Page 381 of 530 FirstFirst ... 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 ... LastLast
Results 9,501 to 9,525 of 13247

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    What freehub now? Sploded mine this morning. 11sp, shitmano. On an E fat bike so sees a bit more power through it than an acoustic bike.
    Hard to imagine a more bomber hub than a DT350 with 16t in it

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Hard to imagine a more bomber hub than a DT350 with 16t in it
    Is 16t more bomber than the 54t options? Cause if it's not it's definitely worth the minor added cost...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Is 16t more bomber than the 54t options? Cause if it's not it's definitely worth the minor added cost...
    Yes, the larger teeth on a 16T ratchets are burlier, there were initially some issues with the teeth fracturing on 54T ratchets, but DT made an in production change to the steel or treatment process and I have not heard of any issues since.

Aren’t the 54s plastic?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Mine aren't, definitely steel.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Aren’t the 54s plastic?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Nope. They're steel, but with much smaller teeth than the 18t (there's no 16t) as noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I've got 10K miles on a set of 54t, only serviced a few times. 200# kitted and I like to single speed all the things.

Oh yeah it's supposed to be 18t, not 16t.
    I did have an issue with a 54t but it was a knock-off set of ratchets bought on eBay for $4.99. I figured I'd try and see if they worked, they did for a couple weeks then some of the teeth sheared off and the hub was engaging sporadically at best. No issues for another 2500 miles once I bought the official DT 54t ratchets. The eBay seller had some 108t available, should have bought those as well to see how fast I could destroy them.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

The moral to the story is: DT are basically indestructible. Even in the rare event that someone blows up a star ratchet, they usually have the 18t ratchet sitting in their parts drawer. Two minute swap with zero tools or knowledge required and the hub is quite literally good as new. Try doing that with pawls!
    However many are in a shit ton.

^^^ that right there is why DT has become so prevalent.

Haven’t put enough miles yet, but my I9 1:1 hubs seem to be really good bang for buck w great engagement. Haven’t heard too many horror stories of I9 in general so hoping they work for long term. Contrast w Chris King which I’ll never buy another item from then ever again, overpriced, maintenance PITA, with special tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I went to 54t with my DT hub it felt like I switched to an ebike.

Looking to pick up a left crank power meter for my road bike. Found a previous gen 4iiii in the right crank length for a good price (Precision). Anything to look out for/think about with a used power meter? I know the newer Precision 3 has way longer battery life and slightly slimmer profile, but we are talking $325-350CAD used vs. $672 (with tax) new. I'm not a pro by any means just want to know power when on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Looking to pick up a left crank power meter for my road bike. Found a previous gen 4iiii in the right crank length for a good price (Precision). Anything to look out for/think about with a used power meter? I know the newer Precision 3 has way longer battery life and slightly slimmer profile, but we are talking $325-350CAD used vs. $672 (with tax) new. I'm not a pro by any means just want to know power when on the road.
    There's no good way to ensure a used PM won't get all wonky after a few months, and when that happens you won't have any warranty support. It happened to me with a Stages PM. They offered to rebuild it for $200, which would have been like $230 with shipping both ways, so I opted for a new closeout 4iiii for $255. The main reason was the 3y warranty vs only 90 days from Stages.

So you can roll the dice with a used one, but if you can get a decent discount on a new or factory refurbished one with a warranty I'd go that route.

Oh, and you likely already know this but all Shimano road Hollowtech arms are interchangeable, so you don't need to match the model. Ms CE has a 105 arm on her GRX crank, and they claim the offset is different, but if that's true it must only be 1mm bc I couldn't measure it.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    The best option is a Left Side only power meter like Stages, 4iiii etc.
    Make sure there is clearance between the frame and crank arm to fit the power meter module. Most manufacturers have a diagram/directions to measure on the web page. Most gravel bikes designed to handle a wide gravel tire will not clearance to fit a left side only power meter.
    Stages and 4iiii have factory install option, where you mail in your crank arm and they install the power meter. Usually $150 savings over a new model.
    Battery life in my Stages Left Only is more than a full season of use, both outdoor and inside on the trainer.
    I have a few Stages Shimano Left Only listed on Pinkbike:
    -2021 Stages Power Meter, Gen3, 170 Ultegra R8000 for $300
    -2019 Stages Power Meter, Gen2, 170 Ultegra 6800 for $250
    PM me if this length work for you, and I'll guarantee that my used model work.

Buy one of DH's arms.

You should definitely check to be sure it will fit your frame, but I think it's a stretch to say that "most" gravel bikes won't allow it. I have had Stages Shimano arms on 4 different gravel frames. 2 of them fit 45mm tires and one will fit 50s. Maybe DH's super fancy frames have less room for some reason.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

My 2018-era GX 11-speed derailleur is making some noise I can't sort out. The Wipperman Connex 11-speed chain shows not quite to 0.5% on a Pedro's Chain checker, and with the chain removed, both pulleys spin freely without any wobble. I lubed both a while ago when the noise first cropped up, and double-checked that the pulleys were sync'ed with the chain. The hanger is straight, and the B screw is keeping the pulley away from the cogs (just). Per the linked YT video below (you may need to turn up the volume, but it seems awfully loud when in the saddle), when I relieve just a bit of tension from the clutch, it goes quiet. I'm perplexed, and thought I'd ask the experts here before I drop $75 on a new derailleur that may not solve the problem. I need to replace the cable housing, but that seems unrelated. Thoughts?
    https://youtu.be/lB50fhwFQY8
    Last edited by NuMexJoe; 02-04-2023 at 06:32 PM.

