Page 355 of 531 FirstFirst ... 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 ... LastLast
Results 8,851 to 8,875 of 13255

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Ok Time guys: Just got my Special 8s installed. I put the pins in with minimum depth and they are nowhere close to the sole of the shoe. So what's the point? To give grip when struggling to clip in?

I assume you are all running the cleats in the 17 degree setting?
    Yeah, cleats at 17. For the pins, I guess it depends on your shoes and your preferences, but personally I don't like the pins to engage at all while I'm clipped in. The shoe gets hung up on them when trying to unclip. So yeah, I only really use the pins when unclipped on the pedal (so, rarely).

Anybody have old clip on aero bars laying around? Need more positions of boredom on my trainer.

Quill stem with drop bars, so whatever would fit that. Don’t need to be nice, would be nice if they’re cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Yeah, cleats at 17. For the pins, I guess it depends on your shoes and your preferences, but personally I don't like the pins to engage at all while I'm clipped in. The shoe gets hung up on them when trying to unclip. So yeah, I only really use the pins when unclipped on the pedal (so, rarely).
    This.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    I keep getting my feet blown off the pedals on flats. Have been riding flats for ever, never clips.
    I have brand new 5'10 Free rider pros and fairly fresh Chromag Dagga's. I'm also on a fairly new (full summer on it) Bronson.
    I've never really expereinced this before, like blowing off on easy blue tech trails, and sometimes even on climb trails it just slips off. I replaced my old freerider pros cos they were sliding around and were pretty punched.
    Trying to figure out if its the pin placement on the pedals, my shitty riding, the shoes, the bike. I just remember getting new 5'10s and barely being able to move my foot on the pedal, to the point it was sketchy. Definitely not the case now.
    Alright bring this back up. Appreciate the responses. I took out a pair of my old Freerider Pro's, complete with holes in the sole and its night and day. Really feel like you sink into the pedals, didnt blow a pedal and even found that when i put my foot on at a questionable drop in spot, it was incredibly difficult to move around.
    Mine arent the primeblue ones you guys were talking about, but they have almost indentical layout. https://www.adidas.ca/en/five-ten-fr...es/FW2823.html they suck

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Alright bring this back up. Appreciate the responses. I took out a pair of my old Freerider Pro's, complete with holes in the sole and its night and day. Really feel like you sink into the pedals, didnt blow a pedal and even found that when i put my foot on at a questionable drop in spot, it was incredibly difficult to move around.
    Mine arent the primeblue ones you guys were talking about, but they have almost indentical layout. https://www.adidas.ca/en/five-ten-fr...es/FW2823.html they suck
    So it's the Stealth S1 rubber that sucks? What was the rubber on the old 5-10's?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    So it's the Stealth S1 rubber that sucks? What was the rubber on the old 5-10's?
    I dunno whether my pair just suck, but they are significantly harder feel to the rubber. Like a noticeably harder durometer. Not sure what the old stuff was but online it appears even the impact pros use S1 now too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Awesome, that will be fine. Won’t be building till the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I have a Rockshox dropper, bleed kit and 1x lever you can have for beer + shipping. Still works well just started to get sponge. Never bled it, just took it off and replaced it. PM me if interested.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

DT Swiss special grease.

What is the equivalent? I’m asking because I’ve never used it before. In my bike box I have standard grease from Philwood and park and slick honey.
    Thanks

Am I a candidate for a Push ACS3 conversion? I have a Fox 36 w/grip2. Undeniably the best fork I've ever had, but even with lots of tweaking I don't get quite the small bump compliance I'd like. I don't huck, so the most strain I put on the fork is going fast through rough, rocky sections. I feel like if I go any softer, I get too much brake dive and dive in corners, but I still end every ride with an inch and a half of travel I didn't use. Not sure I'm unhappy enough to commit to the $400 price, but I am intrigued.

I think you want something like a Secus or DSD Runt. You're looking to tune the mid-stroke and ramp up to give you the support you want, while running damping more open for small bump. Damping isn't position sensitive, so you've got to attack it through the air spring.

What's the best tool to cut/grind off a front derailleur cable stop off a steel frame? I'm restoring an old frame and want to clean it up a bit. Would an angle die grinder that hooks up to a compressor do the job or use a larger angle grinder? Kind of a noob when it comes to this kinda thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I think you want something like a Secus or DSD Runt. You're looking to tune the mid-stroke and ramp up to give you the support you want, while running damping more open for small bump. Damping isn't position sensitive, so you've got to attack it through the air spring.
    Ah, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    What's the best tool to cut/grind off a front derailleur cable stop off a steel frame? I'm restoring an old frame and want to clean it up a bit. Would an angle die grinder that hooks up to a compressor do the job or use a larger angle grinder? Kind of a noob when it comes to this kinda thing.
    Doesn't really matter what you use for the rough cut. You'll want something like a dremel to clean the area up though. And you'll want to spend a while sanding it to really get it smooth. Your biggest concern should be not taking off too much material. You can always take more material off, but you can't (easily) fill gouges or holes that go too deep.

I live in a small apartment in slc and have to keep bikes outside in an uncovered area. My partner and I have one bike each. It is secure, but open to the elements. This isn’t usually an issue, I just throw a tarp on if it rains. I’m thinking of getting a new slightly nicer bike so I’m rethinking our storage situation, does anyone have a recommendation of something to cover up the bikes with? Ideally something that could fit up to 3 bikes. Willing to spend up to $200 or more on something if it’s functional.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I live in a small apartment in slc and have to keep bikes outside in an uncovered area. My partner and I have one bike each. It is secure, but open to the elements. This isn’t usually an issue, I just throw a tarp on if it rains. I’m thinking of getting a new slightly nicer bike so I’m rethinking our storage situation, does anyone have a recommendation of something to cover up the bikes with? Ideally something that could fit up to 3 bikes. Willing to spend up to $200 or more on something if it’s functional.
    Can you just build a little roof over them?

Ask the experts

Maybe a really heavy duty tarp? Like the kind that you say “WTF” when you see the price, but you get it anyway and it lasts several years and makes you realize tarps aren’t as terrible as you thought, you’ve just been buying shitty ones all these years.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I bought a Yardstash and it works pretty well, especially if you can lean it against something. Kinda a PITA to get 2 bikes in/out, especially if they’re big mountain bikes. Just checked Amazon and looks like the heavy duty one is on sale for $80.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An XL BBQ grill cover is going to be much less expensive than any bike-specific storage solution.

So exo plus failed, go figure. put a magic Mary on front, 2.6 cause that’s what LBS had. What swalbe 2.5 for the rear? Maxxis fan no longer. Thx

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    I have a Rockshox dropper, bleed kit and 1x lever you can have for beer + shipping. Still works well just started to get sponge. Never bled it, just took it off and replaced it. PM me if interested.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    PM sent

Thanks for the replies re: bike cover solutions. I've had my eye on the Yardstash storage tent for a while, has anyone used it? The area where I keep the bikes has a wood floor so I couldn't stake it down, maybe putting bricks inside the corners could do the trick? Its so tall it makes me worry a storm would take it down, its also kind of an eyesore but I could get over that.

The BBQ cover idea is very interesting, I will buy one and try it out!

Can't build anything unfortunately, rental life buying in SLC right now doesn't make sense for us for many reasons

Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Thanks for the replies re: bike cover solutions. I've had my eye on the Yardstash storage tent for a while, has anyone used it? The area where I keep the bikes has a wood floor so I couldn't stake it down, maybe putting bricks inside the corners could do the trick? Its so tall it makes me worry a storm would take it down, its also kind of an eyesore but I could get over that.

The BBQ cover idea is very interesting, I will buy one and try it out!

Can't build anything unfortunately, rental life buying in SLC right now doesn't make sense for us for many reasons
    https://www.bikesonline.com/bicycle-...e/bike-covers/

Ali Express has many options too if you search for ‘bike cover’. YMMV

Roadie question. I ride with a slower cadence and set up my new endurance rig with 175mm cranks accordingly. I slapped on my power meter from another rig without looking at the arm length: 172.5. 2.5mm? No way you're gonna feel that. Or so I thought. It's...a little weird. Is this bad? Will I fuck myself up long-term? I log about 100 mi/week.

Raise your saddle 2.5mm?

I never really noticed going from my road bike with 175s to my old cx bike with 172.5 cranks. But the fit was also a bit different between those two bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Raise your saddle 2.5mm?

I never really noticed going from my road bike with 175s to my old cx bike with 172.5 cranks. But the fit was also a bit different between those two bikes.
    No, it's a crank arm meter and now the crank arms are different lengths.