Page 159 of 532 FirstFirst ... 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,975 of 13288

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Bash guards. Seems like the weight penalty is essentially non existent and I don't see the downside. I've been riding a lot of techy uphill this season and I'm trying to be more playful and adopt a climb-on-and-jump-off-everything style of riding instead of hauling ass. The big squishy bike seems to have a dangerously low BB at times and I'd not super keen on mangling chain rings. I took a couple of solid hits already and am wondering if I wouldn't be better off having something to glide on.
    Anyone running one on a trail bike? What's good what's bad?
    I used to run them all the time on bikes I converted from 3x to 2x. Probably saved me some chain wear now and then. Now with a 1x I no longer run a bash guard and don't really miss it for what it's worth.

These guys may or may not have the size you need, but they are cheap and we haven't broken one yet. Plus colors. Sometimes they are cheaper and have more options on ebay than their website.

Bash guards. Seems like the weight penalty is essentially non existent
    non existent?!?! they weigh like 60g!!

seriously though its hard to go wrong, get whatever's in stock and fits your bike. MRP, Wolf Tooth, AbsoluteBlack are all good.

Most people have stopped running them with 1x because the chain protects the chainring somewhat.

Long and low bike plus rocks means bashguards are used heavily for me. I have a oneup on my sentinel with a chain guide cause why not and an old triple crank with a big ring on the hardtail. Both have many scars from NE riding. I did not see the need in the PNW so it depends on your trails.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    These guys may or may not have the size you need, but they are cheap and we haven't broken one yet. Plus colors. Sometimes they are cheaper and have more options on ebay than their website.
    Link missing??

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    non existent?!?! they weigh like 60g!!
    seriously though its hard to go wrong, get whatever's in stock and fits your bike. MRP, Wolf Tooth, AbsoluteBlack are all good.
    Most people have stopped running them with 1x because the chain protects the chainring somewhat.
    Shit, 60 grams?? Might have to reconsider if it pushes my bike over 30 lbs. Granted I probably lost that much in sealant last week due to overly low pressure and slamming into stuff.
    I read some stuff about not needing the guard with 1x and I'm honestly not super concerned about destroying the chain ring, I would just prefer to have a bit more peace of mind when I'm working on trials move. I want to do more to get better at bike handling, balance, etc... but the feeling I get when I botch it and drag (or slam) the ring into a rock is pretty sobering. Maybe if I knew I was sliding on a disposable part I'd feel more confident...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Link missing??

Shit, 60 grams?? Might have to reconsider if it pushes my bike over 30 lbs. Granted I probably lost that much in sealant last week due to overly low pressure and slamming into stuff.
    I read some stuff about not needing the guard with 1x and I'm honestly not super concerned about destroying the chain ring, I would just prefer to have a bit more peace of mind when I'm working on trials move. I want to do more to get better at bike handling, balance, etc... but the feeling I get when I botch it and drag (or slam) the ring into a rock is pretty sobering. Maybe if I knew I was sliding on a disposable part I'd feel more confident...
    Sorry - link. You'll like the price. It's some dude machining them in his garage I think, or on borrowed eq.

https://bbgbashguard.com/

Question, if I randomly stop using as much travel on a fork, on the same trails, with no measureable skill improvement is it likely my weight reduction or something with the fork.

Weight maybe 7lbs down over the last month.

Found myself using way less travel and riding close to PB times.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I know there was a brief discussion of cranks here- question:
    I’m running a CK threadfit 24, so looking only for 24 spindles, had envisioned running XT, but those are unobtanium in a 165

RF Aeffect R (their third from bottom and 1 of only 3 still in a 24 spindle - the others regular Aeffect and Ride) any use/thoughts? Probably won’t even notice them right?

Anyone else make a decent 24 spindle crank that I’m not thinking of?

Or just go 170 Xt (if I can find them) all my other bikes are 165- I have short legs (28-29” inseam). But I’m not really sure that I’ll know the difference

Quote Originally Posted by Hughwindlip View Post
    Question, if I randomly stop using as much travel on a fork, on the same trails, with no measureable skill improvement is it likely my weight reduction or something with the fork.

Weight maybe 7lbs down over the last month.

Found myself using way less travel and riding close to PB times.

Maybe your line choice is getting better?

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Maybe your line choice is getting better?
    Yeah maybe. And fork is freshly serviced last August and running fine.

It's just very noticeable on the trav usually I'd use 80% and now it's maybe 60%.

Could be carrying through some of the old impacts now too. ( Better line choice as you said )

Anyways. Was just puzzled by it thought I'd canvas the crew. Even dropped the fork pressure this week from 99 to 88 to see bit still similar trend.

Throwing a new lyrik ultimate 160 on my rig this month so it will be cool to compare.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Yeah, I have a grease gun with the moly grease and a needle tip for it. I think the issue is that the needle is at the end of a hose like a normal grease gun so it's extra hard to keep correct pressure and get the grease in. Gonna try to rig something up. I slathered some grease in there by hand when I re assembled the link anyway. There was barely any grease in there when I took it apart.

maybe the port is plugged on your switch infinity slider ?

