Page 161 of 531 FirstFirst ... 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,025 of 13255

Thread: Ask the experts

I've noticed that I bend/warp Magura rotors less than when I ran Shimano, and less again when I switched to running 203 front/rear.

Magura are great rotors. Great brakes as well.

question - i've got an evil following which i love and have been stoked to get out on a ton. it's gen1, so it's got NON boost spacing

i just found a pretty insane deal on a Trust Message fork and i'm thinking of snagging it. it IS boost spacing, so obviously i would need to update my wheel as well.

is there anything wrong with running boost in the front and non-boost in the back? other than it being annoying as hell. it this a dumb as fuck idea? probably, but the deal is insanely good so i'm tempted by it.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    question - i've got an evil following which i love and have been stoked to get out on a ton. it's gen1, so it's got NON boost spacing

i just found a pretty insane deal on a Trust Message fork and i'm thinking of snagging it. it IS boost spacing, so obviously i would need to update my wheel as well.

is there anything wrong with running boost in the front and non-boost in the back? other than it being annoying as hell. it this a dumb as fuck idea? probably, but the deal is insanely good so i'm tempted by it.
    There are spacers you can use to make your non-boost wheel work in a boost fork. As an example here is one off Worldwide that I've never used. https://rb.gy/b5wgmb

You probably are going to get some pushback on the Trust fork. Some folks think they are the greatest thing ever but others are pretty skeptical. What is your current fork?

i just found a pretty insane deal on a Trust Message fork and i'm thinking of snagging it.
    [fires up the popcorn]

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    [fires up the popcorn]
    ha yeah, i am tempted since it's a bonkers good deal. i also don't know what the fuck i'm doing here, but i like playing around with shit and trying new things

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    There are spacers you can use to make your non-boost wheel work in a boost fork. As an example here is one off Worldwide that I've never used. https://rb.gy/b5wgmb

You probably are going to get some pushback on the Trust fork. Some folks think they are the greatest thing ever but others are pretty skeptical. What is your current fork?
    i've got a rockshox pike rct3 130mm, 51mm offset. maybe i should just keep that and put this money in the "cheap carbon wheels" piggy bank?

Do the experts use a torque wrench for installing center lock rotors/ cassettes? I've always just installed my cassettes with the equivalent of hand squeezing a tire to check pressure, 'that should be good'....

I've got a torque wrench for bits and bolts but not for that kind of tool, I'm assuming there's a certain wax required for said torque wrench also

Firm hand tight is fine. I've never had a cassette back off. I have had a centerlock back off a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Do the experts use a torque wrench for installing center lock rotors/ cassettes? I've always just installed my cassettes with the equivalent of hand squeezing a tire to check pressure, 'that should be good'....

I've got a torque wrench for bits and bolts but not for that kind of tool, I'm assuming there's a certain wax required for said torque wrench also
    I use one but mostly because it holds the cassette or centerlock tool in place much better than a regular adjustable wrench and the long handle makes it really nice in high-torque applications. 40 Nm (I think that's the spec) is high enough that you can crank hard and get close enough without risking damage.
    I think torque control is probably much more important at the lower end of the spectrum.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

ha yeah, i am tempted since it's a bonkers good deal.
    I assume, from this statement, that it is *free*??

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I assume, from this statement, that it is *free*??

ha no, but are they that universally disliked?

reviews seemed to indicate that they performed incredibly well but looked weird as fuck

i've got a rockshox pike rct3 130mm, 51mm offset. maybe i should just keep that and put this money in the "cheap carbon wheels" piggy bank?
    Egregious suggestion I know but you could ride the bike for a few 100 miles and get a good feel for what you like and what you think could be improved before setting a pile of $$ on fire to get a unicorn fork. Without a baseline you're probably going to miss out on all this "performed incredibly well" and will only deal with the bullshit aspects of having a piece of gear nobody understands and wants to work on if you have an issue.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Egregious suggestion I know but you could ride the bike for a few 100 miles and get a good feel for what you like and what you think could be improved before setting a pile of $$ on fire to get a unicorn fork. Without a baseline you're probably going to miss out on all this "performed incredibly well" and will only deal with the bullshit aspects of having a piece of gear nobody understands and wants to work on if you have an issue.
    yeah that's the thing, if it was a pile of money i would say no. it's not. it's cheap as shit, for obvious reasons. pretty trivial amount of money, and i figure i could always swap the fork back if i didn't like it for whatever reason.

that said, it's also weird as shit, and with trust now out of business, probably not a smart move.

I use one but mostly because it holds the cassette or centerlock tool in place much better than a regular adjustable wrench and the long handle makes it really nice in high-torque applications. 40 Nm (I think that's the spec) is high enough that you can crank hard and get close enough without risking damage.
    I think torque control is probably much more important at the lower end of the spectrum.
    What wrench do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Firm hand tight is fine. I've never had a cassette back off. I have had a centerlock back off a few times.
    same with cassettes, centerlock is new to me

reviews seemed to indicate that they performed incredibly well but looked weird as fuck
    Well - add to that completely proprietary (AFAIK) from a company that is Tango Uniform. What could possible go wrong?

