Page 163 of 530 FirstFirst ... 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,075 of 13248

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    So happy I'm no longer the sole Manitou homer around #IRT4lyfe

Now you need to go all-in and get a Mara Pro and some Dominion brakes.
    Fuck don't tempt me...

I haven't looked into the Mara much, does it blow a DPX2 out of the water?
    As far as brakes go I've been working on nose manuals for styling my way around idiotically tight switchbacks and am slowly learning that the concept of modulation isn't something Shimano has mastered. I love the XT brakes in terms of power and never had an issue with wandering bite point but the things are either on or off with no in-between.
    I get that there's a lot more than just braking for a clean nose manual but still, it gets scary real fast when you're way over your front wheel trying to get the back to come up nice and smooth and you tap the lever a bit too hard...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I haven't used a DPX2 on this bike. My previous shock was a DVO Topaz T3 that came with a custom tune for this frame. The Mara feels way better than the Topaz ever did. It's more supple off the top and handles harsh flat landings way better. Sethschmautz also got one last year and really likes it.

Now, if I already owned a DPX2 I would probably just send it to Diaz rather than buy a new shock. But if you're going to buy a new shock the Mara is definitely legit.

I had 2-piston XTs prior to Dominions and there's just no comparison there. Though probably every brake at that price smokes XTs. Dominions do cost less than Code RSC and most boutique brakes, and they come with a second set of pads which is nice.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 04-09-2021 at 06:35 PM.

Im less than impressed with my dpx2 on my meta tr. Was thinking of getting a coil shock to replace it. I wonder if its worth it to send it to vorsprung(im in Can.) to get it tuned for the bike? Its the shock that came on the bike. Not terrible but i can tell that a coil will add a few levels of bump eating ability.

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Ask the experts

I complained about needing super high pressure 300+ to get the sag correct on my dpx2 a few pages back.

I bought some fox volume spacers and swapped out the stock one for a larger spacer (easy to do) which has helped a lot. Well, at least for my issue. The shock is much more progressive now and with less psi. Broke a brake lever so haven’t been able to put it fully through the ringer.

My dpx2 turned into a dhx2 and I like my bike a lot more but I’m not super weight conscious.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Im less than impressed with my dpx2 on my meta tr. Was thinking of getting a coil shock to replace it. I wonder if its worth it to send it to vorsprung(im in Can.) to get it tuned for the bike? Its the shock that came on the bike. Not terrible but i can tell that a coil will add a few levels of bump eating ability.

I find that the dpx2 can be impressively good with the right tune (moreso than most trail oriented air shocks), and thoroughly mediocre with the wrong tune (as with most shocks).

That said, it's never gonna compare with a good coil in terms of suppleness. It is, however, about a pound lighter and almost certainly pedals better.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    I complained about needing super high pressure 300+ to get the sag correct on my dpx2 a few pages back.

I bought some fox volume spacers and swapped out the stock one for a larger spacer (easy to do) which has helped a lot. Well, at least for my issue. The shock is much more progressive now and with less psi. Broke a brake lever so haven’t been able to put it fully through the ringer.
    Thanks, cant hurt to try that first. That should make it a little more supple off the top too, having less air pressure
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    My dpx2 turned into a dhx2 and I like my bike a lot more but I’m not super weight conscious.
    Much the same and ill probably end up that way as well
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I find that the dpx2 can be impressively good with the right tune (moreso than most trail oriented air shocks), and thoroughly mediocre with the wrong tune (as with most shocks).

