Page 240 of 524 FirstFirst ... 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 ... LastLast
Results 5,976 to 6,000 of 13089

Thread: Ask the experts

Happy with the Brand X carbon bars I picked up a while back and the price is certainly right, but they only come in 31.8:
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod193202

Probably not as cool in the parking lot though.

I’m curious about one-up. I swapped from some older Race Face SixC bars to Chromag BZA carbons (both 35mm) and the Chromag was way way better. Not sure about the new race face stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Probably not as cool in the parking lot though.
    - 31.8 bad
    - carbon good
    - store brand bad

Certainly worthy of a snicker, but probably not a full belly laugh. Definitely pointing at you though.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    I need new cranks

I have a Race Face Cinch 30mm BB92 Press Fit BB

when I look at the race face site it shows cranks with spindle sizes of 169, 190, and 136

how do I figure out which one might work?

(this is for a 2015 RM Instinct non-boost bike)

thanks!
    It's likely the 136. 190 is fatbike territory and 169 is boost or super boost.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    I need new cranks
    The Yeti came with the Race Face Aeffect and I liked them, with no spider the splined chain ring mount was good for mounting smaller rings so I went to 28T no problem, I don't think they are too expensive
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

^^ The Affect crank uses a 24mm spindle like Shimano, IIRC, and all the other Race Face cranks use a 30mm spindle.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Hey, I was good about pumping up my road tires when I was in college.

Of course I’m also an anal engineer with some degree of OCD, who was working in a bike shop at the time, so I probably fell way to one end of the bell curve when it came to maintaining my bikes compared to other college kids.
    when I told the civil engineer I was running stick for that my kid was in Uni to be an engineer he said " yeah so they sit around a table drinking beer / giggling and discussing the square root of pi "

IME I can run 125psi and still get pinch flats on a 23mm tire, 25mm has been wat better

I cut an almost brand new tire on the highway close to the dump a likely place to encounter broken glass

best way to patch a tire is put in a new tube, take the flacid one home to patch/ test while having a beer, this is especialy a good idea if the bugs are swarming but don't forget to still carry a patch kit and rotate your patch kits

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Anyone running carbon bars? Specifically oneup's?Every site I look to for reviews is glowing...but has paid review links that make me suspicious. Looking to minimize hand/arm pump on steep brake-bumped garbage
    I always just ride whatever came on the bike and they never seem to break so no

Other than they are cool I have never really seen a credible compelling back to back comparison telling me why I should ?

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Anyone running carbon bars? Specifically oneup's?Every site I look to for reviews is glowing...but has paid review links that make me suspicious. Looking to minimize hand/arm pump on steep brake-bumped garbage
    I have Oneup carbon bars as well as a Race Face Next R. Honestly, I prefer the feel of the Race Face on the trail. Oneup's aren't bad but I don't think they are worth the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    I have a brake problem. It’s a Shimano XT 2 piston from a couple years ago. The lever is going all the way to the bars. I figured it’s air in the system so I bled it. I’ve probably bled brakes at least a hundred times, many of which were Shimano mineral oils. I followed the instructions exactly. After a bleed, the brake is ok but after a few squeezes, the lever goes limp, back to the bars. I don’t see a leak anywhere. If I pump the lever it will bite again but then it will lose power again. Weird. Anyone experienced this?

Edit for more info: just after a fresh bleed the brake feels fine but during a ride the lever goes all the way down. When I stop and pump the lever, it’ll feel fine again. I just ordered a new brake so I’ll be doing a post-mortem after it arrives.
    snap I had this problem. I ended up new lever and caliper

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I always just ride whatever came on the bike and they never seem to break so no

Other than they are cool I have never really seen a credible compelling back to back comparison telling me why I should ?
    The better carbon bars are definitely a little smoother than a generic aluminum bar. Doesn't make much difference unless you're on fairly long, rough descents though. Carbon bars are also ~150g lighter, which isn't nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    It's likely the 136. 190 is fatbike territory and 169 is boost or super boost.
    Thanks mag

a chain of events has forced a coil shock upon me. never rode coil, what am I giving up having a dhx2 vs an x2?

