Page 190 of 531 FirstFirst ... 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 ... LastLast
Results 4,726 to 4,750 of 13255

Thread: Ask the experts

If you're taking your bike on a plane do you let the air out of the suspension? Or just wax it?

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    If you're taking your bike on a plane do you let the air out of the suspension? Or just wax it?
    I let the air out of my suspension to make it fit in the bike bag a little better, but not out of any altitude / pressurization concern.

You might get hassled about air in the tires, leaving France madam Karen asked if i let air out of the tires so of course i said yes except she checked, one of the kids with french immerison said " she is really mad at your for lying to her " ... so sue me

so I think a clean bike ( no furin soil ) gets brought in, with deflated tires is what the airlines really want, i doubt they know what a shock is and they probably won't check
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I’m bringing pumps for both so I think I’ll make my choice based on fitting the bikes in the evoc bags that I’m fortunate to be borrowing.

Guess I’ll find out if a downcountry bike can hang in the mountains. Last trip out west I brought a Bronson.

Just psyched to travel

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Any recommendations on a 31.8 carbon bar
    I’ve used the Ibis 31.8 Hi-Fi Carbon bar in the past. No complaints and the weight seemed competitive. I see nearly new take-offs on PinkBike and local classifieds regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    is there a best chamois shorts thread somewhere?
    Recently got Kitsbow chamois and they are really good. Expensive but really good. This replaced a set from Ibex that were the best I’ve had, but are discontinued for the time being.

Chamois are so 2019, jorts are where its at for 2021!

79$ and you gotta rip them yourself ?

nothing beats a pair of bib chamois, they are expensive but worth it IME cuz they stay up,

you buy em so the straps pull a bit standing up but don't when leaning forward, its important for the front of the short to be low enough to piss over the top

I got some castelli i like, just wear a pair of regular non chamois shorts over the spandex
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-31-2021 at 09:29 AM.

I have a guy interested in some brakes I'm selling, but he's in Canada. Anything I should know before proceeding? What's the best way to take payment in foreign currency?

There are also "liner" bibs out there that are thinner and lighter than a standard pair of shorts. I have the pearl izumi cargo ones and while they're not my nicest, most comfortable shorts they're still pretty good and are $100 retail (a good pair of standard bibs can be twice that or more).

Oh on sale right now

https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/sho...ort/p/19111908

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I have a guy interested in some brakes I'm selling, but he's in Canada. Anything I should know before proceeding? What's the best way to take payment in foreign currency?
    I sold a pair of shoes to a guy in Canada. Shipping was crazy expensive and slow, like $35 without tracking. I told him the price in USD, and he paid with Paypal. I think it gives the payer an option to specify currency, then the payer's bank charges a currency conversion fee.

In your case, probably want to make him pay a bit more on shipping to get tracking. I'd also make sure he knows that he's responsible for any import fees if Canadian customs decides to assess them.

#1 He's going to pay through the arse for shipping 'clearance fees' (aka legal extortion) from UPS or any of the others. Best to ship via USPS to avoid that. It just takes a little longer.

#2 Paypal.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

I've tried several different brands over the years, and my current favorite are BN3TH. Yes, the name is stupid, and yeah the "pocket" looks ridiculous, but it works and they are actually very comfortable. Padding is on par with other pricier chamois.

i have heard all kinds of storys, you got shipping/ exchnge/ duties/ brokerage fees some of which are maybe so the buyer never knows how they will get hit till they add up all the bills but i dont think anyone really does, i perosnaly refrain from buying in the USA

i heard a guy brag he paid 350 $ for a shirt after yada/ returns/ ect

i paid 55$ for a FREE pair of used Dalbello ski boots from a Mag off the gear swap so it was just USPS and a beer

i paid 112$ for a 39$ pair of 661 axo Dualies, msrp was 159$ so i still saved money but that was still pretty crazy,
    great shoe BTW
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-31-2021 at 11:15 AM.

In addition to the fees, customs will occasionally sit on a package for ridiculously long times for no apparent reason. I've had packages get hung up for months, only to one day randomly arrive.