I've used a gun with needle tip literlay thousands of time and I didnt find any thing wierd going on with yeti
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Bash guards. Seems like the weight penalty is essentially non existent and I don't see the downside. I've been riding a lot of techy uphill this season and I'm trying to be more playful and adopt a climb-on-and-jump-off-everything style of riding instead of hauling ass. The big squishy bike seems to have a dangerously low BB at times and I'd not super keen on mangling chain rings. I took a couple of solid hits already and am wondering if I wouldn't be better off having something to glide on.
    Anyone running one on a trail bike? What's good what's bad?
    I've had the One Up on 2 different bikes for the past 4+ years, super solid, but it also comes with a couple spares parts which are handy eventually. would buy again.
    https://can.oneupcomponents.com/coll...uide-v2-iscg05

bash guards i used were just an aluminium ring that bolted to the crank, I don't know if that would work with the new 1X setups, i never worry about hitting cuz of the 1x

If you're going to ride our trails, and hit the features, you definitely need a bashgard. You'd fuck your chain up so fast. Part of riding here is learning to feel that drag of the bash sliding across the granite. We do work hard to give the line enough clearance, but it's a precise line and you don't always hit it spot on. I wore out my MRP after two seasons. Metal was gone and even with the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    I've had the One Up on 2 different bikes for the past 4+ years, super solid, but it also comes with a couple spares parts which are handy eventually. would buy again.
    https://can.oneupcomponents.com/coll...uide-v2-iscg05
    X2.

And yeah, you want the taco type of bashguard, not some janky chainring mount thing.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post

RF Aeffect R (their third from bottom and 1 of only 3 still in a 24 spindle - the others regular Aeffect and Ride) any use/thoughts? Probably won’t even notice them right?
    I’ve got two sets of Aeffect cranks I’ve been running on various bikes over the past 4-5 seasons. No issues with them. Hard to beat for the weight and price.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

My spur and some other bikes like Revel apparently aren't able to handle a bash guard due to insufficient ISCG tabs. You would think I could use a BB mount guard though? There are some trails I won't take the spur on because I know I'll just kill the chain and chainring. When I talked to Revel it sounded like a bash guard might void the warranty. Not sure how hitting a bash guard that is BB-mounted would be able to damage the frame.

This model is only compatible with two bolt top guides and is not compatible with three bolt guides or lower bash guards.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    My spur and some other bikes like Revel apparently aren't able to handle a bash guard due to insufficient ISCG tabs. You would think I could use a BB mount guard though? There are some trails I won't take the spur on because I know I'll just kill the chain and chainring. When I talked to Revel it sounded like a bash guard might void the warranty. Not sure how hitting a bash guard that is BB-mounted would be able to damage the frame.
    Yeah, I'd think a bb mounted guard would be fine (assuming you have a threaded bb). I think the guard will explode long before the frame takes damage.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Yeah, I'd think a bb mounted guard would be fine (assuming you have a threaded bb). I think the guard will explode long before the frame takes damage.
    Agreed, but hence the ring mounted solution.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I used to run them all the time on bikes I converted from 3x to 2x. Probably saved me some chain wear now and then. Now with a 1x I no longer run a bash guard and don't really miss it for what it's worth.
    This is where I’m at as well. Also used to run the BBG bash guards. They showed enough signs of wear on them that I know it was worth it. Now that I’m going 1x I’ve been fine without one.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    X2.

And yeah, you want the taco type of bashguard, not some janky chainring mount thing.
    you new at this ?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    you new at this ?
    Chainring mounted bashguards always sucked. They used to get in the way of front derailleurs. Now they get in the way of chainguides.

But none of that really matters since I can't remember the last time I wasn't running a direct mount chainring, which means chainring mounted bashguards aren't an option.

They been around for decades YMMV but I never had or seen a problem with chainring mounted bashguard

the big question is can you mount one to a 1X or has the mounting gone away ?

Oh wise and wonderful experts...any reason not to buy my soon-to-be 15 yo daughter a 29er full suspension mountain bike? She has ridden my wife's and likes how it climbs (it's a front suspension). She's 5'4" about 110 pounds. But it seems like most women's bikes in small frame size only come in 27.5 so seems like the industry is pushing somebody her size in that direction. I'm hesitant to buy her a 27.5 because I had one and ended up selling it and buying a 29er and I'd just as soon skip that intermediate step with her because I personally really prefer the 29er. Anybody have experience with their wives/daughters with this issue? Any bike recs? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Oh wise and wonderful experts...any reason not to buy my soon-to-be 15 yo daughter a 29er full suspension mountain bike? She has ridden my wife's and likes how it climbs (it's a front suspension). She's 5'4" about 110 pounds. But it seems like most women's bikes in small frame size only come in 27.5 so seems like the industry is pushing somebody her size in that direction. I'm hesitant to buy her a 27.5 because I had one and ended up selling it and buying a 29er and I'd just as soon skip that intermediate step with her because I personally really prefer the 29er. Anybody have experience with their wives/daughters with this issue? Any bike recs? Thanks.
    She should probably be on a 26" bike.