Page 391 of 524 FirstFirst ... 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 ... LastLast
Results 9,751 to 9,775 of 13088

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Interesting, the factory bleed on the Code RS on my GFs new Stumpy Evo is complete garbage. I'm surprised the shop even sent it out the door like that.

Conversely, the factory bleed on my '21 enduro never needed to be fucked with in 2 seasons of riding.
    Ya, my rear brake straight up quit working the first ride on them. That was a shit show in itself. All time horrible service at Bangtail bikes in Bozeman fixing the issue. I feel like a moron for ever buying anything from that shop. Hopefully I learn this time…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I got some carbon wheels about three years ago that have been amazing (Hunt). Literally have never put a spoke wrench to them, still round, true, and tight. Do I need to worry about the nipples seizing? I'm guessing they were assembled with some sort of anti-seize compound or loctite or something. Worth giving them a quarter turn in each direction, or just leave them be? At this point, with the abuse they have taken, I can't see ever needing to touch them unless I catch a stick in the spokes or some other catastrophe.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    I got some carbon wheels about three years ago that have been amazing (Hunt). Literally have never put a spoke wrench to them, still round, true, and tight. Do I need to worry about the nipples seizing? I'm guessing they were assembled with some sort of anti-seize compound or loctite or something. Worth giving them a quarter turn in each direction, or just leave them be? At this point, with the abuse they have taken, I can't see ever needing to touch them unless I catch a stick in the spokes or some other catastrophe.
    I personally wouldn't fuck with them.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I personally wouldn't fuck with them.
    X2.

Worst case scenario, some of them seize. Cut the spoke and replace it. Not a big deal.

Lost my shop hookup for cable housing. Should I just buy a lifetime supply 50m box of sp41 for $80 off eBay or is there a more cost effective source for a smaller quantities?

Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    Lost my shop hookup for cable housing. Should I just buy a lifetime supply 50m box of sp41 for $80 off eBay or is there a more cost effective source for a smaller quantities?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QSXNPK...dDbGljaz10cnVl
    Let me know if you stumble across a source for bulk shift cables. 6-7 years ago, a few buddies and I went in on a box of SRAM shift cables and I've finally burned through my share of them. The thought of being raped by a LBS for an individually packaged cable makes me ill.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QSXNPK...dDbGljaz10cnVl
    Let me know if you stumble across a source for bulk shift cables. 6-7 years ago, a few buddies and I went in on a box of SRAM shift cables and I've finally burned through my share of them. The thought of being raped by a LBS for an individually packaged cable makes me ill.
    I usually just pick up these.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-Zi...-Cable-10-Pack

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    I usually just pick up these.
    Same here. Keep an eye out when you're down to a couple left and you'll eventually find the box on sale. Same with the housing. I'm down to about 5 feet left.

Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    I had two 20' lengths of Jagwire LEX-SL housing here for sale for months before it finally sold a couple weeks ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

I've been working through a roll of Sunlite housing I got on Amazon for cheap that's been fine. Looks like they sell it in boxes now.

Hard to beat that Shimano box up-thread, but it's been out of stock when I've needed cables, so I end up getting whatever cable/ferrule/cap package that's cheap and gets good/reliable reviews on Amazon. The cables feel a little courser than brand name, but I don't notice it in use.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Ask the experts

Re housing and cables: Just find a mag on here to mail you some at wholesale price plus USPS costs.
    “I need 20’ shifter housing, 5 shifter cables,5 cable crimps, and 12 ferrule end caps”

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Re housing and cables: Just find a mag on here to mail you some at wholesale price plus USPS costs.
    “I need 20’ shifter housing, 5 shifter cables,5 cable crimps, and 12 ferrule end caps”
    Honestly never considered this, but that's what definitely what I'll do next time I'm stocking up.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Can I fit an Ohlins spring on a Marzocchi Bomber CR shock? Asking because yellow... Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin Ben View Post
    Can I fit an Ohlins spring on a Marzocchi Bomber CR shock? Asking because yellow... Thanks in advance!
    Should fit. I believe ohlins shocks / springs have a 36mm inner diameter, and marzocchi (and fox) use a 35.5mm inner diameter spring. Which should fall under "close enough."

You'll obviously need the correct length spring for your shock still.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Should fit. I believe ohlins shocks / springs have a 36mm inner diameter, and marzocchi (and fox) use a 35.5mm inner diameter spring. Which should fall under "close enough."

You'll obviously need the correct length spring for your shock still.
    Did some googling: https://j-techsuspension.co.uk/produ...21452359303245

"If you have a Fox Shock (35mm) then using the 35/36mm Adaptor you are able to fit 36mm ID springs such as Cane Creek, Ohlins, Bos etc."

If SRAM recommends either DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 fluid, is there any advantage to 5.1 over the 4? Because I have a whole bottle of sealed 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    If SRAM recommends either DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 fluid, is there any advantage to 5.1 over the 4? Because I have a whole bottle of sealed 4.
    5.1's a little better - higher boiling point. But 4's fine; I'd use it. They're also compatible, so there's no issue with pushing some 5.1 in on your next bleed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    I remember reading somewhere (but don’t remember where) that DOT 4 absorbs water more slowly than 5.1 and therefore lasts longer.

DOT 4 has a minimum boiling point of 230 deg C, and DOT 5.1 is 270 deg C. I bet you wouldn’t notice any performance difference.

DOT 5.1 positives:
    -higher boiling point
    -greater viscosity at low temps
    DOT 5.1 negatives:
    -more hygroscopic, and absorbs more moisture
    -more corrosive to painted finishes
    -costs more

SRAM claim you'll get better braking performance with 5.1, although both 4 and 5.1 are compatible and able to me mixed.
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 03-30-2023 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    DOT 5.1 positives:
    -higher boiling point
    -greater viscosity at low temps
    DOT 5.1 negatives:
    -more hygroscopic, and absorbs more moisture
    -more corrosive to painted finishes
    -costs more

SRAM claim you'll get better braking performance with 5.1, although both 4 and 5.1 are compatible and able to me mixed.
    Well, there ya go.
    Mix them into your own personal cocktail and have the best of both worlds.
    Well, actually, to have the best you'd have to put that cocktail into a set of Hope Tech4V4s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Well, there ya go.
    Mix them into your own personal cocktail and have the best of both worlds.
    Well, actually, to have the best you'd have to put that cocktail into a set of Hope Tech4V4s.
    I sense an opportunity here. We can create custom brake fluid blends for all of the top rider bros, and their fans will slurp it up!

Richie Rude signature brake fluid blend will take take your Dentist Bike (tm) to the next level!
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Total fail, those dudes don’t use their brakes.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Question about hub end cap adapters on a new Lyrik I bought and am installing. What are they exactly, and do I need to use them?

Hubs are DT Swiss 370

Manual is a little vague. Not sure if my hub has “Torque Cap end caps”…

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3906692E-7625-464D-84D3-B3B04F557322.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	459.5 KB 
ID:	453896

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Come on now, next thing you'll be telling me I'm not faster after installing my Greg Minaar signature bar ends and my Wyn Masters Edition Manual Trainer isn't what he practices on off camera.

Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Ehhhhh I know you’re joking, but you should see the color of Richie’s rotors at the end of big race days. Taste the Rainbow.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums