Page 380 of 524 FirstFirst ... 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 ... LastLast
Results 9,476 to 9,500 of 13088

Thread: Ask the experts

If I never shift the 3x8 on my bar-bike, does that make it an SS ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    I used to have a bike set up like that with no derailleurs or chain tensioner. If I remember correctly you need to have the same number of teeth between both combos front and back. I did it with horizontal dropout and had to undo those every time I wanted to switch between trail and street mode but it would be easier with a chain tensioner. Search "dinglespeed", it was a thing at one time.
    I had a dirt jumper set up as a "dinglespeed". It had horizontal drop outs with a really strong QR. 18 tooth rear cog and 30/22 front chainrings.
    The 30-18 had the axle setup slammed at the very front of the horizontal dropouts and the 22-18 had the axle pulled all the way at the back of the dropouts.
    I had a steep hill to climb to get to town. At the base of the hill I would undo the QR, drop the chain to the 22t and pull the axle as far back as it would go, and get back on and pedal up the hill. At the top of the hill I'd bump open the QR, pull the chain onto the 30t and set the axle to the correct tension and pedal on the flats to town.
    I had it down to less than a minute each change.

With all this talk about moving the rear wheel around to adjust chain length, it's worth mentioning that you should make sure whatever frame you get has a brake mount that is cooperative with that sort of thing.

Not a question, but some info that might help someone out...

I got a digital Fox shock pump as trail day swag some years ago. Its internal battery has finally gone dead, and according to Fox this earlier model does not have a replaceable battery and they recommend tossing it out. But that's bullshit. Crack the casing open and its a standard 2032 battery you can pop out and replace, then glue the case back together.

Just another IFP (inferior Fox product)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20221222_232126512.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	964.5 KB 
ID:	439745

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Attachment 438342

White Industries ENO hub and Dinglespeed 17/19 freewheel.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    this.

i had a surly cross chek setup fixed/free for a while, with the fixed side having a dingle-cog setup. i could spin from my apartment on the road, commute, etc. in the higher, and then once i got to the trails i was willing to try on a fixed cross bike setup, swap to the lower.

it was really dumb. but really fun.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Anyone have commentary on the durability of the RaceFace vault hubs?

i tend to do DT or i9 but there is a cheap used build of Vault hubs to 3zeroMoto rims I’m tempted to try. Hubs give me pause.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    Anyone have commentary on the durability of the RaceFace vault hubs?

i tend to do DT or i9 but there is a cheap used build of Vault hubs to 3zeroMoto rims I’m tempted to try. Hubs give me pause.
    I'm on year 4 on a set of next r wheels with vault hubs. Hubs have been solid - bearings are still smooth, and the pawls rarely miss. Only real downside is that they're definitely one of the slower rolling hubs I've owned. I think raceface opted for better seals at the expense of more drag.

I’ve had no issues with my Vaults. They’re on my Ragley hardtail, less than 4,000 miles fwiw.

I had some Vaults in 2020 where the rear hub shell started creaking. It is a two-piece assembly that is pressed together, which was the source of the noise. Race Face warrantied it, but I sold the bike before I could see if it happened again.

But I’m now on a Turbine SL that I’ve been running for almost a year on my hardtail, and there has been no creaking issue with that one.

You can see if it’s creaking by torquing the cassette with a chain whip, with the wheel removed from the bike.

Thanks for the feedback!

I’m always a bit slow to trust new hubs but sounds like they’re durable enough.

Trying to get wife back on a bike. Decent rider, but has had a couple of proper crashes and is not going fast and/or especially steep/rough. Bike should be both reasonably efficient, fun on flatter / rolling terrain, but still have enough travel and geo to make here feel "safe" in any rougher sections. Price matters as she'll probably ride it 10 times a year, or something like that.

A have a lead on a good price on a well regarded enduro frame, but I think it has more travel and is slacker than she needs. Probably more bike than she needs overall, but most complete 150mm-trail bikes with the geo I'm looking for is probably going to cost more than it's worth with here expected use frequency. The sizing is good.

I'm considering building it up with a 160mm fork and a +0,5 or +1 angleset instead of the 170mm fork. And probably a 57,5 or 60mm stroke shock instead of the 62,5 it's specced with. Hopefully this will make a build that's reasonably fun on rolling terrain, but still with some reserves.
    The only negative geo changes would be a slightly lower BB and stack from the fork, but the BB will be lifted slightly by the steeper fork and I can use a riser or spacers to get it higher. A slightly lower stack would probably be good anyhow for the terrain. Less travel should also eliminate a couple of mm of sag.

Is there any reason to not do this from a technical point of view?

Don't need suggestions for trail bikes etc. Got that alternative covered - and it's absolutely an option, just wondering if this alternative is technically sound. Yes, I'm aware that this is overcomplicating a simple thing, but I'm only able to ski in the weekends - so I have most evenings free to ponder these thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Trying to get wife back on a bike. Decent rider, but has had a couple of proper crashes and is not going fast and/or especially steep/rough. Bike should be both reasonably efficient, fun on flatter / rolling terrain, but still have enough travel and geo to make here feel "safe" in any rougher sections. Price matters as she'll probably ride it 10 times a year, or something like that.

A have a lead on a good price on a well regarded enduro frame, but I think it has more travel and is slacker than she needs. Probably more bike than she needs overall, but most complete 150mm-trail bikes with the geo I'm looking for is probably going to cost more than it's worth with here expected use frequency. The sizing is good.

I'm considering building it up with a 160mm fork and a +0,5 or +1 angleset instead of the 170mm fork. And probably a 57,5 or 60mm stroke shock instead of the 62,5 it's specced with. Hopefully this will make a build that's reasonably fun on rolling terrain, but still with some reserves.
    The only negative geo changes would be a slightly lower BB and stack from the fork, but the BB will be lifted slightly by the steeper fork and I can use a riser or spacers to get it higher. A slightly lower stack would probably be good anyhow for the terrain. Less travel should also eliminate a couple of mm of sag.

Is there any reason to not do this from a technical point of view?

Don't need suggestions for trail bikes etc. Got that alternative covered - and it's absolutely an option, just wondering if this alternative is technically sound. Yes, I'm aware that this is overcomplicating a simple thing, but I'm only able to ski in the weekends - so I have most evenings free to ponder these thing.
    To me, this sounds like she's a great candidate for a 3-4 year old enduro bike with 27.5 wheels. They tend to be a little steeper and a little smaller, but they still have all of the travel and they're new enough that the specs are still modern (and compatible with current standards). And they're cheap.

Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    To me, this sounds like she's a great candidate for a 3-4 year old enduro bike with 27.5 wheels. They tend to be a little steeper and a little smaller, but they still have all of the travel and they're new enough that the specs are still modern (and compatible with current standards). And they're cheap.
    That’s a very good way to describe my intention with the build. And an easier and cheaper solution as well. Been on the lookout for a previous gen Slash or something similar.

Problem is that the market for used bikes in that category/size is very, very small around here. And since I don’t service suspension myself, costs tend to add up

Stubborn shimano HG cassette help?? Swapping wheels over for a buddy and I cannot get this cassette off. Snapped my chain whip ( cheap one) and the thing won’t move. Is the answer simply more leverage ( and higher quality tools)

Cleaned it as best I could, don’t see anything obviously wrong?

Are you unable to remove the lockring or to slide the cassette off of the body? If it's the former, the kind of lockring tool with the guide that fits into the hub and a big ass wrench should do it. If it's the latter, your freehub body is likely notched, on which case you'll need to bang it around a bunch until the cassette cogs release.Name:  keZ79.jpeg
Views: 406
Size:  52.1 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20230115-074008_Amazon Shopping.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	442725
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Can’t get the lock ring off…. I have the right tool, like you posted below and a big wrench, with a chain whip and just couldn’t get it to move at all! Yes I was turning it the right way. I’ve never had a cassette this stubborn.

These 'might' help, combined with a bench vise.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20230115-095440.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	363.5 KB 
ID:	442740
    Last edited by rideit; 01-15-2023 at 11:23 AM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Could drop some pb blaster on the lock ring threads overnight, then a bunch more leverage tomorrow is what I’d do. Have never had that much trouble getting one off myself though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Can’t get the lock ring off…. I have the right tool, like you posted below and a big wrench, with a chain whip and just couldn’t get it to move at all! Yes I was turning it the right way. I’ve never had a cassette this stubborn.
    Chainwhip, lockring tool, very big wrench, a friend and a sledgehammer.

All good advice, thanks fellas! After the new chain whip arrives I will advise

What freehub now? Sploded mine this morning. 11sp, shitmano. On an E fat bike so sees a bit more power through it than an acoustic bike.

I can’t really think of anything stronger than a replacement XT level HG freehub, TBH.
    Maybe a Hadley hub?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I have one on the way, will report ASAP.
    What's the verdict on the buttercups?

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    I put a Zeb Ultimate (with Buttercups) on the ebike I got for Christmas, and while it's not the ideal testing conditions for them, the fork seems to really do a great job of reducing hand fatigue. I can't say how much of that is due to the Buttercups, how much due to the Debonair+ air spring, and how much to the Charger 3 damper, but the new RS Ultimate forks seem legit. The baseline settings from the RS Trailhead app have been pretty spot on for me too, and I'm usually a chronic suspension fiddler.

Before I got my eeb, I logged a full week's riding time (7+ days of 4-6,000 ft vert) on my buddy's, which is the same bike but has a 38 Factory and X2. Compared to the 38, I feel like the '23 Zeb Ultimate has better midstroke support, a smidge more stiffness fore/aft, and much less feedback to your hands (setup on same model bike, same travel, same rider weight, same amount of travel left over). 77 psi on the Zeb vs. 92 psi on the 38, keeping about 10mm travel in reserve. 38 airspring feels more linear, and damping (especially HSC) much lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    I think it's a viable, actual improvement. Simple as hell, but does what it says.