That said, it's never gonna compare with a good coil in terms of suppleness. It is, however, about a pound lighter and almost certainly pedals better.
    I might have had too high of expectations with it. It does pedal well. I hear so many people compare the x2 to the dhx2 and say that the x2 is coil like so i was hoping this dpx2 would be closer to an x2. Then i see dh pros going back to a dhx2 after x2 testing. Every time i put a coil on im reminded how much more capable it is

Thanks, cant hurt to try that first. That should make it a little more supple off the top too, having less air pressureMuch the same and ill probably end up that way as wellI might have had too high of expectations with it. It does pedal well. I hear so many people compare the x2 to the dhx2 and say that the x2 is coil like so i was hoping this dpx2 would be closer to an x2. Then i see dh pros going back to a dhx2 after x2 testing. Every time i put a coil on im reminded how much more capable it is

I'm running an x2 on my enduro - it's great, and I like it, but it's still definitely not as supple as a coil. And a dpx2 is a fairly significant step away from coil-ness from the x2.

Dpx2 is a great shock, and I happily run it on any trail bike. But the bigger and burlier the bike, the less the dpx2 is gonna cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Thanks all

Opened up the air shaft to day. Only one token - removed it, just to see how that feels. But no reason it should matter much.
    I co-own a shockwiz with a buddy, so will absolutely check that out.

Won't be able to get back out until late next week, so will see how it feels then. If I can't work it out I'll reach out to the store. Had my shock serviced at the same time, and it feels really good, so they probably know what they're doing.

Regarding Runt and whatnot. Good ideas, but I'm not going to put more money into this bike or fork, as I'll get a new frame next year anyhow. Absolutely going back to a Lyrik on that build.
    I wouldn't be so quick to give up on the 36. The 36 is a very good fork, especially so with the updated one. What you're describing is not at all normal with this fork and indicates an issue with the service. If I was guessing, my first thought is it sounds like they got the foam ring jammed when installing the lowers. Easy to do and pretty common.
    Like Toast said, just give it back and have them do a new reassembly.
    Also, in my experience, all forks take far less pressure than factory recommended to get proper sag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

I'm running an x2 on my enduro - it's great, and I like it, but it's still definitely not as supple as a coil. And a dpx2 is a fairly significant step away from coil-ness from the x2.

Dpx2 is a great shock, and I happily run it on any trail bike. But the bigger and burlier the bike, the less the dpx2 is gonna cut it.
    What he said.
    I've run X2s on my V1 Bronson, V3 Nomad, and now my Ripmo. To me, it's the best air shock made but, baring new voodoo, no air shock will ever be a coil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Why doesn’t the RS VividAir get the same love as the X2? Do they not make it in smaller sizes to use on non-DH bikes? Does it not have a compression switch?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Why doesn’t the RS VividAir get the same love as the X2? Do they not make it in smaller sizes to use on non-DH bikes? Does it not have a compression switch?
    I don't think it's been produced since the Deluxe/Super Deluxe was introduced in about 2017. Or at least they don't make metric sizes of the Vivid Air so it's not an ideal fit on bikes designed around metric shocks which is pretty much everything these days. The Super Deluxe DH is the new DH air shock but I think that's just a Super Deluxe with high and low speed compression dials.

I changed a basic Monarch to a Vivid Air on my old Mega and it was a huge improvement. Then moved it to a V1 Bronson for a while which was good until it started leaking even after a good workshop serviced it so I replaced it with a Monarch Plus LV which really didn't feel too different as saved a lot of weight.

I have a Fox 36 (2019) 160mm on my Strive.

After having it serviced it's completely fucked, extremely harsh on repeated smaller roots etc. Currently at 70psi which gives 25% sag, but there is no way I'm able to make it feel smooth or use even close to full travel. LSC all the way off, rebound in the middle-ish. It feels fine and supportive on smooth trails / at speed. Single hits are ok, but as mentioned - repeated smaller hits almost rattles my glasses off.

