Page 206 of 530 FirstFirst ... 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 ... LastLast
Results 5,126 to 5,150 of 13244

Thread: Ask the experts

Bit of heat might do it

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    So I was servicing my pedals yesterday after landing hard on one of them, and found that the silly little outboard bearings had blown up. I pulled out all the little bearings & seals, but the outer races for 2 out of 3 of the bearings are stuck in the pedal body and won't come out. I've reached out to Tenet to see if this falls under their crash warranty program (and if they've even got any replacements).

In the mean time, any tricks for getting those stupid little races out of pedals? Dental picks weren't working. I was thinking maybe if I can find an appropriate sized tap that might work.
    Long skinny punch or flat head screwdriver from the back side? You have to angle it obviously... like taking out a headset cup without the real tool. That's always gotten them out for me, but, never with stacked bearings like it sounds like you are describing. Seems like kind of an odd design.

These are exploded cartridge bearings that are just getting replaced?

Dremel.

Yeah, unfortunately there's no lip from the opposing side that a screwdriver or something can punch them out. On the pedal that wasn't fucked up, I was able to just push them out with the axle.

Dremel's not a terrible idea if I trust my hands to hold steady and not grind the pedal body instead. Not sure if I'll be able to see what I'm doing though. It shouldn't take much to get through the puny little outer races that remain.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Is Ochain available anywhere? Or do you have to be pro to get your hands on one?

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    How is the new damper compared to the grip 1m

I have the z1 bomber coil fork with grip 1.

My style, try to stay on the ground, rocky singletrack. Few jumps.

Would like to improve square bump and brake bump sensitivity.

Would the grip 2 help?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    Been on a trip and haven't been able to install yet. Hopefully it's waiting at my place when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Is it a Santa Cruz? I had the same creaky seatpost collar issue on my Hightower and my local shop advised me to use grease instead of friction paste in the seat tube and to back off the torque on the collar to 5 nm. It seems to be working and quiet for now.
    Did a quick clean out of the carbon paste from the seat tube last night, only as far as I could reach with fingers. Still creaking. Need something to reach deeper. Maybe one of these would do the trick:https://www.maddak.com/swiveling-bac...7jsetjsodbbgd3

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Did a quick clean out of the carbon paste from the seat tube last night, only as far as I could reach with fingers. Still creaking. Need something to reach deeper. Maybe one of these would do the trick:https://www.maddak.com/swiveling-bac...7jsetjsodbbgd3
    From the seat tube? Didn't you say it was the collar? I read that description as putting grease between collar and tube. Swapping paste for grease between the post and tube seems like going the wrong direction, and making it hard to reduce collar torque (obviously creaking is hard to predict/not surprised to be surprised etc)

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    From the seat tube? Didn't you say it was the collar? I read that description as putting grease between collar and tube. Swapping paste for grease between the post and tube seems like going the wrong direction, and making it hard to reduce collar torque (obviously creaking is hard to predict/not surprised to be surprised etc)
    Yes, thought it was the collar. Cleaned the collar area really well and it was still creaking. Then greased between the collar and the frame and it was still creaking. Hank said that when he had the same issue with his Santa Cruz they told him to try removing the carbon paste and using plain grease, so that’s what I’m trying now.

Yes, thought it was the collar. Cleaned the collar area really well and it was still creaking. Then greased between the collar and the frame and it was still creaking. Hank said that when he had the same issue with his Santa Cruz they told him to try removing the carbon paste and using plain grease, so that’s what I’m trying now.
    Have you tried squirting a little lube of some sort into the spots on the saddle where the rails go into the plastic?
    A silicon spray lube works great there.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Have you tried squirting a little lube of some sort into the spots on the saddle where the rails go into the plastic?

Haven’t lubed the rails. I’ve tried to get the saddle to make noise with the post off the bike and can’t get it to creak, so don’t think it’s coming from there, but worth lubing it up to eliminate that possibility. Thanks for the suggestion .

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    A silicon spray lube works great there
    Gotta explore this tonight, my Silverado has developed the most heinous creaking and I've ran out of places to lubricate. I did the whole seatpost collar thing, then the rail-clamp interface, dropped a long strip of foam in the seat tube to deal with the dropper cable, but I never even thought of the interface between the plastic and the rails.
    Creaking didn't use to bother me until I read enough about it in this thread and now it's crushing my soul. Thanks TGR!
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I’ve ridden many hours on many Silverados and have lubed every one.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Creaking didn't use to bother me until I read enough about it in this thread and now it's crushing my soul. Thanks TGR!
    This is definitely part of it. There are creaks that get worse and indicate damage (like drivetrain) and there are these little meaningless ones. I can't remember for sure but I think I used to be better at ignoring the meaningless ones. Maybe. I might need to go listen to my road bike to find out.

On the seat post, since it's only cinched at the top it can be a little loose lower down. Maybe it's worth shimming near the end of the post with some of 3M's finest Scotch tape until it's not too easy to slide and see if that changes anything? Friction paste shouldn't be needed too far below the clamp.

Off to the basement to grab the silicone spray. I’ve just been letting the creaking from the Volt saddle annoy me for years. Pretty sure the noise is coming from where the metal interfaces with the plastic. Never thought to lube it, but then again I’m not very smart.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    On the seat post, since it's only cinched at the top it can be a little loose lower down. Maybe it's worth shimming near the end of the post with some of 3M's finest Scotch tape until it's not too easy to slide and see if that changes anything? Friction paste shouldn't be needed too far below the clamp.
    This is my current thinking, that carbon paste is down near the bottom of the post where it’s not clamped tight. But my previous thoughts have all been wrong. Could be wrong again!

we had to use carbon paste on a couple of brand new yeti 5.5 to get rid of the squeaky Fox seat posts
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Experts, what in the Hell is this crud on my IS adapter? My brakes fucked? Had loss of pressure so shop guy did a bleed, didn’t see anything wrong, and I didn’t notice this crud until after I left the shop - not sure how the tech could have missed this???

We have a solid hypothesis. XXXer was right, it’s pad schmoo - caused by rock damage on an otherwise brand new rotor and also brand new pads

Shop guy did an emery cloth polish to get the scratches out and we’ll see if that treats the pads more nicely.

Pressure loss was hopefully due to air intrusion through the lever over winter … no obvious signs of fluid leakage anywhere.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

probably old pad smoo hanging around in the caliper

I wouldnt necessarily take a caliper off and disturb a good running brake too much,

just put the new padz in and call er good

Speaking of brakes... I added velcro tape under my XT finned pads - absolute silence!

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Speaking of brakes... I added velcro tape under my XT finned pads - absolute silence!
    i think we need pictures

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    i think we need pictures
    Yes please. Not sure where velcro would fit anywhere on my XT pads...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I meant of his nekid wife or GF

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Yes please. Not sure where velcro would fit anywhere on my XT pads...
    Not my bike, but like this. I did it on both sides, but I used the fuzzy side of the velcro.

Name:  velcro.JPG
Views: 619
Size:  54.7 KB

I havent had finned pads after the stock finned pads wore out. 4 packs of nukeproof sintered pads work well and are half the price
    Ive got a case of creak paranoia now. Bike park laps yesturday all i could think about was my headtube was about to rip off!! Where ma silicone spray! Brb

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app