Page 166 of 524 FirstFirst ... 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 ... LastLast
Results 4,126 to 4,150 of 13088

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Screws and the washer thingy come with rotors.
    OK..Thanks very much. New 29er rims for the hightower. Will be sort of like a new bike. Figured might's well replace the rotors too.

Re: nutrition.

https://www.tailwindnutrition.com/sh...SAAEgJQkPD_BwE

This is by far the best stuff I’ve used. I’ve used it in 20-40 mile trail running races, long ski tours, long bike rides, etc.and consume mostly just Tailwind mixed with my water. Easy on the stomach and I can go forever on this stuff. The Rebuild is where the real magic is though. Drink that after crushing yourself and you’re ready again tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    Re: nutrition.

https://www.tailwindnutrition.com/sh...SAAEgJQkPD_BwE

This is by far the best stuff I’ve used. I’ve used it in 20-40 mile trail running races, long ski tours, long bike rides, etc.and consume mostly just Tailwind mixed with my water. Easy on the stomach and I can go forever on this stuff. The Rebuild is where the real magic is though. Drink that after crushing yourself and you’re ready again tomorrow.

No offense hick, but since I'm up and preaching, I will point out that this is almost exactly the same as skratch and clif, and very similar to gatorade endurance and osmo. Normalized to 22g of carbs like the others I listed the calories are identical, sodium and potassium are closer to the low ones. They all still have mag and calcium. All that is different between the 5 is slightly different listed sugars, but since there are so many ways to list sugars they are likely all about the same there as well.

All you are doing with this is mixing it a little heavier and getting more calories out of it per oz of water. Which, great if it works for you, but I do not recommend that for hard efforts unless they have limited time and are absolutely on the rivet the entire time.

Sorry to crusade a little here, but the sports world is just full of this stuff - people listing their drinks and foods as miracles. Many of them even think it is. The nutritionists know better. Almost all of it is pretty much the same, and this stuff fits under that category.

I always hate to see people spending a fortune on hydration drinks when there are very inexpensive options that would work just as well, or better, if they just new how to mix it to get what they want.

Oh - I didn't address the rebuild. Those are pretty much all interchangeable as well within a few different categories, but that's not addressed in these numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I've had one for about a year and a half...
    Thanks for that info. Good point on the touchscreen and gloves for the next model up.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Sorry to crusade a little here, but the sports world is just full of this stuff - people listing their drinks and foods as miracles. Many of them even think it is. The nutritionists know better. Almost all of it is pretty much the same, and this stuff fits under that category.
    The main point I take from that is that it doesn't matter what you consume as long as you're taking in sufficient calories and fluids. A lot of people probably have issues with this. I know I do.

I tried a few different things years ago and didn't find any of them really worked better than eating normal food and water on rides.

Getting into bikepacking though and riding consecutive long days I tried tailwind as a supplement to help make sure I was taking in enough calories. It seemed to work well. I would focus on eating a lot more than normal but it still wasn't enough.

That said, if something is working well for you that helps your state of mind, so who cares if it's more expensive? Not everyone has time or desire to crunch numbers and make their own mixes.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post

That said, if something is working well for you that helps your state of mind, so who cares if it's more expensive? Not everyone has time or desire to crunch numbers and make their own mixes.
    This is kinda how I feel. Is perpetuem expensive? Yes. I buy it in bulk, use coupons and points and whatever, and it's still spendy. Does it keep me from bonking and does it go down easy? Categorically, yes. Could I probably do the same thing for cheaper? No doubt, but I know this works, and it working (and working conveniently) is worth a premium for me.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

I find topping off the solution with a little adderall seems to work wonders.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Many wheel builders refuse to reuse spokes. Is there any basis to this, or is it out of a desire to sell you new spokes, or out of not wanting to bother with unlacing the wheel?

The spokes on every wheel on my bikes are scratched and gouged from rock strikes. I don't blame wheel builders for not wanting to re-use them.

I used to for swapping over a rim, or for myself, but never for builds for customers.

So, I did some grade A 5:00 am searching, but I couldn’t find a single centerlock 220 rotor anywhere. Anyone know why?
    The Magura’s (6bolt) even say “Do NOT use with a centerlock adaptor!”

Thoughts?
    Last edited by rideit; 04-14-2021 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Super easy fix. New valve core = a couple bucks and 20 seconds of work. Might not even need a new core - there could just be something gumming it up that can be cleaned out.
    Spot on diagnosis. Went to shop yesterday and the valve core was faulty. A new one went in and I was on my way 5 minutes later.

No offense hick, but since I'm up and preaching, I will point out that this is almost exactly the same as skratch and clif, and very similar to gatorade endurance and osmo. Normalized to 22g of carbs like the others I listed the calories are identical, sodium and potassium are closer to the low ones. They all still have mag and calcium. All that is different between the 5 is slightly different listed sugars, but since there are so many ways to list sugars they are likely all about the same there as well.

All you are doing with this is mixing it a little heavier and getting more calories out of it per oz of water. Which, great if it works for you, but I do not recommend that for hard efforts unless they have limited time and are absolutely on the rivet the entire time.

I always hate to see people spending a fortune on hydration drinks when there are very inexpensive options that would work just as well, or better, if they just new how to mix it to get what they want.