Is there a bar clamp for Shimano I-Spec EV mounts? I've got the SLX shifter that has the attachment mechanism, but I'm running SRAM brakes on this specific bike so it's not compatible with the Matchmaker mount. This is what I've got, and I just want to mount it directly to the bar:

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...-M7100-IR.html

Oh, and fuck all these Matchmaker-type mounts... let's introduce more non-compatible parts all in the name of "keeping your handlebar cockpit clean". Ugh.

Dantheman another piece of advice - if you happen to ship it stateside with USPS they hand it off to Canada Post when it gets up here. CP has been pretty garbage since the beginning of the pandemic. Their delivery guarantees are not enforced anymore, and on the off chance that lose or miss route the delivery it takes ages to get any answers, let alone any actual results from them.

I would protect yourself and tell the buyer 'shipping cost and risk' are on them.

I order/ship a fair bit cross border. Never had a problem in hundreds of transactions. Get him to pay by paypal and his address listed in paypal must match the addtess youre shipping to. Insure it and add that in the cost. Like i said, ive had no problem but a few $ of insurance is worth the piece of mind. The usps tracking number will transfer over to canada post tracking number when canada post recieves it and processes it. Shipping is taking 5- 7 days longer these days. Usually thats the amount of time it sits at customs before its processed. The buyer will pay any taxes and duties when he picks it up. Thats on him and he should be aware of that. I usually give buyers the shipping quote with insurance included and also relay my experience with current shipping being 5-7 days slower , and in some cases a few days longer than that. Pretty much the same process i, or you, would do within the border. If the buyer has an extensive buy/sell history i wouldnt worry one bit. Proceed how you normally would

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Ship USPS. List item as USED BIKE PARTS on your customs card, buy the insurance for full cost of the sale, have the seller pay the full cost of shipping and insurance, and let they know that there is no delivery time guaranty , and that they are responsible to chase Canada Post for the insurance if the package is undelivered.
    I’ve lived on both sides of the boarder, and shipped and received many items on both sides.
    The only concern is the customs and CanadaPost reliability/processing time during the pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Is there a bar clamp for Shimano I-Spec EV mounts? I've got the SLX shifter that has the attachment mechanism, but I'm running SRAM brakes on this specific bike so it's not compatible with the Matchmaker mount. This is what I've got, and I just want to mount it directly to the bar:

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...-M7100-IR.html

Oh, and fuck all these Matchmaker-type mounts... let's introduce more non-compatible parts all in the name of "keeping your handlebar cockpit clean". Ugh.
    I don't know the answer to your question but gimme a bar clamp and the industry can fuck all the way off with those stupid systems

wolf tooth and problem solvers both make "mismatch adapters"

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    wolf tooth and problem solvers both make "mismatch adapters"
    I saw that, but they're also both out of stock. I really just want a simple clamp that fits onto that damn shifter.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I saw that, but they're also both out of stock. I really just want a simple clamp that fits onto that damn shifter.
    There's a Shimano conversion kit to their bar clamp. It's a new plastic top to the shifter, 3 microscopic bolts, and the clamp... for like $35 or so.

Thanks guys!

Anyone have experience running E13 cranks with Shimano 12sp drivetrain?

New bike is coming with E13 TRS Race Carbon cranks, the rest of the drivetrain is XTR. I’ve heard of some issues with 12sp Shimano chains not always playing nice with ‘universal’ 12sp rings. Should I be concerned that this could be an issue with this particular crankset?

Also, the frame is BB92, so this is the 30mm axle in 41mm shell which only allows small bearings for the BB. I know this isn’t ideal from a longevity standpoint, but real world is it an issue? Will bearings be shitting the bed every few months? (For context, I’ve only every had to replace one worn BB on one of my bikes, so I’m not super hard on them)

Alternative would probably be to try and switch out for XT cranks/BB if it would work better/last significantly longer, and if I’m going to end up going down that road anyway, I’d rather do it up front when I can still sell the E13 carbon cranks while they look nice. Of course sourcing Shimano cranks right now presents a problem in and of itself.