Page 314 of 524 FirstFirst ... 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 ... LastLast
Results 7,826 to 7,850 of 13088

Thread: Ask the experts

The aluminum or carbon topstone 4? the aluminum one is, uh... pretty low end across the board. ergo of the advent x shifter seems not great, brake calipers kind of bad, non tubeless wheels. But it's pretty cheap. A standard kona rove with 2x9 at least gets you nicer calipers and tubeless wheels and tires.

Carbon topstone 4 is decent but 10 speed grx not 11 and costs kind of a lot.
    Last edited by jamal; 05-24-2022 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I looked into it last night. No GCN app for use on Roku which sucks. The laptop I could connect to the TV is the laptop I use for Zwift and would be Zwifting while watching. Suppose I could get the right proprietary thunderbolt whatever cord for my new laptop.

Where did you find the discount code for the annual pass?
    I use the app on Apple TV and have a total Apple household, but you can "Chromecast" the App... what ever that means?
    I listen to the Lanterne Rouge Cycling Podcast and they have a link for 25% code off making it only $37.49 for a one time annual payment. ($3.12 a month).

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Experts: can I use Shimano 203/180mm caliper adapters with Hayes Dominion A4 calipers?

The internet suggests "no"...
    I’d be curious to know what you found out in real life. I’ve always assumed adapters are all the same. But I’ve done a lot of stupid shit that I convinced myself would work.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I’d be curious to know what you found out in real life. I’ve always assumed adapters are all the same. But I’ve done a lot of stupid shit that I convinced myself would work.

The comments on the Hayes site seem more definitive... that their brackets are required. I'll probably buy them, but I'm still wondering if I could just shim. Or maybe machine my own brackets if someone could kindly measure the stack height at the posts...

https://hayesbicycle.com/collections...mount-brackets

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I use the app on Apple TV and have a total Apple household, but you can "Chromecast" the App... what ever that means?
    I listen to the Lanterne Rouge Cycling Podcast and they have a link for 25% code off making it only $37.49 for a one time annual payment. ($3.12 a month).
    Thanks for this. Too good of a deal really for the amount of coverage. Watched most of yesterday's stage and watching live now.

Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    watching live now.
    van der Pol is a beast!

And no white socks today, it was forecasted to be wet and cold, so he’s got black socks today…

Ask the experts

Let’s go, MVdP!
    Look at this road, it’s so cool.
    crab in my shoe mouth

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

MVdP just exploded
    crab in my shoe mouth

No Giro spoilers, please. I already have to avoid other sources of info until I can watch the recap in the evening.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

New road bike came with Tektro MD-C550 mechanical brakes. They are frighteningly bad. I am ~220 ish which doesn't help.

Would a better set of brakes make much difference or is this just what to expect from mechanical brakes?

I think really your only option for upgrade at a reasonable price would be the TRP Spyre. I had a set on a CX bike years ago, I'm about 205 and like to go fast, never really felt them to be an issue. The Tektro brakes, if I'm reading this correctly, are compatible with shimano pads, so upgrading pads to a set of metal pads over the resin pads that come stock could help.
    Or, these wacky things from TRP, the HY/RD, mechanical pull, hydraulic caliper. Never used them myself.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

OK I'll try metal pads first and possibly look at the Spyres. Those HY/RD are actually pretty interesting sounding but a bit out of my budget.

Thanks for that info, greatly appreciated!

Anyone using Ride Concepts shoes? I'm interested in a pair and they're on sale at the moment.

How's the width and fit? Do they run wide, big, small, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Anyone using Ride Concepts shoes? I'm interested in a pair and they're on sale at the moment.

How's the width and fit? Do they run wide, big, small, etc?
    I found them slightly narrow for my feet... at least what I've tried on. Five 10s fit perfect so it's just easier to get those for me.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I found them slightly narrow for my feet... at least what I've tried on. Five 10s fit perfect so it's just easier to get those for me.
    Ahh thanks, man. That's just the info I need. I've got a wide-ish foot so looks like RC is a no go.

Specialized 2fos run a bit wider and can be had cheaper than 5.10s. I picked up a pair this spring on eBay new from specialized for $90

I have about 5 rides on new RC Tallacs and really like them. Previously I tried TNTs which I found too stiff and clunky and poor sole grip. The Tallacs are much better. A hair less sticky grip than my Impact Pros but feet stay on the flat pedals. Width is similar in midfoot, maybe a tiny bit narrower at the front, but are still generous. I have flat feet so narrow shoes are a no-go for me. Not sure what model you're looking at, but the Tallac feels like halfway between an Impact Pro and Freerider Pro (sole of an Impact, upper of a Freerider or Trailcross).

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Specialized 2fos run a bit wider and can be had cheaper than 5.10s. I picked up a pair this spring on eBay new from specialized for $90
    Interesting, I tried both 2FO Roost and DH and didn't like either. I felt like both were narrower than 5.10s, and the length sizing is weird (9.3, 9.6, etc.). I normally wear 9.5 and the 9.3 was too short and the 9.6 was too long. The new rubber is good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    OK I'll try metal pads first and possibly look at the Spyres. Those HY/RD are actually pretty interesting sounding but a bit out of my budget.

Thanks for that info, greatly appreciated!
    I have a frankenbuild with a Spyre SLC up front and paul minimoto in the rear and I find it pretty solid. Couldn't go hydraulic as I didn't want mismatched brifters.

I set it up with Jagwire pro compressionless brake housing and an icetech rotor--might not perform as well with the cheaper housings that probably came on the bike.

I've heard some people prefer the Juin Tech M1 to the Hy/Rd and almost went with them but I just didn't see strong advantages from the hybrid systems. The Spyre works plenty well.

The TRP HY/RD hybrid calipers don't actually give you noticeably more power than a good mechanical caliper, nor do you get the lever feel of a hydraulic system. Their main benefit is the pistons automatically adjust their location in the caliper (like any normal hydraulic brake), so you don't have to keep adjusting your pad position when your pads wear like you do with a mechanical brake.

I sold my HY/RD calipers and swapped on Spyres with metal Shimano pads, they work fine.
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Spyres FTW. They function like a dual piston caliper would. They have simple but effective actuation. They are easy to set-up and adjust.

Hy/Rd at best work as well as spires but have a lot of fuckery to set up.

I used to be set on metal pads, but during the great shortage I got some organic amazon pads. I find they work better in many circumstances. I even used the on the MTB. They don't last as long but a few of those a year beat one $$$ set. Maybe I just got lucky.

What to use for cleaning a carbon frame prior to applying invisiframe?

Bike is yt. Half gloss half matte.

Diluted ipa?

Invisi says autoglym big and tar remover... I can't get that in time.

Thx in advance.

I might have already asked this and if so please let me know... good test for early onset dementia

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Dawn dish soap

Also a quick wipe down with rubbing alcohol applied to a microfiber towel has always worked well for me.