Oh - I didn't address the rebuild. Those are pretty much all interchangeable as well within a few different categories, but that's not addressed in these numbers.
    No offense taken! For me the stuff is cheap or free and I’ve had great luck with it being agreeable with my system. Many friends have also had great results. Just one persons opinion. Results may vary...what works for one person with fueling may not work for another.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Many wheel builders refuse to reuse spokes. Is there any basis to this, or is it out of a desire to sell you new spokes, or out of not wanting to bother with unlacing the wheel?
    Spokes don’t show metal fatigue. It’s is possible that you have old spokes in that wheel that are not at full strength. To build a nice new strong wheel that a customer can definitely rely on you should always use new spokes.

That said, spokes aren’t cheap and I always reuse the spokes when building for myself. Some shops will do that after explaining the risk to you. They just won’t take responsibility for a faulty build if you start to get snapping spokes or if the wheel craters with the old spokes. Shops that will reuse are getting rarer though.

Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I’m gonna guess there are man variables involved.
    1. Lots of wheel builders tout themselves as artists. Old spokes are an insult to such a man.
    2. Different hub or different rim means different spokes lengths. Trying to explain this to a dentist is probably annoying.
    3. When you look at used spokes, they can be slightly bent from the previous build. This stress-relief or de-tensioning helps keep spoke tension consistent down the road and prevents a lot of the unwinding you get with mass produced wheels. Those little bends make it just a little bit harder to build up quickly.
    4. Unwinding 32 spokes/nipples is 100x more hassle than cutting them out. So why would they want to do you that favor for free when they can charge you for new spokes and have a more efficient build process.

So yea, they could charge you less to do more work that’s less enjoyable and come back with something that doesn’t look as nice. Or they could charge you more, do less work that’s more pleasant and the end product looks nicer.

However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    So, I did some grade A 5:00 am searching, but I couldn’t find a single centerlock 220 rotor anywhere. Anyone know why?
    The Magura’s (6bolt) even say “Do NOT use with a centerlock adaptor!”

Thoughts?
    I believe the centerlock system is not approved/rated for anything larger than 210mm. It'll be interesting to see if it gets updated with the push for larger rotors.

Didn’t Saint or Zee have a beefier system at one time?
    I thought I remembered something like that.

Do you have a recipe to share? I'd be interested to see what that looks like.

I'm another Tailwind fan, but I wouldn't have thought the secret is in the nutrition (though that seems as good as the others, right?) I notice the taste and whatever it is that gets it absorbed and/or through the stomach: that stuff always seems to leave me ready to take the next sip sooner so I get more of it down.

That said, I haven't bought it, so apparently it's too expensive for me. I pay money for gel blocks and Hammer's little Fizz tablets because when you need it Narcan is worth it. But otherwise I'm probably cheap.
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post
    OK..Thanks very much. New 29er rims for the hightower. Will be sort of like a new bike. Figured might's well replace the rotors too.
    I think you'll like it. I personally prefer the HT as a 29er. It's my XC bike now! Skinny 2.3 tires and a fox 34 fork...loving being back on mine after almost 2 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    The main point I take from that is that it doesn't matter what you consume as long as you're taking in sufficient calories and fluids. A lot of people probably have issues with this. I know I do.

I tried a few different things years ago and didn't find any of them really worked better than eating normal food and water on rides.

Getting into bikepacking though and riding consecutive long days I tried tailwind as a supplement to help make sure I wa,s taking in enough calories. It seemed to work well. I would focus on eating a lot more than normal but it still wasn't enough.

It does matter in competition, in an ultra event you have to take in enough fuel on the run so you don't bonk, it can't make you sick and you can't really stop

you should be able to just stop and eat regular food for bikepacking or hiking I don't see why you need any special fuel for that ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I used to for swapping over a rim, or for myself, but never for builds for customers.
    a shop I used to drop into had a lot of teenaged freeriders on HT's, they were allowed to hang out and do their own work so they would all tape the new rim next to the old rim to do the swap cuz of $$$

the owner told me someone would find a new urban drop and he would sell alot of rims for awhile

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

the owner told me someone would find a new urban drop and he would sell alot of rims for awhile
    This is hilarious and so true.

What do I grease to fix creaky bars? I should probably pull out the torque wrench and check them but they are pretty tight. Newish pnw bars in an older syntace megaforce stem on the hardtail.

We can start the debate on stem screw prep grease vs loctite 242 medium strength blue.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    What do I grease to fix creaky bars? I should probably pull out the torque wrench and check them but they are pretty tight. Newish pnw bars in an older syntace megaforce stem on the hardtail.

We can start the debate on stem screw prep grease vs loctite 242 medium strength blue.
    Are you 100% sure it's the bars? Front end creaks are like .05% handlebar / stem, 99.5% something else. I'd be looking at the headset, CSU, frame, etc.

The only time I've ever had a creak in the stem / handlebar was when my stem was cracked. If the faceplate bolts were loose enough to creak, I suspect the handlebar would have rotated.

it could be almost anything on the bike, I had a creaking seat post on the the carbon Yeti

I tried everything and couldnt stop it, carbon paste finally stopped the creaking

IME you must use carbon paste on carbon

I have actulay started using it on non carbon parts