Page 165 of 524 FirstFirst ... 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 ... LastLast
Results 4,101 to 4,125 of 13093

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    I was really hoping you would chime in with your perpetuem and heed addictions.
    Perpetuem is the smuttiest of the overpriced drink mixes. I'm pretty sure the Hammer marketing department came up with that name during some sort of all night coke fueled orgy.

yeah baby I can go all night with that ^^ stuff
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

This will ‘work’ for a bike bag, but won’t be nearly as protective as a fancy one. I would still wrap every tube if I used one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Aophire-Foldi...s%2C244&sr=8-6
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

^^^ I think I'd rather just use a cardboard bike box. At least then there's some nominal level of structural support around the bike.

Exactly, I think a bike box can be made more secure. And really only a tiny bit more of a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    This is a derail from biking nutrition but my FIL is doing a road bike trip in NY this summer and needs some sort of bike bag to check his bike on his flight across the country.. What do folks recommend for an affordable bike bag? He's not super mechanically inclined so I think that the more his bike can stay together the better.
    It's more of a hassle, but you can rent a hard sided bike box: https://dialedcyclinglab.com/service...l-case-rental/. Might mean a visit to a mechanic to get it packed and then another visit to reassemble though, so gotta factor that in. I feel like checking a boxed bike is a roll of the dice, airlines seem to enjoy laying them on their sides and piling luggage on them.

I got my RS Super Deluxe Ultimate shock serviced last week, went to set the sag last night and the valve is leaking air. I put pressure in the shock anyway, compress it and half the psi is gone. This is hopefully a fuck up by the shop and not another part that needs to be replaced.

For those who have rebuilt a shock like this, is a leaky valve an easy thing to fix or is my bike going to sit at the shop for another week?

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I got my RS Super Deluxe Ultimate shock serviced last week, went to set the sag last night and the valve is leaking air. I put pressure in the shock anyway, compress it and half the psi is gone. This is hopefully a fuck up by the shop and not another part that needs to be replaced.

For those who have rebuilt a shock like this, is a leaky valve an easy thing to fix or is my bike going to sit at the shop for another week?
    Super easy fix. New valve core = a couple bucks and 20 seconds of work. Might not even need a new core - there could just be something gumming it up that can be cleaned out.

What is the 2nd small crush washer for in fox seal kits? I replaced the seals in my 36 last night in prep for selling a bike, it's obvious where the 1 big and 1 small crush washer go when putting things back together but I had a 2nd small crush washer left over.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    What is the 2nd small crush washer for in fox seal kits? I replaced the seals in my 36 last night in prep for selling a bike, it's obvious where the 1 big and 1 small crush washer go when putting things back together but I had a 2nd small crush washer left over.
    That's the one you put on your work bench in the "I'm not sure where this goes but I'm gonna keep it just in case I end up needing it" pile.

Then in a year or two you pick it up, ask yourself what the fuck it even goes to, decide it's probably some piece of a lawnmower carburetor that you don't even own anymore, and then throw it away.

I'm so advanced! Already threw it away. I was a little worried that I'd be fishing through the trash to recover it but thanks for confirming that is is not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    This is a derail from biking nutrition but my FIL is doing a road bike trip in NY this summer and needs some sort of bike bag to check his bike on his flight across the country.. What do folks recommend for an affordable bike bag? He's not super mechanically inclined so I think that the more his bike can stay together the better.
    depending on the brand when you unpack a brand new bike its usually almost all put togetehr,

straighten the bars/ put the front wheel on & possibly the pedals,

so if he isnt that good on the wrenches a bike box will keep the bike more together and it should be free
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Forks without rebound adjustment take two of the small crush washers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Forks without rebound adjustment take two of the small crush washers.
    Get out of here with your facts!

Thanks though, good to know.

Traveling with a bike is a hassle and it’s expensive. Can be worth it, but weigh all the pluses & minuses.
    -Best plan: Drop it off at your LBS, have them send it to another LBS with Bike Flights. Destination LBS rebuilds and tunes. They also hold onto the box, which is otherwise a big hassle.
    -PM me if you want the long version of flying with a bike. There’s a lot to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Has anyone ever successfully repaired an SPD pedal that has lost it’s tensioning hardware?
    Just curious if I could re-install the tensioning mechanism, but I am not sure how I would ‘pre-load’ the spring. Or maybe it’s not that complicated?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17531811-79FF-402B-A690-BD8309E71600.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	531.9 KB 
ID:	371424

Correct one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43FFFEC8-C3C2-4481-9026-66F96F48284F.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	711.8 KB 
ID:	371425

Shit no. They cost $45 to replace. SPD are disposable. I used to try to fix them with spare parts but it is a waste of time. I regularly keep some new pedals in the tool box. Bonus is a new set of cleats comes with them. Downside is they were $35 a year ago or so. Buying XT or XTR level is a scam. The bearings fall apart just as quickly.

They are $200 for XTR, it’s worth a shot. I love how broken in these are.
    I have had them since 2005.
    These have been freakin’ bomber, as evidenced by the wear.
    Battle axes.

Are the new Shimano XT brake rotors I just ordered going to come with the six mounting screws? Or is that considered part of the hub. These will be going on a new set of wheels with DT 350 hubs but they didn't come with screws.

Screws and the washer thingy come with rotors.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    They are $200 for XTR, it’s worth a shot. I love how broken in these are.
    I have had them since 2005.
    These have been freakin’ bomber, as evidenced by the wear.
    Battle axes.
    Marginally relevant anecdote: I've rebuilt plenty of Times. Not a big deal at all, if you have the appropriate parts. The springs don't have much tension on them when they're at rest, so it's not difficult. Extra easy on ones with a tension adjustment.

No idea if any of that applies to shimanos.

Anyone have feedback on the Garmin 530?

I'm still on the old 500, was going to get the Wahoo Roam, but read the reviews at DC Rainmaker and the 530 seems to be a better product for $100 cheaper.

When I buy a new one, I assume that the firmware gets updated when I initialize out of the box, right? Do I need to worry about the stock on the dealers shelf being stale in anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Anyone have feedback on the Garmin 530?

I'm still on the old 500, was going to get the Wahoo Roam, but read the reviews at DC Rainmaker and the 530 seems to be a better product for $100 cheaper.

When I buy a new one, I assume that the firmware gets updated when I initialize out of the box, right? Do I need to worry about the stock on the dealers shelf being stale in anyway?
    I've had one for about a year and a half. It's got wifi & bluetooth, so you set it up via your phone and it connects on its own after that to your home wifi and grabs firmware updates that way. The 530 generally is more accurate than my phones (Pixel 3 then iPhone SE), just eyeballing the Strava tracks. I ride with gloves, so am glad I got it over a touchscreen for the buttons. After about a year, I had an issue where my screen died but the unit was still alive. Garmin warrantied it without any hassle. My biggest complaint is that the LiveTrack / Strava Beacon seem kind of spotty. My wife complains that more often than not, my track will go for about a block from my house then stop and never update again. I can't pin down why it seems so flaky.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Marginally relevant anecdote: I've rebuilt plenty of Times. Not a big deal at all, if you have the appropriate parts. The springs don't have much tension on them when they're at rest, so it's not difficult. Extra easy on ones with a tension adjustment.

No idea if any of that applies to shimanos.
    That's funny - I was gonna write the same thing. Which is maybe why I've stuck with Time all these years.

The second small crush washer is for Rhythm level 36’s. They use two 10mm foot nuts while the nicer stuff has one 10mm and one 15mm foot nut.