I just put a DHX2 on my Altitude, coming from an X2. It is way more stable at speed, but of course less ‘poppy’ in terms of preloading the suspension for jumps. It is much faster IMO. But these are coil/vs. air generalities, of course, every bike will feel a little different with coil depending on a few factors. I am traveling cross country with both shocks, and will swap depending on how gnuurr the terrain is. I keep complete mounting hardware on both for ease of swap.
    The DHX2 will bob a bit more climbing, even with the compression switch on, regardless of what people tell you, IMO.
    But I do love the coil feel so much.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I just put a DHX2 on my Altitude, coming from an X2. It is way more stable at speed, but of course less ‘poppy’ in terms of preloading the suspension for jumps. It is much faster IMO. But these are coil/vs. air generalities, of course, every bike will feel a little different with coil depending on a few factors. I am traveling cross country with both shocks, and will swap depending on how gnuurr the terrain is. I keep complete mounting hardware on both for ease of swap.
    The DHX2 will bob a bit more climbing, even with the compression switch on, regardless of what people tell you, IMO.
    Did it take much setting up to feel right?

Not really. A few clicks here and there with the compression/rebound, that’s about it. But rebound speed is personal. Running a 425 spring now (at 172 out of the shower) , but will probably pick up a 450 so I can get fat this winter.
    Mostly ridden on the smashiest rocky trails I can find.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

What ride-9 are you in with the DHX2? and still running it as a mullet?
    Trying to decide between X2 and DHX2 for my Altitude, DPX2 is fun, poppy and mostly great, but doesn't quite cut it for for fast and chunky smashing.

Has anyone in the US bought a bike from Canada (pinkbike buysell) and had it shipped? Would you recommend it if the bike is ~$500 cheaper than anything I can find in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Has anyone in the US bought a bike from Canada (pinkbike buysell) and had it shipped? Would you recommend it if the bike is ~$500 cheaper than anything I can find in the US?
    The size of the bike box can only be shipped via a carrier like UPS, FedEx, DHL. This will cost you a bunch in broker fees, taxes, plus the expensive shipping rate.
    Smaller packages (that do not exceed the measurement requirements)from CAN to USA (or vise versa) should always be shipped Canada Post/USPS.
    In the long run after you pay the shipping and fees/taxes your $500 saving will mostly be consumed.

Not really. A few clicks here and there with the compression/rebound, that’s about it. But rebound speed is personal. Running a 425 spring now (at 172 out of the shower) , but will probably pick up a 450 so I can get fat this winter.
    Mostly ridden on the smashiest rocky trails I can find.
    we're the same weight fox and Pivot recommends a 500 spring but I'm at the bottom of that weight category. my new bike comes with a 450 spring. was gona go 475. I'm a bit lost in all this.

To this note, when possible I use Santa Cruz boxes. They’re within the standard size dimensions and are pretty darn solid.

Not sure if bikeflights does shipping from Canada but you could plug some things in there to get a quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    The size of the bike box can only be shipped via a carrier like UPS, FedEx, DHL. This will cost you a bunch in broker fees, taxes, plus the expensive shipping rate.
    Smaller packages (that do not exceed the measurement requirements)from CAN to USA (or vise versa) should always be shipped Canada Post/USPS.
    In the long run after you pay the shipping and fees/taxes your $500 saving will mostly be consumed.

Pretty sure Bikeflights works with Canada/us. A buddy used them for a trip to whistler iirc and not terrible pricing

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I haven't tried the OneUp (which does seem like it maybe could help, given the ovalized profile) but in general, 35 mm carbon is the exact opposite of what you want for minimizing harshness. A good 31.8 mm aluminum bar is the move.
    Not exactly.They can modify the layup of the carbon to do myriads of different things; stiffness, weight, compliance, etc… High end carbon (either 31.8 or 35) where they actually engineered the layup for compliance will be noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I bought a bike from RSD bikes in Canada and it was the usual shipping costs ($50) and took an extra day or 2 to go through customs. It may be different for a private sale but I wouldn't hesitate if you're saving that much $$.

yer mmv but i never buy anything from across the line, if you do make sure you scope out ALL costs

I did buy some 39.95 shoes that ended up costing 112$ to get them on my feet

Somebody on TGR gave me a pair of boots, the USPS and a beer still cost > 50$