Page 297 of 531 FirstFirst ... 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 ... LastLast
Results 7,401 to 7,425 of 13255

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Sensus. Really good grips, actually. Cam Zink’s company. I have a set on a bike currently that I really like.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Thank you, I can go to sleep now.. Looking at the logo, would have never gotten there without knowing the spelling beforehand. Did they ever make jackets? A while back I saw a pretty nice looking one with what I'm almost sure was their logo.

maybe already covered....
    broken spoke. have minimal tools. diy or just take to a shop? i'm sure i could install but don't have a truing stand or tension tool...

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    maybe already covered....
    broken spoke. have minimal tools. diy or just take to a shop? i'm sure i could install but don't have a truing stand or tension tool...
    Depends on which wheel, which side of the wheel, pulling or pushing spoke?
    J-bend or straight pull?
    Can you accuratly measure the spoke to be able to get the right length?
    Do you need to remove the remove the cassette to access the hub flange?
    Do you need to re-tape the rim, or can you get the nipple clamped and be able to thread in the new spoke with out reloading a nipple from the rim bed?
    Do you have the right sized nipple wrench? The two most common sizes are: 0.136 In./3.45 mm and 0.127"/3.23mm, its tough to tell the difference between those sizes.

But yes, it should be an easy home job. You don't need a truing stand or tension tool. Lace it with the same over under pattern. Squeeze the other nearby spokes to get the same tension, or even pluck the spoke and listen for the same tone as a neighboring spoke. Lube the nipple/rim interface to prevent spoke windup. With only one spoke, you should not have to worry about it being out of true.
    But its also a cheap and quick job for the shop to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Depends on which wheel, which side of the wheel, pulling or pushing spoke?
    J-bend or straight pull?
    Can you accuratly measure the spoke to be able to get the right length?
    Do you need to remove the remove the cassette to access the hub flange?
    Do you need to re-tape the rim, or can you get the nipple clamped and be able to thread in the new spoke with out reloading a nipple from the rim bed?
    Do you have the right sized nipple wrench? The two most common sizes are: 0.136 In./3.45 mm and 0.127"/3.23mm, its tough to tell the difference between those sizes.

But yes, it should be an easy home job. You don't need a truing stand or tension tool. Lace it with the same over under pattern. Squeeze the other nearby spokes to get the same tension, or even pluck the spoke and listen for the same tone as a neighboring spoke. Lube the nipple/rim interface to prevent spoke windup. With only one spoke, you should not have to worry about it being out of true.
    But its also a cheap and quick job for the shop to do.
    Rear wheel.
    Brake side.
    J bend.
    Not sure on pulling/pushing??
    Shouldn’t have to remove cassette.
    I think I can measure. How much extra past nipple do I add (read 12mm or so?)
    I think the spoke broke inside the nipple (no threads showing) so prob need new nipple and re-tape.
    No nipple wrench but don’t mind picking up a few.

I might give it a shot. Worst case I bring it in w out tire/tape and imagine by then it’s a quick/cheap fix?

Just take it to a shop, unless you want a new hobby. I’m guessing $30 retapped and tubeless sealed.
    Whatever you do, report back with how it went.

However many are in a shit ton.

Threads are typically 10mm, and recessed another 2mm into the nipple.
    I typically add 12mm when measuring spokes while on the wheel.
    Name:  IMG_3535.JPG
Views: 514
Size:  91.4 KB

Threads are typically 10mm, and recessed another 2mm into the nipple.
    I typically add 12mm when measuring spokes while on the wheel.
    Name:  IMG_3535.JPG
Views: 514
Size:  91.4 KB
    Thx Dee!

This might have been answered in this thread before but I can't find it. Need some help with Shimano Tiagra 10 speed 4700 cassette compatibility. Old chain was worn, so replaced it. Chain skipping on old cassette, so I threw on a spare 11-34 cassette from when I converted my mtb to 1x11. Turns out that was a 9 speed cassette because I forget things easily. It shifts ok but a little hang up in middle cogs. I do like the extra teeth and the rd clears it fine. Would like a 10 speed 11-34 to fix it up right, but can I use a mtb cassette? 11-34 Tiagra cassette is hard to find. From what I understand the 4700 series has a different pull ratio and cassette pitch than other 10 speed systems? Give up and just get an 11-32 cassette which is available?

Ok, finally found this chart:
    https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/co...453&acid=C-454
    Which looks like it shows my RD should work with this cassette:
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=36711

Random question: Do rotors matter? Switching from centerlock to 6 bolt and want to know if there's a specific "better" rotor. Generally ride in areas with a lot of wet, so less squeak is better.

