Page 366 of 521 FirstFirst ... 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 ... LastLast
Results 9,126 to 9,150 of 13021

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I picked up a pile of random Yakima stuff, and these were in there. Can anyone tell me what these are? Each piece has a sliding part, to extend or shorten it. Only two roof edge looking clamps.
    Those were to get a full sized rack on a 2 door car. The sliding bars served as an extender to get the rear crossbar further back than the rear of the door. My wife had those on a 2 door mid 2000 hatchback Ford Focus.

Although looking closely those seem a bit different. So who knows?

Those are Chupacabra traps. Very rare.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Ask the experts

etrailer.com is the best online resource for roof racks, bike racks, trailer hitches and receivers.
    They have almost every small part for bike racks and roof racks, their sort function is decent, and you can normally find a generic brand part that is the same as the Thule part for 1/4 the price.
    They have exploded diagrams and parts lists.
    I like their related or recommended part suggestions.

I’ve had great luck buying old Thule bike racks and fixing or modifying them with parts from etrailer.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Those are Chupacabra traps. Very rare.
    Goddammit!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Those were to get a full sized rack on a 2 door car. The sliding bars served as an extender to get the rear crossbar further back than the rear of the door. My wife had those on a 2 door mid 2000 hatchback Ford Focus.

That was my first guess, but I can't tell how they attach to regular Yakima round crossbars - these are rectangular and smaller than Thule rectangular bars. They seem like they are made to slide in usage. I thought they might be some kind of "slide the rack off the side of the car to aid loading" but the roof edge clamp is inline with the sliding part, not perpendicular like a sliding load rack would fit.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post

This is correct. A little more googling, and I found it -- Yakima calls it a "stretch kit" for Q towers.
    https://yakima.com/products/q-stretch-kit

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-...i-eclipse.aspx

I think I have 2 pairs, one pair with the roof mount attachment (the one with the lock housing and the roof edge clip" and one pair without any of the attachments.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    My ‘18 XTR 12 groups (I have two) have outlasted anything I have ever owned, now that I think about it. The derailluers are way more robust than the XT’s, IME.
    x2
    Mrs Roxtar and myself have been on our current XTR groups for 3 years now. I don't even think I've ever had to adjust her shifting since new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbest Known Time View Post
    Any recommendations for a pump that never leaves the car? Points awards for smaller form factor and efficient inflation for 80% MTB tires and 20% high volume gravel tires. Nothing more than 40 PSI. Open to, but skeptical about electric options. Especially if they require a proprietary battery and aren't USB rechargeable.
    Lezyne Micro Drive XL.
    Great tweener pump to keep in the truck.

Name:  Lezyne Micro Drive XL.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  41.0 KB

https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/...p-mfdr-xl-v104
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

PSA. If your bike has big holes in the seatstays and suddenly sounds like it has a rock inside of it, it probably isn't your drivetrain, bearings, or brakes, its probably a fucking rock inside your bike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7366.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	748.8 KB 
ID:	428699

On these mullet frames - specifically the new patrol - what’s happens if you throw a 170 27.5 fork on it?
    The 29” in 160 it’s prescribed for has an ATC 573

The ATC is 567 for zeb 170 27.5
    577 for zeb 180 27.5

How does all that ATC matter? Will bottom bracket get fucked? Reach? STa? HTA?-> obviously on the same chassis changing the travel has the obvious change but just wondering with different chassis and different travel how it all comes out in the wash?

explain it like I’m 10 years old.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    On these mullet frames - specifically the new patrol - what’s happens if you throw a 170 27.5 fork on it?
    The 29” in 160 it’s prescribed for has an ATC 573

The ATC is 567 for zeb 170 27.5
    577 for zeb 180 27.5

How does all that ATC matter? Will bottom bracket get fucked? Reach? STa? HTA?-> obviously on the same chassis changing the travel has the obvious change but just wondering with different chassis and different travel how it all comes out in the wash?

explain it like I’m 10 years old.
    Let's just say you match the ATC exactly. So your fork length isn't changing anything. But you're still putting a smaller wheel on the front, so the front end is going to drop by around 20mm. That'll steepen your headtube angle by about a degree and drop your bottom bracket by 12mm or so. In other words, that bike is going to feel pretty steep and very low (and noticeably longer).

You could theoretically go to much longer travel fork to offset that, but you'd need to go longer than 180. ATC extends things in the plane of the headtube, but the smaller wheel drops your front end 20mm vertically. So to recapture 20mm of height via a longer fork, the fork has to be a lot longer.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    PSA. If your bike has big holes in the seatstays and suddenly sounds like it has a rock inside of it, it probably isn't your drivetrain, bearings, or brakes, its probably a fucking rock inside your bike.
    WTH is that? A cable port without its rubber grommet and cable cause you're running AXS?? Can't be though, so close to a pivot...
    I bet I'd have stripped the entire bike before realizing there's a loose piece of choss in the frame.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Let's just say you match the ATC exactly. So your fork length isn't changing anything. But you're still putting a smaller wheel on the front, so the front end is going to drop by around 20mm. That'll steepen your headtube angle by about a degree and drop your bottom bracket by 12mm or so. In other words, that bike is going to feel pretty steep and very low (and noticeably longer).