Any suggestions? I've heard the too much grease in the air shaft can be a problem, but I have no idea what "too much" is.
    just tell them its been fucked ever since they worked on it

I watched buddy do my 36, very fast he knew exactly what he was doing and he used a torque wrench, new enduro seals & foam rings, he checked the air pressure before taking it apart and set it back to the same so the fork was at least the same as before he took it apart

YMMV but IME think the 36 is an awesume fork
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-10-2021 at 10:46 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    What he said.
    I've run X2s on my V1 Bronson, V3 Nomad, and now my Ripmo. To me, it's the best air shock made but, baring new voodoo, no air shock will ever be a coil.
    I do see people swear by the x2, on their enduro bikes, and dont see them come up for sale as often. Ill add that to the options after a ttial tweak to the dp

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Put a Mezzer on the new build and forget about the concept of dumping mo money into an already expensive fork to get it to do what you want. I've gone back to playing with air pressure in mine and the range of behavior you can get from that fork is unreal.
    The Expert is on my list - but that arch makes my brain hurt

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to give up on the 36. The 36 is a very good fork, especially so with the updated one. What you're describing is not at all normal with this fork and indicates an issue with the service. If I was guessing, my first thought is it sounds like they got the foam ring jammed when installing the lowers. Easy to do and pretty common.
    Like Toast said, just give it back and have them do a new reassembly.
    Also, in my experience, all forks take far less pressure than factory recommended to get proper sag.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    just tell them its been fucked ever since they worked on it

I watched buddy do my 36, very fast he knew exactly what he was doing and he used a torque wrench, new enduro seals & foam rings, he checked the air pressure before taking it apart and set it back to the same so the fork was at least the same as before he took it apart

YMMV but IME think the 36 is an awesume fork
    Yeah, definitely not gicing up as such. Will give it a try next week, straight back to the shop if it doesn't work out.

Change of bike is part of the plan anyhow - after this season the Strive is 3 seasons old, the seat angle is pretty slack by modern standards, and you can tell. And I'm pretty certain there's a model update sometime before next season, would like to get rid of mine before everyone wants the latest greatest

Is the only difference in the x2 "performance" just that its not kashima?

No, it’s got one less tuning knob. (I forget which).
    But the tune on mine for the Altitude is pretty spot on, I don’t miss it at all.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    No, it’s got one less tuning knob. (I forget which).
    But the tune on mine for the Altitude is pretty spot on, I don’t miss it at all.
    Ok cool, maybe hsr. That seems to be the one people know or adjust the least. This may work

Ok cool, maybe hsr. That seems to be the one people know or adjust the least. This may work

Just keep in mind that the performance is (I believe) OEM only, so you'd want to check the tune against your bike.

Just keep in mind that the performance is (I believe) OEM only, so you'd want to check the tune against your bike.
    Ah ok. Good to know. Found a good deal. I think i could sell my dpx2 for close to the same price. That may be an issue. Thanks

Thanks all

Opened up the air shaft to day. Only one token - removed it, just to see how that feels. But no reason it should matter much.
    I co-own a shockwiz with a buddy, so will absolutely check that out.

Won't be able to get back out until late next week, so will see how it feels then. If I can't work it out I'll reach out to the store. Had my shock serviced at the same time, and it feels really good, so they probably know what they're doing.

Regarding Runt and whatnot. Good ideas, but I'm not going to put more money into this bike or fork, as I'll get a new frame next year anyhow. Absolutely going back to a Lyrik on that build.
    Sounds to me like your negative chamber isn't getting pressurised. Can you hear air transfering into it when you compress the fork while your airing up? Excess grease in the air spring can cause the transfer port to get clogged. Mine usually gets over pressurised when it gets clogged resulting in the fork not topping out all the way. Theoretically could go either way though. Did the shop do a full damper teardown? If they got your compression shims back in wrong it could feel that way too. You said you backed the compression way off, does changing the compression settings do anything in either direction?

As stated by many, the latest generations of the 36 are great forks and what you're describing isn't remotely 'normal'. You don't have to fuck around with aftermarket air spring changes to get it to feel good. Your fork is malfunctioning, for sure bring it back to the shop tell them that.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Thoughts on the shock wiz. Still dialing in the new bike. I can rent one for $80 or buy one and donate it to the local NICA team after I set up my/ my wife's bike.

We should buy a TGR shock wiz and just mail it around the collective.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post

I'd pitch on that

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post

I’d also be in for that.... maybe a shop or industry mag could hook us up?