Thicker rotors have better stopping power (better heat management) and are less prone to warping. Magura HC Storm and SRAM HS2 seem like a solid choice for most common brakes. One of my buddies tried Galfer ones (XTR brakes) and they were really noisy - as soon as he changed over to HS2 they were quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Thicker rotors have better stopping power (better heat management) and are less prone to warping. Magura HC Storm and SRAM HS2 seem like a solid choice for most common brakes. One of my buddies tried Galfer ones (XTR brakes) and they were really noisy - as soon as he changed over to HS2 they were quiet.
    Weird. Galfer rotors have been super quiet for me on a few different brakes, including XTs.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Weird. Galfer rotors have been super quiet for me on a few different brakes, including XTs.
    I've also had Galfers for a while with Sram, Shimano road, and Hope brakes, and they are all quiet with decent durability and grab. I think the noise has more to do with pads though.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Knowing this guy, it's entirely possible that when he put the Galfers on new, he didn't bother doing the bedding in process, and instead just went for a ride.

Non expert question but what the hell. anyone have an Outside + membership? I basically only want to watch some bike videos (return to earth series). In Canada we are not eligible for the print edition of Beta which is too bad, although it seems to be kinda meh.... Just wondering if anyone can comment on the videos and such.

Sandbox - check out redbull tv: https://www.redbull.com/us-en/collec...6-704e8709054c

or load the app on your streaming device. They have so much free, awesome content.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Just take it to a shop, unless you want a new hobby. I’m guessing $30 retapped and tubeless sealed.
    Whatever you do, report back with how it went.

welp...ended up taking the wheel to the shop when i realized i'd still have to remove the cassette to replace the spoke. told the owner my kid broke a spoke and handed him the wheel. few minutes later he hands me the wheel back w the cassette removed and in a bag and w a new spoke as well. maybe he thought i knew what i was doing and would just re-install myself. i made a comment about hoping i could get the cassette back on and he pointed me to the $7 lock ring bit they sold. brought home, realized i needed to take rotor off as well (no biggie), and installed the spoke w a small crescent wrench (debated waiting to buy a spoke wrench but it seemed to work). pieced the cassette back together (hopefully i did that right). still need to torque (need to find a 1" bit) and put the tire back on so we'll see. i guess if it runs smoothly it was worth the $10 and a little learning experience.

Get these tools. I use them multiple times a year as every bike since the 80s uses the standard. Less than $20 on Amazon or buy the nicer Park Tools

^^^ except get a cassette lockring tool that doesn't have the center alignment post. It doesn't really do anything on thru axle hubs anyways, and it means you can't use it on Rockshox air caps, which also use a cassette lockring tool for removal.

Also, I just use an adjustable wrench on the cassette lockring tool. Means I can't use a torque wrench, but I've never had one come loose in ~30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    <snip>
    Also, I just use an adjustable wrench on the cassette lockring tool. Means I can't use a torque wrench, but I've never had one come loose in ~30 years.
    I agree with this. How many ugga duggas you use?

That was either (a) the best LBS service ever, or (b) the worst. If it was someone I knew, I’d say A. If I don’t know them an they pull that shit, I’d be hard pressed to go back. Unless there was more of a positive conversation that was left out of the story.
    And, nobody uses a torque wrench for cassettes. It’d be like torquing the lugs on your car. Put a foot on ‘em and go!

However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    How many ugga duggas you use?
    2 ugga duggas

Technically its 50Nn, or 36ft pounds, so if your wrench is 12" (1 foot long) you put 36lbs into it, or 1/5 of your body weight.
    More force than from the wrist, more force than from the elbow, just force from the shoulder, less force than bending at the waist, less force than lifting your feet.

I had an old, quiet, straight faced mechanic tell a young shop kid, when asked "how hard do I tighten this cassette?" his response was: "not so much force that you shit yourself"

And, nobody uses a torque wrench for cassettes. It’d be like torquing the lugs on your car. Put a foot on ‘em and go!
    s
    nobody torqued lug nuts last century but at least since the honda service bulletin to torque lug nuts which they said warped discs every tire store uses a torque wrench and puts a little sign on the mirror telling you to come back in 100kms for the re-torque

Torquing wheel nuts is so ubiquitous the tire store i often use will do the re-torque if I swap the wheels myself

but I wouldn't bother torquing a cassette
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-20-2022 at 02:15 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

That was either (a) the best LBS service ever, or (b) the worst. If it was someone I knew, I’d say A. If I don’t know them an they pull that shit, I’d be hard pressed to go back. Unless there was more of a positive conversation that was left out of the story.

Maybe (a). i was talking w one of the shop techs who i know and assume the owner overheard us talking and just assumed i was competent enough to reassemble.
    noted on the torque wrench. will give a couple ugga duggas.

I will say, lug nuts are one of the very few things I actually use a torque wrench for. That and stems / clamps on carbon bars.

2 ugga duggas
    Are those metric or imperial ugga duggas?