Page 43 of 533 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 13303

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    1) A Grip2 damper is clearly superior to the fit4, but a new damper isn't gonna fix bushing slop. That said, sounds like something is fucky with your damper - the fit4's weren't great, but they weren't as terrible as you're describing. I'd probably start with a rebuild, then if you still don't like it, sell it. Of course, if that rebuild was going to take more than a week or so, that might change things.

2) side to side play in your rear linkage is bad. Not sure what it'd be - a missing washer / spacer somewhere is the most likely culprit. Left unchecked, that play will lead to bigger issues down the road.
    Agreed with all of that. Only thing I'd add is, make sure you're not just feeling the brake pads rocking in the caliper as the play before you start replacing bushings. From the way you described it sounds like that's probably not it, but it'd be worth double checking.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, replaced my fork without incident. I ended up getting a steerer tube saw guide in addition to the star nut setter thing, the combination of which made it quite idiot proof. Took me like 6 tries to get the stem lined up with the front wheel, that was probably the hardest part.

1) A Grip2 damper is clearly superior to the fit4, but a new damper isn't gonna fix bushing slop. That said, sounds like something is fucky with your damper - the fit4's weren't great, but they weren't as terrible as you're describing. I'd probably start with a rebuild, then if you still don't like it, sell it. Of course, if that rebuild was going to take more than a week or so, that might change things.

2) side to side play in your rear linkage is bad. Not sure what it'd be - a missing washer / spacer somewhere is the most likely culprit. Left unchecked, that play will lead to bigger issues down the road.
    Okay, if I can get the fork rebuilt in a reasonable time frame I'll do that. I am loathe to tear down the linkage again, because getting the captive bottom link back in the frame together with the requisite washers is such a pain, but I guess it's worth doing.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Agreed with all of that. Only thing I'd add is, make sure you're not just feeling the brake pads rocking in the caliper as the play before you start replacing bushings. From the way you described it sounds like that's probably not it, but it'd be worth double checking.
    I know the rocking brake pad noise and feel very well (and so does anyone who rides within earshot of me), and this is not it. I can really clamp down hard on the brakes, so the pads don't move in the calipers, and still feel the fork clunk.
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    Took me like 6 tries to get the stem lined up with the front wheel, that was probably the hardest part.
    I worked in a shop as a mechanic for years, and it still feels like I fuck that up on the first try at least half the time.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    The advantage to the Ardent, over something like a Nevegal, is that it makes it very clear very early that it's not going to grip in a corner. No trickery or false sense of security, it's very open about the fact that it sucks at cornering. Kind of admirable if you think about it.
    Ardents and Nevegals.

This thread has jumped the shark.

<snip> if you still don't like it, sell it.
    This has been my solution to every Fox fork I've ever had.

Disclaimer: I ain't had many, but they both had to go because they sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    They make noise. Notice a decline in performance?
    No, but it's brand new, so I'm not sure I'd even know because I've been playing with pressure/rebound with both front and rear.

I'm going to check pressure tonight as I set it last night then rode today. Going to see if I've lost any.

I don't know, maybe this is normal for a Fox shock?

Quote Originally Posted by cmor View Post
    I want to lower the gearing on my cross bike. Currently at 46/36t with a 11-26t 10spd cassette. Looking to go to a 11-36t cassette. It's a 2013 with Sram Re, that derailleur only takes 28t. Was looking at picking up a Sram GX 10spd derailleur with medium cage and to accommodate the new cassette. Can I shift a 2020 GX derailleur with Sram Red from 2013?
    I’d get an 11-30 or an 11-32 and you’ll be fine with a little bit of B-tension screw adjustment on that derailleur. You might need to find a longer b-tension screw, or you can reverse the bolt direction fir some added length.
    If you really need 11-36 you can use a MTB XX, XO, X9 or X7 10 speed derailleur driven by your 10sp Red shifters.

When SRAM launched their road technology from scratch they re-applied the MTB SRAM 1:1 actuation ratio (shifter cable travel : derailleur movement) for 10 speed rear shifting.
    This is a redesign from the 9 speed SRAM stuff.
    So SRAM’s 10-speed mountain bike derailleurs XX, X0, X9 & X7 are compatible with their 10-speed road shifters Red, Force, Rival & Apex.
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 06-22-2020 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    That was my first thought. I've had people swear they can't get their headset play out when it was actually that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

the fork I just got came set at 110psi (with a mfr's stated max of 145), and can hand flex it by leaning on the handlebars somewhat readily. the manual says at my weight (150lbs) it should be 65-75psi. this seems insane, but is it stupid to just let it be and ride it 30+psi over recommended?

the fork I just got came set at 110psi (with a mfr's stated max of 145), and can hand flex it by leaning on the handlebars somewhat readily. the manual says at my weight (150lbs) it should be 65-75psi. this seems insane, but is it stupid to just let it be and ride it 30+psi over recommended?
    Do you know how to measure sag? If so, what is your sag at now?
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    hm, I do in theory and I have some zip ties. I'll take a look later

hm, I do in theory and I have some zip ties. I'll take a look later
    You'll want a shock pump too, won't be able to adjust it accurately with a regular pump.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    You'll want a shock pump too, won't be able to adjust it accurately with a regular pump.
    I have a $25 “fox racing shox suspension pump” ... but it’s a bit janky

e: https://www.backcountry.com/fox-raci...uspension-pump

it worked fine for adjusting the dropper seat's suspension, but it did not seem to affect my actual fork suspension much. maybe I am doing it wrong idk

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Ditto what he said. Ignore the charts for a moment and make sure you have a way of measuring the fork sag. Ideally you have a stable bike stand or a partner to help, but I’ve done this just by leaning against the wall.

This article was the first one that came up on google, start at the “Adjust your controls” section halfway down and go from there.

https://www.mbr.co.uk/how-to-2/hardtail-set-up-376850

Here are some tips:
    -if the fork doesn’t have a rubber o ring travel indicator, use a zip tie around one stanchion
    -ideally when measuring sag you would rock the bike back and forth, then slowly get into a standing “descent”
    position, have someone set the o ring to the bottom of the stanchion (or ever so delicately do it with one hand while supporting your body with the other), then slowly get off the bike so you can measure the amount of travel you used.
    -figure that 20-25% only as a starting point ... one school of thought is that you should have your suspension set up so that when riding hard, you are bottoming out at least once per ride, meaning you are using all the travel available from your fork ... which is why you may need to add or remove air after some test rides
    -write down your suspension settings (air pressure, rebound clicks CCW from full closed, compression clicks CCW from full closed), like in a note file on your cell phone. This way you can keep track of where you are at and see how specific changes are reflected in the riding feel.

Special notes:
    -Whenever changing air pressure remember to really cycle the fork before measuring air pressure and testing the resulting sag, this is because most air spring forks need to equalize the pressure in the positive and negative spring chambers
    -some forks do *not* bottom out where the stanchion tops out at the crown! This will affect your perceived sag and “am I using full travel available” observations!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

^ interesting. I will measure the sag tomorrow morning before I ride then. what does "really cycle the fork" mean - fully compress it? e: also, is "full closed" rebound all the way to the minus sign or all the way to the plus sign? lol

A recent video with Jordie from Fox had him saying, just do a dozen very short pumps of fork (5mm or so), until you hear/feel the equalize of chambers.

Yeah, there's not really any reason to get deep in the stroke. Basically there's a little dimple on the inside of the stanchion near the topout point, and when the seal on the air piston passes over it, it lets air past the seal between the positive and negative chambers. You're just trying to go back and forth over that a few times to get the two chambers equalized properly.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Useless bottle cage mount solution?

I am running a size small Knolly Warden Carbon with a Push coil shock, so the cage mounts are useless unless I had some weird 2" diameter water bottle.

I would like to use those mounts to strap a small custom water bottle or my CO2/tube or thin can of bear spray to.

Salsa makes the "Anything Cage" but that looks pretty huge for mounting feed bags or full size Nalgene bottles too. Is there a similar product I am not seeing. Basically a metal bar that attaches to frame using cage mounts and then has 2 or 3 velcro straps. If it doesn't exist I am just gonna make it with home depot alu flat stock.

EDIT:

Nevermind. Think I found exactly what I needed.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...d-mount#loaded

^ what those guys said on the pressure equalization thing.

On the fully closed thing, fully closed means all the way “righty tightey” and I also say “clamp to damp” as a moniker. This next bit is just “what I’ve heard” because despite being a semi-engineer guy I’ve never torn down a fork to validate what is happening in the damper assembly myself ... but what I’ve heard is that the reason to count number of clicks CCW from fully closed is that on some forks, the first 1 or 2 clicks CW from fully open may have no or little effect (on compression or rebound dampening) compared to subsequent dial movements.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Useless bottle cage mount solution?

I am running a size small Knolly Warden Carbon with a Push coil shock, so the cage mounts are useless unless I had some weird 2" diameter water bottle.

I would like to use those mounts to strap a small custom water bottle or my CO2/tube or thin can of bear spray to.

Salsa makes the "Anything Cage" but that looks pretty huge for mounting feed bags or full size Nalgene bottles too. Is there a similar product I am not seeing. Basically a metal bar that attaches to frame using cage mounts and then has 2 or 3 velcro straps. If it doesn't exist I am just gonna make it with home depot alu flat stock.

EDIT:

Nevermind. Think I found exactly what I needed.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...d-mount#loaded
    I was gonna say, doesn’t every cheap bike pump come with a bottle cage mount with Velcro straps that you could instead use for a can of bear spray? I also haven’t tried this but it seems the money move is to replace the Velcro straps with short voile straps ... of course if a mama brown bear is charging at you, is much rather have that shit on my hip belt ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    I was gonna say, doesn’t every cheap bike pump come with a bottle cage mount with Velcro straps that you could instead use for a can of bear spray? I also haven’t tried this but it seems the money move is to replace the Velcro straps with short voile straps ... of course if a mama brown bear is charging at you, is much rather have that shit on my hip belt ...
    Yeah, I am one of those kooks who has slowly evolved to try to ride with the least amount of stuff on my person. I honestly can't believe I used to ride with an actual backpack. Now the 2L hip pack feels bulky at times. If it's a 2.5 hour ride or less I will have nothing on my back and it's amazing.

Bear spray strapped to the cage mount probably wouldn't be all that useful to grab in .0004 seconds.

Either mounting one of these or just wearing the damn hip belt makes sense. Although I have heard of people crashing their bike and puncturing the bear spray. Talk about Type 2 OTB with extra spice!

https://www.atkenco.com/counter-assa...oaAkMOEALw_wcB

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Yeah, I am one of those kooks who has slowly evolved to try to ride with the least amount of stuff on my person. I honestly can't believe I used to ride with an actual backpack. Now the 2L hip pack feels bulky at times. If it's a 2.5 hour ride or less I will have nothing on my back and it's amazing.
    Hilarious.

25 years ago: "I honestly can't believe I used to ride shit strapped all over my bike. Now when I ride I will have everything on my back in a hydration pack and it's amazing."

ya this ^^
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    ya this ^^
    Fuckin' n00Bs, amirite??