ETA: If it's *disposable* cheap... I say go for it. But accept that it's gonna be a throw-away.

yeah that's the thing, if it was a pile of money i would say no. it's not. it's cheap as shit, for obvious reasons. pretty trivial amount of money, and i figure i could always swap the fork back if i didn't like it for whatever reason.

that said, it's also weird as shit, and with trust now out of business, probably not a smart move.
    One way to look at it. Which makes me think, I have a hot pink Patagucci fartbag, barely used, stylish faux-fur on the collar, the absolute height of 80s style. Perfect of apres in Deer Valley, retails for $1400, you can have it for $200. You can always go back to your regular touring pants if you don't like it.

You're right, it's only money. And I bet you'll get mobbed on the Shoreline by people who will want to touch you and your fork. Shit, I get questions all the time about the reverse arch on the Mezzer and it's not that noticeable.
    I say go for it and post a TR!

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    What wrench do you have?
    I bought a cheap one ($40ish) a long time ago on Amazon when doing some work on the car. It's a Tacklife with a 3/8" drive (+adapters for smaller and bigger drives) and a torque range of 15ish to 110ish Nm.
    I only use it for rotors, BB, and cassette, for everything else on the bike I use a smaller more precise one which came with my previous bike and maxes at 15 Nm.

you could ride the bike for a few 100 miles and get a good feel for what you like and what you think could be improved before setting a pile of $$ on fire to get a unicorn fork.
    Tgapp pls listen to Boissal here.. that fork is cheap for a reason

Back in the freeride days Guys would thro money around they didn't need to spend and then something big breaks cuz a lot of shit broke so they end up walking for the rest of the season,

if you really need a gear fix go look around the bike store and then just buy a sticker
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

They perform incredibly well in certain situations, and kinda terribly in other situations. People I know that have / had them are back on traditional forks.

They're certainly interesting, but I wouldn't spend money on one. Hell, even if someone gave me one for free, it'd take a bit of beer for me to convince myself it was worth the (fairly minimal) time and effort to install it on my bike.

And yeah, they look weird as fuck. They're distractingly weird looking even while riding.

I feel like for a Trust to be a good enough deal for me to consider it, it would have to be cheaper than a rebuild for my current fork.

One way to look at it. Which makes me think, I have a hot pink Patagucci fartbag, barely used, stylish faux-fur on the collar, the absolute height of 80s style. Perfect of apres in Deer Valley, retails for $1400, you can have it for $200. You can always go back to your regular touring pants if you don't like it.

You're right, it's only money. And I bet you'll get mobbed on the Shoreline by people who will want to touch you and your fork. Shit, I get questions all the time about the reverse arch on the Mezzer and it's not that noticeable.
    I say go for it and post a TR!

I bought a cheap one ($40ish) a long time ago on Amazon when doing some work on the car. It's a Tacklife with a 3/8" drive (+adapters for smaller and bigger drives) and a torque range of 15ish to 110ish Nm.
    I only use it for rotors, BB, and cassette, for everything else on the bike I use a smaller more precise one which came with my previous bike and maxes at 15 Nm.
    Now I'm kinda interested in your Patagucci suit for sale...

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Thinking about trying some 2mm thick rotors for park season. Wife and I inevitably end up with a lot of whatever you call it when they just seem cooked/glazed and howl relentlessly. Warping/bending gets annoying too. Anyone have experience with the Magura or the Galfer rotors? Magura are a lot cheaper. Maybe I'm howling up the wrong tree?
    I've been using Hayes D-Series (1.95 mm) for a couple seasons and they've been most excellent.

Dude, stop.

Ok, at this point yer gonna have to tell us how much you can get the Message for.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Ok, at this point yer gonna have to tell us how much you can get the Message for.
    And then don't do it. Buy some new tires or something if you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Dude, stop.
    The answer to this may have been obvious to you, but it wasn't to me. Apologies for wasting your time with something as banal and beneath you as a fork upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    $350 but I think I could have gotten him down to $300. Against a fork that retailed at $2700, it seemed like a smoking deal - way better than Boissal's Patagucci pant deal.

But, like others have pointed out, Trust is out of business, it's stupid complicated, and it's a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. Word. I understand all of that, I was just insanely tempted by the novelty of the fork and the very low price.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    And then don't do it. Buy some new tires or something if you have money burning a hole in your pocket.
    Yep, this is where I ended up. Dumb idea. Tempting, but the money would be better spent on carbon wheels or on new tires or on any other number of things.

Thanks for talking me out of shenanigans.