Page 118 of 524 FirstFirst ... 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,950 of 13093

Thread: Ask the experts

Bummer. You can try to true to get you by but in the end that hub is done.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I already know the answer, but how fucked am I?

Attachment 350997
    Depends on whether you weigh more or less than 75lbs.

Sorry, that sucks.

I already know the answer, but how fucked am I?

Attachment 350997
    It's kinda tough to tell from the picture how fuckered the spoke seat is. If it's not too bad and you're ok with a ghetto fix, you could maybe slop some JB weld on there and it'd keep the spoke from popping out of its slot again.

But looking at some of the other spokes, it looks like their grasp on the hub might be a bit tenuous as well. Any chance that hub got relaced with a different spoke pattern?

What hub is it? If it's still made, you might be able to rustle up just a hub shell for pretty cheap.

Ask the experts

How about now? 🤣

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1607031272.496947.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	896.5 KB 
ID:	351002

These were the dirt cheap 24h XC Mavics I got for the hardtail. Completely original besides the mods above.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I’m gonna say that wheel is now industrial waste.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I’m gonna say that wheel is now industrial waste.
    I’m gonna agree. $120 brand new for the set and the front is still okay, so not the end of the world other than being mountain bikeless.

How about now?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1607031272.496947.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	896.5 KB 
ID:	351002

These were the dirt cheap 24h XC Mavics I got for the hardtail. Completely original besides the mods above.
    That's the same wheel? What the fuck did you hit?

Outstanding work.

almost fully completely unless you could figure out a way to anchor that spoke end with a washer or sft
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Ok, you might just need to dip the whole wheel in JB Weld.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    That's the same wheel? What the fuck did you hit?

Outstanding work.
    Thanks? Yeah, same wheel. I hit a rock really hard. On the plus side, no pinch flat thanks to the insert (though the spoke poked through the tape so I still got a flat).

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Ok, that's an important distinction. I assumed you were giving 20 year ago me current equipment. If he has to ride the old gear I've got a chance going downhill. If I hit one of the right years he's showing up on a full suspension K2 razorback sl team issue. A huge 90mm of travel from the Noleen shock. But we were fearless in our "clean it or bleed" crew, and I can't believe how fast we went down shit on that 23 pound POS. So it'd be close.

Going uphill I'm still fucked.
    I'm pretty sure it was a *good* thing that I spent my 20's riding a rigid bike and a shitty old Trek Y-22. Had I been able to get hold of a modern-type full suspension bike, I'm pretty sure I would have hurt myself... badly.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was a *good* thing that I spent my 20's riding a rigid bike and a shitty old Trek Y-22. Had I been able to get hold of a modern-type full suspension bike, I'm pretty sure I would have hurt myself... badly.
    Thank god that has never happened to me.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Ok, you might just need to dip the whole wheel in JB Weld.
    Gorilla tape.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Thanks? Yeah, same wheel. I hit a rock really hard. On the plus side, no pinch flat thanks to the insert (though the spoke poked through the tape so I still got a flat).
    I mean, people have rebuilt a wheel around an old hub. And they've rebuilt a wheel around an old rim. So why couldn't you rebuild a wheel around some old spokes? Just find the perfect combo of hub and rim that uses that spoke length, lacing pattern, count. Good to go.
    However many are in a shit ton.

For a 24 spoke rear wheel? Lol I hope you are totally kidding

Ritira il tuo sarcasmo metro

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    For a 24 spoke rear wheel? Lol I hope you are totally kidding
    I think it'd need to be a 23 spoke wheel. I'd be worried that one spoke got damaged when it ripped out.

I'll just build a 20 spoke wheel this time. What could go wrong?

That's the second rim I've killed this year, both without damaging the tire or even pinch flatting. The hit that killed the most recent rim hurt my ankles, and it's clearly not the strongest wheel, so probably not a good example, but I do wonder if the insert is somehow related. I barely felt the hit that killed my carbon rim earlier this year.

I've pinch flatted DH tires on my WR1 Agents (without an insert) and the rim shrugged those off, so I'm pretty impressed that you managed to explode one on a curb.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I'm pretty impressed that you managed to explode one on a curb.
    Ouch. Is that a Virginia jab?

That's the second rim I've killed this year, both without damaging the tire or even pinch flatting. The hit that killed the most recent rim hurt my ankles, and it's clearly not the strongest wheel, so probably not a good example, but I do wonder if the insert is somehow related. I barely felt the hit that killed my carbon rim earlier this year.
    If that is your second exploded wheel I would like to politely suggest USING A HIGHER PSI FER CHRISSAKES.

I've been riding with one missing spoke for the last 4-5 rides or so, but I have 31 left. Reminds me I need to decide if I upgrade my cassette or not when I replace the spoke.

Local guy that's a part owner in a wheel / rim company is completely convinced that inserts put more stress on rims and cause them to break over time. His theory is that, while inserts minimize large impacts, they transfer stress from lots and lots of small impacts directly into the rim that fatigues it over time.

Or something like that. I'm skeptical, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I've pinch flatted DH tires on my WR1 Agents (without an insert) and the rim shrugged those off, so I'm pretty impressed that you managed to explode one on a curb.
    I think it was just perfectly badly timed due to my exceptional hack skillz, and landed 1 rim edge slightly before the other due to the slope. Not exceptionally fat (170 lbs), or crazy low pressure (22 psi), and had CC XC in it. It also didn't fail catastrophically when it did, just crunch a bit of splintering. It held pressure until like 6 hours later when I got around to stripping the tire and insert off for warranty photos.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Local guy that's a part owner in a wheel / rim company is completely convinced that inserts put more stress on rims and cause them to break over time. His theory is that, while inserts minimize large impacts, they transfer stress from lots and lots of small impacts directly into the rim that fatigues it over time.

Or something like that. I'm skeptical, but who knows.
    That's interesting. On a hit where a tire without an insert would have bottomed onto the rim, the insert likely offers protection. But on smaller hits, the tire is more likely to bottom out onto the insert, which then transfers load to the rim, whereas it may have just kept just compressing the tire if the tire was only filled with air. I need to think about this a bit more.