Page 289 of 531 FirstFirst ... 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 ... LastLast
Results 7,201 to 7,225 of 13260

Thread: Ask the experts

The original Garmin mount (which I think works for all others) might work. It is just the lockring part that rubber bands to the stem, or top tube with proper length rubbers (o-rings).

Like this: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/g...gaAowaEALw_wcB

New to me Cutthroat - SRAM Rival 22 rear der - medium cage. All literature says 32 tooth max - can I push that up to a 36 without problems? Front rings are already tiny, so I don't think I need it, but a true bailout gear might be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    How are you guys mounting bike computers on MTB with 35mm bars? I don't see any bar mounts that are for that size. Can't do top cap mount because of EDC tool. Have seen some top tube mounts on EWS racers that must be DIY. Want to mount my Bolt to my new bike. Top tube seems like a good spot.
    Wahoo Bolt v2 + K-Edge stem spacer mount with EDC works fine, as long as you've either got a flat top stem or enough stem spacers above to clear the stem. I've used a stick-on top tube mount and don't like them as much since you have to look down more. I'll take a photo in a bit.

Edit: photos
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2309.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1,000.1 KB 
ID:	409333

Name:	IMG_2308.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	886.6 KB 
ID:	409332
    *this is a Bolt v2. It's a bit shorter both behind and in front of the mount point than the v1, so it clears the EDC easily. The v1 blocked the EDC.

I've also got a couple stick-on 76projects top tube mounts (one is used and would need new adhesive) and a 35mm modular handlebar mount (all for Wahoo). I don't need these anymore, happy to unload them for shipping + beer.

Name:	IMG_2310.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	409331

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Wahoo Bolt v2 + K-Edge stem spacer mount with EDC works fine, as long as you've either got a flat top stem or enough stem spacers above to clear the stem. I've used a stick-on top tube mount and don't like them as much since you have to look down more. I'll take a photo in a bit.
    I never thought about the looking down too much thing. Very good point. Please share that photo when you have a chance. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Hey experts - what's the minimum tire clearance you deem acceptable on a mountain bike, from the face of the tread to the nearest part of the frame? (in this case, to the chain stay bridge or seat stay bridge)

I swapped over a new to me wheelset, kept the same tires. Old wheels were i24, new i29 - and though I didn't measure clearance before the swap, the wider rim seems to have allowed the tire to get a little taller too, so clearance is getting tight. There's approx 7-8mm clearance on the seat stay bridge (carbon) and approx 5-6mm on the chain stay bridge (aluminum). It's a Devinci Marshall - everything is carbon except the chain stays, which are aluminum. Tire is a 29x2.3 Maxxis Aggressor.

Nearly all my riding is in dry conditions, almost never mud. I think it'll be OK, but I'm going to re-do the frame saver tape on the bridges to try to get a little more protection there.

Clearance on the sides of the tires is fine. It's just on the face of the tread that it's tight.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Really just depends on your mud situation. I know a few guys who have stuffed 27.5" wheels into 26" frames and forks and it's worked most of the time. Looks precarious, but as long as the wheel turns, why not.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Here are some terrible photos - first one (reasonably focused and lit) is the seat stay bridge. The other two are the chain stay, hard to measure and show the gap there.

if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

As long as you check ispeavinedry.com and heed the warnings before riding there, I think you're GTG.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Thanks guys. I'm definitely going to redo the frame saver tape on those bridges, and try to wrap it around some on the upper side. And avoid mud.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Here are some terrible photos - first one (reasonably focused and lit) is the seat stay bridge. The other two are the chain stay, hard to measure and show the gap there.

Looks fine to me.

Ride it. Check it. If it rubs, you can decide how much you care.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    How are you guys mounting bike computers on MTB with 35mm bars? I don't see any bar mounts that are for that size. Can't do top cap mount because of EDC tool. Have seen some top tube mounts on EWS racers that must be DIY. Want to mount my Bolt to my new bike. Top tube seems like a good spot.
    I’ve just got the little bar mount zip tie thing my Element came with attached on the bar next to the stem. Works fine for me. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4997.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	920.6 KB 
ID:	409432

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Random observation that Specialized announced a "sale" today that includes bikes, equipment, etc.

The only adult bikes that are on sale are E-Bikes and actually seem to both be in stock and have some decent markdowns. I'm not meaning to start a 'complain about E-Bikes' comment chain; asking more because I'm curious.

Does anyone have any theories about why they happen to have ebikes at sale pricing when ever other bike seems to be out of stock? I've seen eBikes fairly consistently in stock at my local shops for some time.

Have we just hit a point where there are lot of ebikes on the market and only so much demand for $7000 models? Are ebike buyers more willing to consider consumer direct brands as they have less brand allegiance? Are ebikes just a little less popular than the industry has anticipated? Or is this just a single one off sale with no broader indication of industry trends?

I think the industry overplayed its hand with mopeds. They thought that everyone would want to get on board with motorized recreation, but between the growing backlash, the cost, and the fact that plenty of people (shockingly!) actually enjoy the challenge of using only their own power to get around, sales have been weaker than they hoped.

I wish they had put those manufacturing resources into making more GRX Di2 and L04C brake pads.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

^^^ agreed with that.

Although the local shop is selling tons of ebikes. Lots of e-road bikes.

If the market has been weak, it’s sure not apparent in the shops selling them near me.

I gotta think the price point is tough with them. I've seen it at local shops, getting stuck with Pivot or Santa Cruz ebikes gathering dust because of their high sticker while Konas and Giants ran out the door. There's way more market for $5-6000 bikes than there is for $8-15,000 bikes. But yea, I'm sure most of the dentists who decided they needed a COVID bike have already bought one.

You can buy one of them chinesium e bikes witth a throttle on-line for 2-3k and they will deliver it to your house, I asked shop bro about them and he said " we don't sell them cuz they are not legal " the electric mopeds are technicaly motor vehicals except they aren't registered & arent insurable. Recently in Vancover a cop wrote 630 $ of tickets to a guy with a scooter looking e-bike which had pedals but you would never use them

I duno where you folks are shopping but shop bro tells me they are up 30% in sales from pre pandemic in spite of limited stock and they sell half a doz > 20k bikes every year

while an enduro bike with a motor is gona be narth of 8 K the people who have the choice to age-out or buy an e bike can afford them

its either that or pickleball
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

$10g ebikes with scram nx and motors that brick regularly, what's not to love?!

This is what I'm wondering about:

I feel like there is a demographic of cyclists who've ridden for a long time, who just like the idea of an eBike and are willing to spend $10K BUT a lot of these people will also be worried about cheap suspension shifters and ETC. So if you're spending 10 might as well get the version with parts you want for 13k.

That leaves the 'older crew who wants to go further' and 'new cycling adoptees' for eBikes. I just not sure when and where the market will be saturated for a given demographic.

Personally, I'd love a pedal assist ecargo bike... and might be shopping for one as a car replacement but my budget for that will be 'cheap but works' instead of 'fancy' as I'm looking for utility. This is the area I'd love to see industry growth but this seems to bit stagnant. A long tail bike from trek of specialized with lower handlebars (not comfort geo) would tickle my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    $10g ebikes with scram nx and motors that brick regularly, what's not to love?!

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    Personally, I'd love a pedal assist ecargo bike... and might be shopping for one as a car replacement but my budget for that will be 'cheap but works' instead of 'fancy' as I'm looking for utility. This is the area I'd love to see industry growth but this seems to bit stagnant. A long tail bike from trek of specialized with lower handlebars (not comfort geo) would tickle my interest.
    yup, pretty wide gulf between cheap (Radpower $2400 cdn) and everything else which seems to be $5000++

if you want that high end E its up at 16K and some guys will drink the koolaid

but e-bike or acoustic there is and has always been a point where the % of performance from a top spec isnt really contributing much if anything, in other words you pay a bunch more and don't really get a like amount of better performance and so the Law Of Diminishing returns has always been a big thing in bike componentry cuz its so easy to upgrade

Chinesium aside even the cheaper spec stuff is performing pretty damn well, i did worry about so i would ask shop bro and he would deadpan yeah its ok, in the last years I went from XT to NX, Fox 36 to a ZEB and IME there wasnt a noticable difference IME

with 85nm of motor on the e-bike the weight doesnt really matter so Double Down on the big fucking tires, aluminium rims are OK,

Lets say 32lbs for any enduro bike, 9lbs of battery, 6lbs of motor its gona be < 50ish lbs anyway you cut it

I think you get more from the overall design of the bike than the next level of derailleur, that and of course

red paint

Add to that, an Ebike is going to chew through drivetrains. So spending your money on cassettes and derailleurs is counterproductive.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

85NM is 4x as much power than what Lance could come up with at his best/most juiciest self so instead of pedaling hard all the time I will actualy back off a little on the power kind of like a motorcycle just to give the drivetrain a break but IME I am able to ride more, I can do twice the laps up the bluff

they do have E specific chains even an E specific fork

12spd NX seemed to shift fine just as well as XT

i think an aluminium frame is fine if you got all that power but the carbon is alwasy nice

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    they do have E specific chains even an E specific fork
    Not so much e-specific, more that the manufactures have identified their parts that will withstand the rigors of an E-bike.
    Example would be that “model 73 chain” will wear too fast, but they have identified that “model 83 chain” performs better, they have labeled existing parts, or modified existing parts(like forks) as e-bike rated.
    So if your spec’ing parts for an E-bike, you should choose the parts the manufacture have identified as “e-bike rated”.

Ya by e-specific i meant a part that could take more abuse