Page 207 of 531 FirstFirst ... 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 ... LastLast
Results 5,151 to 5,175 of 13262

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I meant of his nekid wife or GF
    Also interested to see where the velcro goes on GF...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I just took apart my Giant Contact SL dropper post, which has an non-adjustable gas spring in it. It won't stay up so maybe lube it to start problem-solving, right? I watched a YT video and read some shit about it online, the consensus is it's super easy and you don't need step-by-step directions to take it apart and lube it up. Great! Even I can do this one.

i took it apart and the spring doesn't unscrew from the seatpost like it does in the video. It just spins and spins. This is how all my bike repairs end up: failure and dropping it off at the bike shop. Even the super easy repairs never work for me. WTF. But everything is well lubed so I decide to put it together as that's not the issue, all is not lost, something else must be the issue not the lack of lube. After putting it back together and on my bike: it doesn't go up or down now.

Kill me, please.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Are you people reading my thoughts?! The silverado on my new Yeti is loud as fuck and I literally just came in to post seeking a solution to the loud/loose XT brake pads.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Speaking of brakes... I added velcro tape under my XT finned pads - absolute silence!

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    I just took apart my Giant Contact SL dropper post, which has an non-adjustable gas spring in it. It won't stay up so maybe lube it to start problem-solving, right? I watched a YT video and read some shit about it online, the consensus is it's super easy and you don't need step-by-step directions to take it apart and lube it up. Great! Even I can do this one.

i took it apart and the spring doesn't unscrew from the seatpost like it does in the video. It just spins and spins. This is how all my bike repairs end up: failure and dropping it off at the bike shop. Even the super easy repairs never work for me. WTF. But everything is well lubed so I decide to put it together as that's not the issue, all is not lost, something else must be the issue not the lack of lube. After putting it back together and on my bike: it doesn't go up or down now.

Kill me, please.
    You just need a new cartridge. I found this video super helpful when I rebuilt mine a few weeks ago:

https://youtu.be/3Dy6lukV8Bc

He kind of shows how it can come apart in two different ways.

These guys seemed to be about the only place to find a cartridge, LBS said Giant was 7 weeks out at the time I asked:

https://www.amaincycling.com/giant-c...hoC9ZEQAvD_BwE

shop bro told me a lot of these cheaper dropper posts use an easily replaceable cartridge

as opposed to sending off to fox or wherever to be rebuilt

post pandemic it could be a parts issue either way
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Thanks guys. I haven't searched a ton yet but it looks like I can't buy any replacement cartridges for my 2015 model. Too old.

What would you all buy these days if you had to get a new dropper post for a 34 pound bike? Another giant post from 2017 is $180 and OneUp Components V2 Dropper Post is $225.

I like the Brand X droppers -- rebadged Trans X, sold under a bunch of different names, including some PNW posts -
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...end&cat=direct
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I like the Brand X droppers -- rebadged Trans X, sold under a bunch of different names, including some PNW posts -
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...end&cat=direct
    Yeah, Brand X all the way. Cheap, works great, good warranty. A bit heavier and longer than a Transfer, but if you don't need a super short insert length and it's not going on a XC race bike who cares, it's literally 1/3 the price. Looks like most of them are even in stock!

Team Reverb ̶u̶n̶t̶i̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶d̶i̶e̶, I mean until I die.

My only long term dropper post experience has been 7 years on a KS Lev. Once I swapped the crappy light weight wire that kept breaking with a regular shifter cable it’s been trouble free. Zero maintenance and zero issues.

i been liking the Fox Transfer on my 5.5 which has worked pretty well for 3 yrs, in fact all the Fox products on the bike have so I'm a fox Fanboi

the Orbea come with an OC2 or i could upgrade to another fox for 360$

WTF is an OC2 seatpost, I can't really find it on the webz, is that an Orbea brand or what ??

Yeah orbea branded post, not sure where it actually comes from. Wouldn't be surprised if that and the other oem branded posts are all the same as brand x or whatever.

My transfer seems fine so far although it wasn't returning from really short amounts of drop reliably on really cold rides in the winter. I'm eyeing that transfer SL in the quest to get my hei hei in the xc race bike weight ballpark and I guess that would let me have a spare dropper. I looked at the service procedure and am pretty sure I'm not going to bother trying to do it myself.

Ok thnax, this ^^ all makes more sense now, must be what shop bro is talking about, so if Brand X work ok that is > spending an extra 340$ for the Fox

I also get that^^ kind of thing a very little bit on my Transfer but mostly it works pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    i been liking the Fox Transfer on my 5.5 which has worked pretty well for 3 yrs, in fact all the Fox products on the bike have so I'm a fox Fanboi

the Orbea come with an OC2 or i could upgrade to another fox for 360$

WTF is an OC2 seatpost, I can't really find it on the webz, is that an Orbea brand or what ??
    I rode the stock OC2 on my Occam a few times, it's a fine post. No side to side play, fast action, nothing to complain about other than the stack height. When I ditched it for a OneUp I went from 150 to 200 mm of travel with the same insertion.
    The OC2 will sell well on PB and make the OneUp upgrade a $50 affair. Worth it.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    My only long term dropper post experience has been 7 years on a KS Lev. Once I swapped the crappy light weight wire that kept breaking with a regular shifter cable it’s been trouble free. Zero maintenance and zero issues.
    I ran KS posts for a bunch of years. They were pretty good but all of them eventually started drooping 1/2" or so which means time to send in for service. Can't really complain about that. The one on my hardtail is going on 7-8 years now with no issues. Though that bikes sees less use than the FS.

I've been on a Bikeyoke Revive on my Ibis since 2017. That post has been flawless, and still operates very smoothly. I've only used the revive valve a couple times.

Bikeyoke Revive has been incredible for me as well.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Good to know about Bike Yoke as that’s what I have now instead of the KS. Never had a drooping issue with mine and I use the dropper more than anyone I ride with. Guess I lucked out.

Hey if any of you want to upgrade a still functional 31.6 dropper, I could use your old one for my HD3. It came with a SDG Tellis that has a squeaky wobble that I cannot fix. Don't need big travel as I am only 5'5".

Reccos for a fairly compliant carbon AM bar?

Running the stock Yeti carbon 780 that came on my new bike. Crazy stiff. I have a bad wrist and need a pretty soft bar, but also don't want to go alloy. My Enve M9 bar on my other bike is sick....came with the bike. I assume it's stupid expensive. Lots of people seem to like the OneUp bars now.

Everyone seems to be going Oneup. I hope the industry notices and all start making less stiff 35mm bars

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Not my bike, but like this. I did it on both sides, but I used the fuzzy side of the velcro.
    Just spotted this on Jesse Melamed's bike, another take on the anti pad-rattle thing:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	378468

Probably less work than gluing strips if you happen to have the right size rubber seals laying around

^^^ looks like the ~36mm diameter rubber ring from a fork stanchion. Gonna try that as I have an old one laying around from the fork I just serviced.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Reccos for a fairly compliant carbon AM bar?

Running the stock Yeti carbon 780 that came on my new bike. Crazy stiff. I have a bad wrist and need a pretty soft bar, but also don't want to go alloy. My Enve M9 bar on my other bike is sick....came with the bike. I assume it's stupid expensive. Lots of people seem to like the OneUp bars now.
    Yeah, I've had good luck with enve m7's. They're more than the oneups (which I haven't tried yet) but they're not atrociously expensive.

Speaking of carbon bars what are the thoughts on the Chromag ones?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums