Page 189 of 531 FirstFirst ... 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 ... LastLast
Results 4,701 to 4,725 of 13255

Thread: Ask the experts

If it’s 11 speed with a proper chain line, I rarely go above or below 5/6, if that makes sense.
    But I have it geared for any combination in case of duress/mis-shift.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Ask the experts

yeah that makes sense. (it’s 11 speed on a new bike, but that bike got assembled at REI so idk) soo my technique could use some work then I guess. my old road bike with 105, 34/50 12-30 10 speed will tolerate anything except full cross chaining. maybe a real bike shop can deal with this though

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    yeah that makes sense. (it’s 11 speed on a new bike, but that bike got assembled at REI so idk) soo my technique could use some work then I guess. my old road bike with 105, 34/50 12-30 10 speed will tolerate anything except full cross chaining. maybe a real bike shop can deal with this though
    You should not have rubbing with any modern front derailleur. You can adjust the lateral position and the rotational angle of the front derailleur cage, and it has to be done just right to avoid the rub but it can definitely be done. Shimano derailleurs have excellent "trim" function which is a way to micro adjust. But yeah any competent mechanic can do this is 2 seconds.

heh. ok this was my hope. great I will take it to LBS

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    Personally I’d bring this back over to Rei and have Tucker or one of his techs take care of it. This is an easy fix. Hope all is well with you, momma and baby.

Ask the experts

Anybody know what this is? Pretty sure it came with the new bike but not sure what it’s for.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1622208988.555911.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	375840
    Last edited by bagtagley; 05-28-2021 at 07:36 AM.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Anybody know what this is? Pretty sure it came with the new bike but not sure what it’s for.

Attachment 375839
    That's an Allen key. Almost certainly metric.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Looks like an extension for a hard to reach inflation valve. Just a guess

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Looks like an extension for a hard to reach inflation valve. Just a guess
    Yeah, that's what it is. Now, to figure out what it goes with.

Thanks, Chup, you're a big help.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Yeah, that's what it is. Now, to figure out what it goes with.

Thanks, Chup, you're a big help.
    My BikeYoke dropper came with a similar valve extension. But not that allen wrench (they use Torx bolts).

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    My BikeYoke dropper came with a similar valve extension. But not that allen wrench (they use Torx bolts).
    That's it! Thanks! The allen wrench is probably for the reset.

I don't actually need to use it, but it was driving me crazy trying to figure out what it goes with.

It's a valve extension for the air valve that's in the top of the Bike Yoke dropper, to make it easier to reach. FWIW, I've had 50+ BikeYoke Revive droppers in the last few seasons and I think I've added air to one post. Knock on wood, they're pretty flawless.

The allen wrench/key is for the self-bleed port that's on the underside of the saddle clamps.

Pro tip for the Bike Yoke Revive droppers: if you hang your bike vertically (on a hook in your garage, or on a vertical-carry hitch rack), make sure the post is extended. If it's down, air will enter the system and you'll have to self-bleed the post when you take the bike down.

Just got a new 2020 DHX2 for my Canfield Riot. I think I have my settings dialed in enough for the first ride tomorrow, except the top-out is a bit harsh. Is this from too much spring preload? I backed off the preload a little and it seemed to get better, but I'm having a hard time finding the preload sweet spot where the spring isn't rattling around but it's not overly preloaded either.

I'm only feeling the top-out when I bounce on the bike pretty aggressively and pull up with my clippy pedals, not just riding along. Although I guess I exhibit bouncy fake-bunny-hop behavior regularly whilst JRA, so there is that.
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Just got a new 2020 DHX2 for my Canfield Riot. I think I have my settings dialed in enough for the first ride tomorrow, except the top-out is a bit harsh. Is this from too much spring preload? I backed off the preload a little and it seemed to get better, but I'm having a hard time finding the preload sweet spot where the spring isn't rattling around but it's not overly preloaded either.

I'm only feeling the top-out when I bounce on the bike pretty aggressively and pull up with my clippy pedals, not just riding along. Although I guess I exhibit bouncy fake-bunny-hop behavior regularly whilst JRA, so there is that.
    Spring preload shouldn't be a problem as long as you're within the acceptable range (1 - 3 full turns). If you have more preload than that, you have too much preload and maybe need a stiffer spring. If you're within that preload range, try adding a couple clicks of rebound (I'd probably start with just the low speed circuit, but if it only happens with an aggressive bounce, a click or two of HSR might help).

Has anyone lost or broke a chain roller? No signs of damage anywhere on the chain. Link and pin are tight. Shimano 12-speed 7100 chain with about 150 miles on it. I’m guessing it’s not a good idea to ride as is. Thoughts? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC467A62-1BD2-4176-8318-830B55E3D183.jpeg 
Views:	90 
Size:	309.1 KB 
ID:	375893

Quote Originally Posted by g_man80 View Post
    Has anyone lost or broke a chain roller? No signs of damage anywhere on the chain. Link and pin are tight. Shimano 12-speed 7100 chain with about 150 miles on it. I’m guessing it’s not a good idea to ride as is. Thoughts? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC467A62-1BD2-4176-8318-830B55E3D183.jpeg 
Views:	90 
Size:	309.1 KB 
ID:	375893
    Never seen that. Warranty it, Shimano will replace it.

I was going to say this looks like the quicklink from above because I've noticed this on my chain before and that's what I assumed it was but that doesn't make sense. Off to warranty my chain too!
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Yep, not the quicklink. Unfortunately, I need it to ride this weekend. I’ll probably just use a piece from an extra link and install a second quicklink.

I've had those fall off when I had to break the chain or while using a quicklink. Never had any issue stealing one from a spare link and putting it in there.

As to the other discussion re quick links... I re-use them, never had any issue. I've also used my chain tool to push a pin out of the chain to break it, and then push the pin back into the chain plate. No issues there either.

Quote Originally Posted by bonewrenched View Post
    Ok, FSA comet crankset. The 10mm self-extracting bolt on the drive side has started to come loose, resulting in chainring wobble. Tightened it, but worked loose again after one ride. Can't find torque specs on the line. Suggestions? Do I not understand self-extracting cranks?
    Wow well I'm an idiot but thankfully I get to make fun of myself first - the torque specs are printed on the bolt. You can even see them in the picture.

Next ride will tell if that fixes the problem.

Ask the experts

I’m looking to upgrade to a carbon bar - mainly for better damping/feel.... and a little trail-cred...

Let’s talk stem clamp size:
    - So we know aluminum 35mm is too harsh. 31.8mm is the happy number for AL bars...
    - There are 35mm carbon bars marketed as being the best ride feel, utilizing the larger diameter to do so (oneup, wao, etc...).

But what about the 31.8 carbon bars? Do you need to bump up to 35mm to get the full benefits?

I have a 31.8 stem. Hence the question...

Any recommendations on a 31.8 carbon bar?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

is there a best chamois shorts thread somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Any recommendations on a 31.8 carbon bar?
    I've generally liked the enve bars I've had (although all of mine have been 35). And despite being the dentist brand, they're more or less comparably priced with most of the other nice carbon bars.

I'm pretty happy with my Protaper 31.8 carbon

https://hayesbicycle.com/products/pr...rise-handlebar

Zee Germans make a nice bar that goes by the name of Syntace Vector.