Page 298 of 532 FirstFirst ... 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 ... LastLast
Results 7,426 to 7,450 of 13300

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    2 ugga duggas

Technically its 50Nn, or 36ft pounds, so if your wrench is 12" (1 foot long) you put 36lbs into it, or 1/5 of your body weight.
    More force than from the wrist, more force than from the elbow, just force from the shoulder, less force than bending at the waist, less force than lifting your feet.

I had an old, quiet, straight faced mechanic tell a young shop kid, when asked "how hard do I tighten this cassette?" his response was: "not so much force that you shit yourself"
    "tighten it up till it breaks and back off 1/4 turn " was a favorite saying at coffee shop where we swapped war stories

I used to sometimes fix HW in another guys area, buddy was 6'5" 300lbs, he had huge hands, a pretty good tech but he overtightened everything so it was in your own best interest to assume everything was overtightened, fortunately he went into software
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Random question: Do rotors matter? Switching from centerlock to 6 bolt and want to know if there's a specific "better" rotor. Generally ride in areas with a lot of wet, so less squeak is better.
    I think almost all wet brakes squeak, but typically dry quickly. Bedding in the rotor and pads is key though.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I will say, lug nuts are one of the very few things I actually use a torque wrench for.
    Yup. Have been doing it since the Honda service bulletin...

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    nobody torqued lug nuts last century but at least since the honda service bulletin to torque lug nuts which they said warped discs every tire store uses a torque wrench and puts a little sign on the mirror telling you to come back in 100kms for the re-torque

but I wouldn't bother torquing a cassette
    Now that I have a 3/8” drive torque wrench I do end up torquing my lock ring, but that’s really just because I’m a little OCD (ok, moderately OCD), and can’t handle the thought of not doing it ‘properly’ if I have the tools available.

Never had an issue the 100’s of times I did it without a torque wrench…

after hundreds of thousands of iddy biddy fasteners I have an " inner torque wrench" so I don' torque much but some things you definalty need a torque wrench for

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yup. Have been doing it since the Honda service bulletin...
    I've been doing it ever since I discovered the hard way that Subaru wheel studs are made out of cream cheese and they'll strip if you look at them hard. Easier to use a torque wrench than replace studs.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I've been doing it ever since I discovered the hard way that Subaru wheel studs are made out of cream cheese and they'll strip if you look at them hard. Easier to use a torque wrench than replace studs.
    Yeah - IIRC the torque requirement for our old '97 Outback is pretty low...

Back in the day american cars were huge they all had steel rims, we used an air wrench on the wheel nuts, I never eva torqued the wheel nuts on any of the tire work I did

but that was like in the 70's
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-20-2022 at 03:14 PM.

I used to go all caveman on the stuff that required 40+ Nm and torque by hand (real fucking tight minus a bit) but a couple years ago I trashed a cassette lockring and had a moment of panic thinking I had stripped the HG hub body. Had another incident with Ms Boissal's bike and an overly tight lockring which cost me 4 knuckles after the chain whip slipped off somehow and I ended up punching the cassette.
    These days I have a 1/4" drive wrench for low torque stuff and a 3/8" for the other end of the spectrum and I'm pretty much doing everything with torque control. I find it easier to keep track of the bits that my various allen wrenches which are never where I think I've left them. Took me a couple of wrenching sessions to learn the recommended torque for most stuff and now it's part of my process and I don't think it costs me too much extra time.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I tighten by feel anything I might adjust on the trail (stem to steerer clamp, brake clamps, seatpost clamp, pedals, axles, etc.). I figure if there's a chance I'd have to, say, readjust brake levers after a crash by feel, it's good enough to do it like that in the garage.

Basically everything else gets torqued, particularly cranks, cassettes, and any pivot bolts. I especially do it for anything requiring many ugga-duggas, so that I'm able to actually undo the thing at a later date.

FWIW, Harbor Freight has inexpensive 1/4" drive torque wrenches that work quite well. Measurement is in in-lb, so print up a in-lb to n-m conversion table and pin it above the workbench.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    FWIW, Harbor Freight has inexpensive 1/4" drive torque wrenches that work quite well. Measurement is in in-lb, so print up a in-lb to n-m conversion table and pin it above the workbench.
    The ratchet gears in my 3/8" HF torque wrench recently took a shit, but I had been happy with it until then. It is probably at least 7 or 8 years old, so I suppose I got my money's worth out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    The ratchet gears in my 3/8" HF torque wrench recently took a shit, but I had been happy with it until then. It is probably at least 7 or 8 years old, so I suppose I got my money's worth out of it.
    They have a lifetime warranty on those... Just saying.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Does no one put the lock ring tool in a vice anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post

No. That was for freewheels, not cassettes.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post

Yes, but only in my torque vice.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I don’t know how to calculate 50Nm in a vise/steering wheel/twisting motion.

Depends on wheel circumference!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Prolly just one Ugga Dugga.

However many are in a shit ton.

Def just one ugga dugga for a 29er. Might need 1.5 UD for a 26" wheel, though.

Tires are not easy to come by, or cheap, so i sewed mine back together and then coated it inside and out with E6000. It's holding so far after a rugged 42mi ride, so I'm hoping to wear this tire out.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220416_191505.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	413869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220417_132156.jpeg 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	413870
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Def just one ugga dugga for a 29er. Might need 1.5 UD for a 26" wheel, though.

Tires are not easy to come by, or cheap, so i sewed mine back together and then coated it inside and out with E6000. It's holding so far after a rugged 42mi ride, so I'm hoping to wear this tire out.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220416_191505.jpeg 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	413869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220417_132156.jpeg 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	413870
    <looks at tread> That tire is already worn out.

I also glued this one back together after nearly tearing a knob off. Holding after about 60mi of singletrack.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220329_170950.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	413871Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220421_104000.jpeg 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	413872

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I don’t know how to calculate 50Nm in a vise/steering wheel/twisting motion.
    T = F * r * sin(theta)

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    <looks at tread> That tire is already worn out.
    Nope. Those are file tread tires--they are supposed to be that way. That one only has like 400 miles on it. I didn't expect it to work, but it's fine. The gravel tires with knobs don't really work much better since the knobs are so short. I just ride with the knowledge that I have minimal traction.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Nope. Those are file tread tires--they are supposed to be that way. That one only has like 400 miles on it. I didn't expect it to work, but it's fine. The gravel tires with knobs don't really work much better since the knobs are so short. I just ride with the knowledge that I have minimal traction.