You could theoretically go to much longer travel fork to offset that, but you'd need to go longer than 180. ATC extends things in the plane of the headtube, but the smaller wheel drops your front end 20mm vertically. So to recapture 20mm of height via a longer fork, the fork has to be a lot longer.
    Thanks, you just saved me a bunch of time trying to explain that with too many triangles.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

thanks man! after you posted this i found this, perhaps doing it from the high setting would be a bit extreme, but the low setting makes it so the changes seem reasonable enough to do the 170 27.5? (462 reach, 79 sta) or am i missing a key variable?- maybe the bb would be bad?

before modification after modification difference
    Reach 455 mm 467.5 mm +12.5 mm
    Stack 623 mm 613.7 mm -9.3 mm
    TTL 575 mm 576.2 mm +1.2 mm
    Wheelbase 1231 mm 1212.3 mm -18.7 mm
    BB offset -15 mm -23.7 mm -8.7 mm
    Chainstays 434 mm 433.6 mm -0.4 mm
    Head tube angle 63.5 ° 64.7 ° +1.2 °
    STAE 78.8 ° 80 ° +1.2 °
    Seat tube angle actual 70.5 ° 71.7 ° +1.2 °
    Fork length 574 mm 567 mm

this is if done in the high setting

this is if done in the low setting

before after modification difference
    Reach 450 mm 462.6 mm +12.6 mm
    Stack 628 mm 618.8 mm -9.2 mm
    TTL 578 mm 577.8 mm -0.2 mm
    Wheelbase 1233 mm 1214 mm -19 mm
    BB offset -22 mm -30.7 mm -8.7 mm
    Chainstays 436 mm 435.5 mm -0.5 mm
    Head tube angle 63 ° 64.2 ° +1.2 °
    Seat tube angle effective 78.3 ° 79.5 ° +1.2 °
    Seat tube angle actual 70 ° 71.2 ° +1.2 °
    Fork length 574 mm 567 mm -7 mm
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

thanks man! after you posted this i found this, perhaps doing it from the high setting would be a bit extreme, but the low setting makes it so the changes seem reasonable enough to do the 170 27.5? (462 reach, 79 sta) or am i missing a key variable?- maybe the bb would be bad?
    That looks pretty bad to me. BB is dropping ~9mm, which is a lot. Head angle is steepening by 1.2*, which is also a lot. I'd have to really, really want a 27.5 front wheel to put up with those changes. Which ultimately would probably lead me to the conclusion that I should just buy a different bike. But then I would say "hey, wait a second, why am I even doing this? 29" front wheels are awesome." And then I'd leave it the way it is.

That looks pretty bad to me. BB is dropping ~9mm, which is a lot. Head angle is steepening by 1.2*, which is also a lot. I'd have to really, really want a 27.5 front wheel to put up with those changes. Which ultimately would probably lead me to the conclusion that I should just buy a different bike. But then I would say "hey, wait a second, why am I even doing this? 29" front wheels are awesome." And then I'd leave it the way it is.
    HA!. wah wah wah. ok might just go spindrift

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    WTH is that? A cable port without its rubber grommet and cable cause you're running AXS?? Can't be though, so close to a pivot...
    I bet I'd have stripped the entire bike before realizing there's a loose piece of choss in the frame.
    Nope, that is a fucking open-ended Giant seatstay. Chainstays are the same.

I bought a new F'in derailleur because of that rock. Well, the derailleur was mangled and bent back recently and making other noises, so I figured it was the cause.

After yesterday's ride, the noise was so bad that I was convinced my bike was going to fall apart on every ledge I rode off of. In a fit of frustration I pulled the back wheel in the parking lot to check the hanger and hub bearings. I flipped the bike over to get the wheel back on, and heard a sound awfully like a rock inside of a tube. I realized what was going on and didn't actually see it fall out, but the noise is gone. Mrs. Snowaddict thinks its funny. I'm still pissed that I chased this noise for the last two weeks.

^^^ I agree with your wife.

That seems like a really bad design. FTR - my 2018 has no holes in either the seat or chain stays. Is this like the old fashioned "speed holes"?

^^^ I agree with your wife.
    She probably put it in there

Its a 2021 Giant Trance X. I've found another thing to be picky about when I buy my next bike.

I bought a new F'in derailleur because of that rock. Well, the derailleur was mangled and bent back recently and making other noises, so I figured it was the cause.

After yesterday's ride, the noise was so bad that I was convinced my bike was going to fall apart on every ledge I rode off of. In a fit of frustration I pulled the back wheel in the parking lot to check the hanger and hub bearings. I flipped the bike over to get the wheel back on, and heard a sound awfully like a rock inside of a tube. I realized what was going on and didn't actually see it fall out, but the noise is gone. Mrs. Snowaddict thinks its funny. I'm still pissed that I chased this noise for the last two weeks.
    So much anguish over something that will now be fixed with a piece of tape
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

A buddy worked in the Humber car factory in Auz, when the lunch whistle went the line stopped & everybody hung out in his car on the line cuz of how much it had been put together.

when the whistle went to start the line they put all the garbage/ apple cores/ beer bottles in his car and he zapped all the door panels shut
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    A buddy worked in the Humber car factory in Auz, when the lunch whistle went the line stopped & everybody hung out in his car on the line cuz of how much it had been put together.

when the whistle went to start the line they put all the garbage/ apple cores/ beer bottles in his car and he zapped all the door panels shut
    Not surprising, that’s just the car version of drywallers leaving piss bottles and trash in the walls of your new home

Anyone get some time on the new Meta SX? Pink bike says long brute, Reddit says seriously agile.

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Anyone get some time on the new Meta SX? Pink bike says long brute, Reddit says seriously agile.
    I have no idea about that bike, but r/mtb is chock full of overly enthusiastic gapers. I'd give the nod to Kazimer on that one.