Page 154 of 524 FirstFirst ... 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 ... LastLast
Results 3,826 to 3,850 of 13088

Thread: Ask the experts

So past USCF cycling mechanic and past shop owner.

Spray down bike, dawn dishwashing detergent diluted in bucket. Soft bristle brush to scrub down. Freewheel w said brush on cassette/chain/sprockets. Rinse. Blow chain dry w blower attachment on compressor. Drop of lube on each roller, blow into chain w rag under chain.

Next bike. 10 minutes.

You guys are making this rocket dentistry when it’s really not that fucking hard

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    So past USCF cycling mechanic and past shop owner.

Spray down bike, dawn dishwashing detergent diluted in bucket. Soft bristle brush to scrub down. Freewheel w said brush on cassette/chain/sprockets. Rinse. Blow chain dry w blower attachment on compressor. Drop of lube on each roller, blow into chain w rag under chain.

Next bike. 10 minutes.

You guys are making this rocket dentistry when it’s really not that fucking hard

So that is what I do, less the blow dry and I use simplegreen. Is Dawn better...same?

Dawn, actual dawn not the generic is awesome. Cuts grease so well with no residue

I rip the groomed on tele gear

We had a dishwasher but my mom always like Tony orlando and Dawn
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    I was thinking about the wolf tooth adaptor
    Was hoping there was something simple and cheap to convert to cable lever.... Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Dawn is kind of harsh on paint, but not strong enough to be an effective chain degreaser on its own.

I use simple green diluted 50% with water, spray on chain, scrub with a stiff chain cleaner brush. Rinse. Wash rest of bike with car wash soap. Bounce to dry. Towel off bike, use different rag to wipe chain dry ish. Leave in sun to finish drying.

Then immerse entire bike in hot tub cranked to 150* and filled with liquified canning wax.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I just power wash the dirt off the chain. Then take out the seat post and fill the frame with grease. Keeps all the pivots quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    I'd add another ounce and a little bit of glitter. Easier than a retape.
    Well this was certainly a new one for me..
    I pulled out the valve core so I could add some sealant without breaking the bead and.... air did not come out. Put a spoke down through the valve itself, pushed against what I'm assuming was the insert, and air came out (along with a spray of sealant). Let as much air out as I could without making too much of a mess but then when I went to inject more sealant, it wouldn't go in. Didn't have time to investigate further so just cleaned things up, put the valve core back and added some air for now.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post

Then immerse entire bike in hot tub cranked to 150* and filled with liquified canning wax.
    That's a great idea. I'm sure it cuts down on frame scratches and increases the resale value tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Then climb in real quick for the world's most legit pube waxing.

Speaking of poison oak ... and Dawn
    I always have a little 4 oz squeeze tube filled with Dawn either in my shower or in my car on road trips specifically for poison oak. A little bit of dawn plus washcloth and a lot of vigorous scrubbing - zero PO rash.

Just dripping some on a wet washcloth at the back of the car/truck, then surface rinsing with a squeeze water bottle or bladder and a clean washcloth after a ride is really damn effective.

But I’m sure soaking my body in a hot tub full of wax would prevent the need to ever wipe off the urishiol...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

So, if I'm soaking with my bike in a hot tub full of wax to lube stuff, protect the paint, remove unwanted hair, and prevent a poison ivy/oak rash, is my chain on the bike soaking in the wax, is it in the pot of queso, or is it in the chocolate fountain?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Not to carry on but: what is a normal ratio of bike riding : bike maintenance? How many days a week, and for how long, are you riding?

These convos make me think a rigid singlespeed is something I want to have. I don't mind occasionally lubing a chain but the idea of a needing cleaning so thorough it requires partially disassembling my bike every 50-60 miles, which for me could be every week, is not very appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    Not to carry on but: what is a normal ratio of bike riding : bike maintenance? How many days a week, and for how long, are you riding?

These convos make me think a rigid singlespeed is something I want to have. I don't mind occasionally lubing a chain but the idea of a needing cleaning so thorough it requires partially disassembling my bike every 50-60 miles, which for me could be every week, is not very appealing.
    Changes dramatically based on what kind of dirt you are riding on and how much moisture you are riding in. Over the years I have reduced and reduced down to what I consider the bare minimum. I do the dawn and hose thing when it gets really bad - it rarely gets that bad. I rarely if ever take the chain off anymore to clean it. I lube things that creak, and lube the chain liberally with progold prolink every ride. I bleed things only when they aren't working right.

All in all, I spend very little time on maintenance and we've got a fleet of bikes, of which 7-8 get quite a bit of use. That's why I cut down so much.

I actually like wrenching but when I had kids and then those kids started riding a lot, it got too much to be anal about it. I've mentioned it before, but I once lost a Chris King front mtb wheel when my kids were little and I wasn't sleeping very much, and I responded by riding my cross bike instead of my mtn bike for a year cause I didn't have time to build a new wheel. So I'm pretty committed to lowering wrenching time when it matters to me.

You are in a similar climate to me. Get a lube like progold and keep your chain swimming it. Other than that, never wash your bike unless you have a rare ride in mud. When things stop working right fix them. Bleed things now and then. You'll be fine.

Or tell me you need a favor and I'll make my son go over to your house and clean your bike. I just bought him a new ride as an xmas present. He owes me. Plus he owes you for telling us about that trail...

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Changes dramatically based on what kind of dirt you are riding on and how much moisture you are riding in. Over the years I have reduced and reduced down to what I consider the bare minimum. I do the dawn and hose thing when it gets really bad - it rarely gets that bad. I rarely if ever take the chain off anymore to clean it. I lube things that creak, and lube the chain liberally with progold prolink every ride. I bleed things only when they aren't working right.

All in all, I spend very little time on maintenance and we've got a fleet of bikes, of which 7-8 get quite a bit of use. That's why I cut down so much.

I actually like wrenching but when I had kids and then those kids started riding a lot, it got too much to be anal about it. I've mentioned it before, but I once lost a Chris King front mtb wheel when my kids were little and I wasn't sleeping very much, and I responded by riding my cross bike instead of my mtn bike for a year cause I didn't have time to build a new wheel. So I'm pretty committed to lowering wrenching time when it matters to me.

You are in a similar climate to me. Get a lube like progold and keep your chain swimming it. Other than that, never wash your bike unless you have a rare ride in mud. When things stop working right fix them. Bleed things now and then. You'll be fine.

Or tell me you need a favor and I'll make my son go over to your house and clean your bike. I just bought him a new ride as an xmas present. He owes me. Plus he owes you for telling us about that trail...
    Yup. Dry climates are much easier to deal with. My normal routine is chain lube every couple rides and wipe dust off suspension/dropper dust seals with a rag when I can remember. Brake bleeds when they need it, buy a chain checker and replace your chain when it tells you to. A good once over- checking bolts, etc. while having a beer once in a while is a good habit to get in.

Usually pay a shop to do fork/shock service annually or so.

Totally depends on conditions. If its not muddy or dusty you can go hundreds of miles without needing to touch your bike. The dust we get in SLC summers requires at least a quick wipe down of the chain after most rides.

Personally: 3 rides/week, about 2 hours each on average. I never fully disassemble the drivetrain. It gets drip lube before most rides, and washed about once every week or two (mostly just for the look of a clean bike). The Muc-Off I use for bike wash seems to do an adequate job of getting gunk off the cassette, chain, and jockey wheels. I actually follow suspension service intervals, converted from hours to miles based on my typical rides, which works out to be about 700 miles. Most of my riding buddies (even those who ride every day) are washing at a similar rate, but tend to only do suspension every year, or worse. The high end SRAM drivetrains last longer than I keep a bike.

ah alright. that’s much more reasonable. and EWG i may take you up on that one of these days but first I need my new bike to get here... no point polishing the old turd lol. I did a fair amount of mud riding this fall, but won't do it again... not worth it, when it's muddy in the future I'll just ride on the road. spraying the pink bike cleaner stuff + hose off + chain lube has been my most intense cleaning regimen, and I probably won't change that...

for the Squirt using dentists who can't read, use it after the ride

so the product can dry in the chain before the next ride

and before water can wash the wax suspended in water off the chain
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    Well this was certainly a new one for me..
    I pulled out the valve core so I could add some sealant without breaking the bead and.... air did not come out. Put a spoke down through the valve itself, pushed against what I'm assuming was the insert, and air came out (along with a spray of sealant). Let as much air out as I could without making too much of a mess but then when I went to inject more sealant, it wouldn't go in. Didn't have time to investigate further so just cleaned things up, put the valve core back and added some air for now.
    It sounds like you're not using insert compatible valves. Get some of the Cushcore valves and it'll solve your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    People, seriously...
    I realize listening (in this case reading) is a lost art but my God, did any of you bother to read the posts you're commenting on?

Once more. This time please, pretty please with sugar on top, read the fuckin post.

An accepted part of drip lubing your chain is the need to clean it occasionally. Once a month or so. This act has been considered basic maintenance since the invention of the pedal. A standard way to do this, as mentioned on this forum many times (without howls of derision) is to remove the chain, soak it in some solvent, and then blow it out and replace/relube.

If you think this practice is over the top, anal retentive, try it once. What you'll find is the solvent being black as night and filled with grit. This is the shit that was in the inner working of your chain.
    For those of you still reading, this grit is a bad thing.
    That's why cleaning your chain has always been an accepted part of basic maintenance. It's not anal-retentive, it's just a best practice.
    Toast, you say you're getting 2000 miles out of your driveline without ever cleaning it. OK, I believe you. (I'm not anal enough to count my mileage) Modern manufacturing is pretty amazing, better processes+better tolerances+better materials=better parts. However, perhaps with better maintenance you could be getting 3000 miles.
    When a modern, top end, driveline cost north of $600, this once a month job might be worth it.

OK, the main part.

My entire point to the whole hot waxing thing is that the time argument doesn't fly. Hot waxing eliminates the need for the above cleaning process because it fills the rollers with lube and seals the chain from the elements. Even after a dusty or muddy ride, a 10 second rinse with the hose and your chain is spotless.

IF, repeat, IF you do the above cleaning procedure say, once a month, and drip lube on every 2-3 rides, you're spending more time on your chain than I am with hot waxing.

The actual waxing process takes essentially zero time; turn on the crockpot, drop in the chain, go about your business. Pull it out in 20 minute or so. Done.
    The once a month chain changing will be done with either method.

Horse is (hopefully) now nothing but grit in the bottom of your chain cleaning bottle.
    Instructions unclear. Queso is now seeping out of my bottom bracket.

Put a nacho drip pan under it.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Instructions unclear. Queso is now seeping out of my bottom bracket.
    You didn't use sealant in your BB? Rookie queso move.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    You didn't use sealant in your BB? Rookie queso move.
    My digestive tract had led me to believe that queso was self sealing.