough rubber, taboot. They also have a nice new single-sided lock design.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I run the GA2 Fat grips on all of my bikes and absolutely love them. I never get forearm pump and I haven't had hand or wrist issues since switching to them a few years ago.
    Sweet - thanks for the input. Ordered a pair - will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    I am also looking for new fatter grips. Currently have ergon gd1s which felt great at first but wear fast. Have used older enduro ergons as well but not the new ones. Tried foam silicone and did not like them I think I like some contouring and texture for grip.
    Anyone tried the chromag squarewave XLs? currently backordered but look interesting. What about the sq labs?
    I do really like the ODI Rogues. They are fat and sqooshy, and generally pretty great. Give those a look too. (I wanted to try something with a little less sqoosh.)
    sproing!

Ask the experts

Any bolts on a bike that I should not use blue loctite on?

I ask because the rear thru axle on the new Banshee needs to be retorqued every other ride, which seems excessive... when I built the bike I just put a small amount of grease on the thru axle threads... I’ve never put loctite on an axle just due to the amount of removal/reinstall that happens there... But loctite goes on pretty much every other bolt when I build...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

If that rear axle comes loose that often something is wrong with how well it seats and not the threads backing out. That's my opinion but I would have to see it. Something is likely out of tolerance. Try another axle

You fat grip people should buy some Meaty Paws.

*I've never tried them and I dislike large grips. But I think the name is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Any bolts on a bike that I should not use blue loctite on?

I ask because the rear thru axle on the new Banshee needs to be retorqued every other ride, which seems excessive... when I built the bike I just put a small amount of grease on the thru axle threads... I’ve never put loctite on an axle just due to the amount of removal/reinstall that happens there... But loctite goes on pretty much every other bolt when I build...

Keith posted this on the other site in response to the same question. I just came across it searching for the axle standard b/c I’ll probably replace the DT with a bolt-on.

Awesome - thanks. I’ll try that.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I wouldn't say I prefer it but I have used plumbing tape along with red/ blue/ green loctite,

carbon paste is also great stuff

its just another tool in the box
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

My turn to ask the experts.

I've been chasing this issue for months. Why does this Ultrega Di2 derailleur keep grabbing the chain like this? No clutch so when she is riding the chain does bounce and then it catches like this. I've replaced pulley wheels, chain, cassette, and chain rings. Took a link out of chain to not be as loose. What is my solution? She races this weekend. Derailleur doesn't have a bend.

Band aid is a Sram x1 pulley wheel. Glad I keep old broken derailleurs. Seems to be a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post

I've been chasing this issue for months. Why does this Ultrega Di2 derailleur keep grabbing the chain like this? No clutch so when she is riding the chain does bounce and then it catches like this. I've replaced pulley wheels, chain, cassette, and chain rings. Took a link out of chain to not be as loose. What is my solution? She races this weekend. Derailleur doesn't have a bend.

Maybe pulleys were swapped with the floating pulley on the bottom?

Maybe just a frame with a shitty chainline?

Maybe some weird backpedaling while shifting thing?

I dunno though. That's a weird one. Maybe just perform an exorcism on the derailleur.

in the first shot, is the chain on the smaller font ring? honestly looks like the chain might be too long.

it sized properly?

Is your pulley cage slightly bent/twisted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have experience with Race Face warranty? The warranty page on their website is a bit vague.

I cracked a 1 year old ARC 30 alloy rim and was asked to send it back for them to look at. Hoping for a new rim and will be a bit annoyed if I went to the trouble to send it back and they tell me I'm SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Anyone have experience with Race Face warranty? The warranty page on their website is a bit vague.

I cracked a 1 year old ARC 30 alloy rim and was asked to send it back for them to look at. Hoping for a new rim and will be a bit annoyed if I went to the trouble to send it back and they tell me I'm SOL.
    I warrantied some cranks. Same thing - said they'd have to look at them. Sent them in and new cranks showed up fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post

Chain looks long. Shimano 11s Road procedure is running the chain around big ring and big cog bypassing the derailure, add 2 links (3 links if the outer/inner plate don't match up).
    Also make sure upper pulley and lower pulley are in correct position and in correct orientation. Lower pulley has shorter teeth than the upper.
    Also for others looking for help, some Shimano chains are directional, these ones always have writing on one side, so always put the writing/stamping facing out. Not relevant to your issue as I see stamping on your chain facing out, and its not a directional model chain anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I warrantied some cranks. Same thing - said they'd have to look at them. Sent them in and new cranks showed up fairly quickly.
    Awesome, good to know. Thanks, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Chain looks long. Shimano 11s Road procedure is running the chain around big ring and big cog bypassing the derailure, add 2 links (3 links if the outer/inner plate don't match up).
    Also make sure upper pulley and lower pulley are in correct position and in correct orientation. Lower pulley has shorter teeth than the upper.
    Also for others looking for help, some Shimano chains are directional, these ones always have writing on one side, so always put the writing/stamping facing out. Not relevant to your issue as I see stamping on your chain facing out, and its not a directional model chain anyways.
    Answering everyone here. It isn't too long. 46/36 chainrings up front. 11/28 in the rear. Personally I don't think a long cage was a good idea but that is all Shimano offered back then for the Di2.

Replaced pulley wheels are correct. Same orientation as stock.

Not a directional chain. I made sure of that.

The bike drivetrain was fine for 10k miles with years of CX races and big rides. Then sometime last year it started this nonsense.

I think she dropped it and the Di2 derailleur is permafucked for some reason. My band aid will do until I put another $300 derailleur on this robot bike. Next one will have a clutch.

She is finally learning Shimano is garbage because all her Shimano bikes always shit the bed..drivetrain and brakes. Now her Eagle equipped mtn bike is flawless. Her 2x gravel bike is an Ultrega as well. She is always afraid of 1x not having enough range. Meanwhile 2x has a bunch of wasted gears all for a little more top end speed.

Any chance of a backpedal during a shift?