Page 251 of 524 FirstFirst ... 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 ... LastLast
Results 6,251 to 6,275 of 13088

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    velotoze have been a game changer for me for winter riding. wool stocks with velotoze. I did the liege Bastogne Liege in the snow with no issues a few years back.
    Well...
    Bring out the gimp.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Going to the TSN? I can’t help you on bag weights, but do whatever you can to eat at the taco stand called EL Lechoncito de Oro, get the Chicharrón tacos with the spicy green sauce. I don’t think they set up till about 9pm. Report back.
    Yes, TSN and good to know. Will find that stand.

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post

Grease the threads and the nut insert where it goes into the rim. Immediately stopped the valve air leak and confirmed w some water on the valve. Previous attempts to fix were generally involving a ton of force and the Stan’s shake to get it to seal in that odd spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I also just started doing this, and it's been working well for me, especially since I had a weird number of leaks near the valve this summer. That said, I feel like there must be some reason nobody ever told me to do this before? The grease is probably reacting with Stans to give me herpes or something.

Ok, so I know the answer is: go to the ortho....but I'm gonna be a dummy for now.

I got high sided at the bike park a couple weeks ago and landed hard on my right shoulder while hand still on the bar or at my side. Happened so fast I didn't even have a chance to try to brace myself.

It hurt but I rode the rest of the day and have ridden since.

Now I can no longer sleep on my right side....I haven't been able to sleep on my left side for over 10 years because of shoulder separation.

Pain at the top outside of the shoulder near end of collarbone. Popping sometimes too when I lift or move my shoulder. Kinda like it's crunchy in there.

AC joint fucked up? Probably hasn't helped that I've been working with my arms overhead re-texturing the ceilings in a condo.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Ok, so I know the answer is: go to the ortho....but I'm gonna be a dummy for now.

I got high sided at the bike park a couple weeks ago and landed hard on my right shoulder while hand still on the bar or at my side. Happened so fast I didn't even have a chance to try to brace myself.

Now I can no longer sleep on my right side....I haven't been able to sleep on my left side for over 10 years because of shoulder separation.

Pain at the top outside of the shoulder near end of collarbone. Popping sometimes too when I lift or move my shoulder. Kinda like it's crunchy in there.

AC joint fucked up? Probably hasn't helped that I've been working with my arms overhead re-texturing the ceilings in a condo.

Def sounds like AC separation. When I did that about 15 years ago they basically told me to walk it off but I think they like to do surgery much more often now. Mine gradually got better and only bothers me when I'm doing a lot of overhead work.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Ya sounds like ac seperation. Did minr last spring. Rested for a week, road work for a couple weeks then careful on the dirt for awhile until i forgot about it. Usually it'll swell and youll have a bump there for quite a few months. Hopefully it just heals. I'd give it some time but you def dont want to do it again until its pain free and its tightened up so you dont have the grinding/snapping . Reinjury in most cases is surgery. Thats what Greg Minnaar did at the end of the season to miss the mt snow wc. Good sign you were able to ride after. I wasnt and mine healed well

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Speaking of bike wear, my buddy who works at shop showed me these "mtb dungarees" that his shop is stocking. The POC rep said they've sold one pair in the Northeast so far. I honestly thought they were a joke at first but they're very real.

https://na.pocsports.com/products/co...medium=organic

I think they're absolutely absurd looking and will be keeping my eye out for a pair being worn in the wild.
    They look perfect for over my sides. You didn't see the EWS last weekend.

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    The grease is probably reacting with Stans to give me herpes or something.
    Too late for me, save yourselves

Whiteroom - Definitely a low-grade AC separation. I'd say there's no reason to see an ortho, anything less than grade 3 doesn't get operated on and 3+ is visually obvious. See a physio, or even just find a home rehab program through Google. I rehab'ed a grade 2 back to 100% with one physio visit and all the rest at home. It's not complicated, the two cruxes are doing it every day and not pushing too hard too fast.

Definitely stop doing anything loaded overhead immediately. Riding is OK as long as you don't push it, and don't crash, obviously. If you do the rehab you'll feel pretty good in 4-6 weeks, but 100% is 12-14 weeks for a grade 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    It's not complicated, the two cruxes are doing it every day and not pushing too hard too fast.
    The crux with any rehab!

Riding is OK as long as you don't push it, and don't crash
    Alternatively, Send the F* out of it and either win or crash trying; then get the surgery. Either way you come out on top...

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    <snip>
    Alternatively, Send the F* out of it and either win or crash trying; then get the surgery. Either way you come out on top...
    I suspect this is the route that WG will go.

Could be a few different things
    AC
    Bone Bruise
    Fracture
    Rotator Cuff tear/strain
    etc.

I fell hard on a front wheel slide out at high speed last year and had a fracture at the tuberosity and strained my rotator cuff... took a lot of PT and a long time get close to back to 'normal'
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Those dungarees look fucking dope. Sorry not sorry.
    Check out Ripton.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

2 weeks out on a stage 1 AC, finally feeling good, still sore when trying some motions, etc. got some bands, time to youtube some routines to get this back to 100%.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Luckily I have access to a rehab/gym through sponsorship. Gonna see what my coach thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Sorels and flat pedals.
    That’s more like single digits for me.
    Lake Mxz303’s down to about 10.
    This am it was 37 and I just wore my regular FO’s.

Experts....

I'm trying to justify NOT buying a short-travel 29er (Spur, Ranger, Rocky Element, etc.), and instead doing tire-jiu-jitsu to put lighter and more pedally tires on my very squishy Transition Patrol (27.5" wheels, big travel bike, Fox 38 up front, coil shock Storia out back).

Purpose would be longer (30-75 mile rides) where I want to lug less. Second purpose, which probably calls for completely different tires: enduro racing on a less technical track, like Ashland.

Riding primarily in Tahoe, so rocky, dusty, technical, fair amount of vert. Almost no wet (unless it's snow).

Currently running:
    Front: 2.5WT DHF, MaxxGrip, Double Down casing. Catalog weight is 1160g. on Bontrager Line Pro 30s. 790g per catalog. TOTAL WEIGHT: 1950g.
    Rear: 2.4WT DHRII, MaxxTerra, Double Down casing (1102g) with Huck Norris DH (102g). Line Pro 30s: 920g. TOTAL WEIGHT: 2104g. [excl. cassette]

I happen to have a back-up wheel set (Flow MK3), so I'm thinking of mounting some lighter and more pedal-oriented tires. Flow MK3 weighs 836g (front) and 958g (rear), so weight isn't that different from the Line Pros, surprisingly.

My questions:

1) What tires would you recommend for a more trail (almost "XC") setup for this application? I know Maxxis, so primarily interested in those recs.
    Thinking of Exo+ (or Exo) with MaxxTerra

Rear: Rekon? There's a 2.4WT. Even the MaxxTerra weights only 760g - that's almost a pound light that the DHRIIs! Rear wheel TOTAL WEIGHT would be 1,718g. That's 19% less rotational weight than my current setup.
    Front: no idea. DHF Exo version is 960g, so 200g lighter. Any suggestions??? Help.

2) How much increased efficiency would I get in my bike simply by changing tires? Any wager on improved efficiency? Is my Patrol going to transbikerify into a Spur??

3) Why am I navel-gazing about this crap instead of buying a Spur or Element? Because I watched too much Instatube, and I just bought a van. Damnit fuck. Your vibes and condolences appreciated.
    sproing!

Might as well try it- faster, lighter tires make a huge difference. I love how xc tires roll, and go back and forth on my hei hei (120mm f/r). So it goes from something I can race on to a pretty decent trail bike. For spring xc season it's been vittoria barzo/mezcal.

Right now it has a dhf and aggressor, which definitely don't pedal as well but going down is night and day especially since the vittorias were worn out.

Next year for trail tires I might try those new vittoria syerras or 2.4 dissector/rekon. I didn't particularly like 2.25 rekons that came on my bike but the 2.4 has bigger knobs and comes in exo+ and seems like it would go well with the dissector. Should be, lighter, faster, and higher volume than the dhf/aggressor.

For 75miles, there is no way in hell I'd be running anything as sticky as MaxTerra, that's like riding in quicksand IMO.

Maxxis would say Ardent Race or Rekon up front and Ikon out back if you're really going for efficiency. I'm a huge fan of the graphine Mezcal for long/fast miles. Did that on rear with an Ardent Race which I'm a fan of up-front. Also Exo would be more in line with that kind of mileage, but you liekly have enough sharp rocks to go Exo+. Dissector Rekon would be a bit more trail vs XC oriented.

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    For 75miles, there is no way in hell I'd be running anything as sticky as MaxTerra, that's like riding in quicksand IMO.
    Confusing MaxxTerra with MaxxGrip?

Rekon/Ikon on a Patrol running a 38/Storia feels beyond silly. I'd probably run Dissector/Dissector, 3C/EXO up front (787 g) and 3C/EXO+ rear (877 g), or the 3C/EXO F/R if you're feeling lucky and insist on counting every gram. Rekon rear doesn't seem to have much tangible benefit over the Dissector; the catalog lists the 27.5 2.4WT 3C/EXO flavor as 830 g not 760 g and it doesn't look like it should roll that much faster.

Ask the experts

Oh yep, was thinking maxxgrip….

And yes running something super XC on this bike is pretty silly, but he asked about efficiency and that’s what he’s getting from two XC racers/former from Jamal and I.

Ask the experts

Dissector front, Ardent Race rear? Big days have big descents. Anything too XC is going to take the fun out of that bike.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Just going to leave this here to muddy the waters:
    https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/e...76/setup,44714

^^ 404