Even if you lubed them, the pulleys still could have worn out bearings, especially if they're 4+ years old. Or the pulley teeth could be worn down.

What's the pencil sharpener for?

To sharpen pencils.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    To sharpen pencils.
    Yep, simple as that; to sharpen pencils in my shop.

So I take it worn pulleys would cause noise like that? I've never actually worn out a derailleur. They've usually been mangled in the spokes or grenaded on a rock before they get worn out. But I did read a review that said the GX 11-speed pulleys wear quickly. Thanks, Andeh. Given the cost of replacement pulleys, I'll just order a new derailleur today.

Your LBS *probably* has some pulleys kicking around from an exploderated derailleur, bring some beer.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    There's no good way to ensure a used PM won't get all wonky after a few months, and when that happens you won't have any warranty support. It happened to me with a Stages PM. They offered to rebuild it for $200, which would have been like $230 with shipping both ways, so I opted for a new closeout 4iiii for $255. The main reason was the 3y warranty vs only 90 days from Stages.

So you can roll the dice with a used one, but if you can get a decent discount on a new or factory refurbished one with a warranty I'd go that route.

Oh, and you likely already know this but all Shimano road Hollowtech arms are interchangeable, so you don't need to match the model. Ms CE has a 105 arm on her GRX crank, and they claim the offset is different, but if that's true it must only be 1mm bc I couldn't measure it.
    Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Buy one of DH's arms.

You should definitely check to be sure it will fit your frame, but I think it's a stretch to say that "most" gravel bikes won't allow it. I have had Stages Shimano arms on 4 different gravel frames. 2 of them fit 45mm tires and one will fit 50s. Maybe DH's super fancy frames have less room for some reason.
    Thanks guys, getting the Precision 3 from DH, it will fit with tons of space there's lots of clearance on my bike. Stoked to get a newer model from a trusted mag at a good price, cheers DH!

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    ^^^ that right there is why DT has become so prevalent.

Haven’t put enough miles yet, but my I9 1:1 hubs seem to be really good bang for buck w great engagement. Haven’t heard too many horror stories of I9 in general so hoping they work for long term. Contrast w Chris King which I’ll never buy another item from then ever again, overpriced, maintenance PITA, with special tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not getting the CK hate on this board.
    I've been a CK user for decades. Their hubs are amazingly engineered. The attention to detail on everything they make is incredible.
    Expensive? Yes, but no more than any top level part. Priced a DT240 lately?
    Maintenance? Every couple years you pull them apart, wash them out, spread a little lube, and slide them back together. Hell, the bearings will outlast the cockroaches in nuclear winter.
    Special tools? I suppose but only if you need to do a complete teardown which is rare. I've never had to do one.

All that said, I've switched to I9's system wheels. Not due to any CK negativity, just because I9's alum spoke system makes the most laterally solid wheel I've ever used. Everything else now feels like a noodle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Not getting the CK hate on this board.
    I've been a CK user for decades. Their hubs are amazingly engineered. The attention to detail on everything they make is incredible.
    Expensive? Yes, but no more than any top level part. Priced a DT240 lately?
    Maintenance? Every couple years you pull them apart, wash them out, spread a little lube, and slide them back together. Hell, the bearings will outlast the cockroaches in nuclear winter.
    Special tools? I suppose but only if you need to do a complete teardown which is rare. I've never had to do one.

All that said, I've switched to I9's system wheels. Not due to any CK negativity, just because I9's alum spoke system makes the most laterally solid wheel I've ever used. Everything else now feels like a noodle.
    My CK's come loose every 4th ride or so. The bearing preload adjustment doesn't stay in place. And they've eaten some bearing races (which they warrantied).

They also weigh a substantial amount more than almost every other comparable hub. Which matters because it's unsprung weight.

Given that I've had zero issue with 240's, which are substantially lighter and in the same ballpark for price, I don't see myself ever using CK's again.

Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe View Post
    My 2018-era GX 11-speed derailleur is making some noise I can't sort out. The Wipperman Connex 11-speed chain shows not quite to 0.5% on a Pedro's Chain checker, and with the chain removed, both pulleys spin freely without any wobble. I lubed both a while ago when the noise first cropped up, and double-checked that the pulleys were sync'ed with the chain. The hanger is straight, and the B screw is keeping the pulley away from the cogs (just). Per the linked YT video below (you may need to turn up the volume, but it seems awfully loud when in the saddle), when I relieve just a bit of tension from the clutch, it goes quiet. I'm perplexed, and thought I'd ask the experts here before I drop $75 on a new derailleur that may not solve the problem. I need to replace the cable housing, but that seems unrelated. Thoughts?
    https://youtu.be/lB50fhwFQY8
    Most of this will be Captain Obvious but:
    Does noise change at all when you adjust shift cable tension to each side?
    Did you set B tension with the Sram gage?
    How does the chainring look?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.