Page 178 of 524 FirstFirst ... 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 ... LastLast
Results 4,426 to 4,450 of 13093

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    I?

Also, What's then benefit of the small platform on clip-in "trail" pedals.
    Fashion.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Mostly just a bit of something to stand on when not clipped in. I find even a little bit of platform is much, much better to stand on unclipped than just a small xc pedal.

I also find the platform can make it a little easier to get my shoe clipped in when I'm bouncing around and trying to get my cleat in the right spot. The platform can function as a bit of a guide.

I just grabbed some pi elevates. Good walking grip comfortable and I like the boas so far. Not as stiff as my carbon shoes but seem ok. Only had them a week so no comments on durability

I've killed my last pair of now discontinued PEARL iZUMi X-Projects.
    I like these on the trail bike because they were fairly efficient and fairly good hiking while being fairly low-profile.
    I run S-Phyres on my XC bike, but these are obviously not so hot off-bike and wouldn't protect my toes in the least if and when I smoke a rock.

What'll fill the place of the X-Projects?

Let you run a less-stiff shoe more comfortably?
    I tried some more flat-pedal styled, clipless, shoes and found them to be flexy and uncomfortable under my regular pedals.
    Bontrager Evoke. Decent (not great) tread, narrow profile. I bashed my 5th toe it just kinda deflected, can't speak to a more serious encounter. Similar specs.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Was year did you do Trans Provence? I went in 2013. Fuck me that was a fun time.
    2017, red wine pints and late night bottles of Scotch!

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    2017, red wine pints and late night bottles of Scotch!
    Oh man. Such fun. Espressos in a village after your first timed descent. Beers in another village before you do the final climb and descent. Followed by more beers in the next village. It was like someone asked me “what’s your idea of a perfectly designed bike race?” and then made it happen.

Anyone have a good place to order fork and frame decals for bikes?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Installing an XT MT800 bottom bracket in a V2 Bronson. What's my spacer configuration supposed to be?

BB came with three in the box

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Installing an XT MT800 bottom bracket in a V2 Bronson. What's my spacer configuration supposed to be?

BB came with three in the box
    One, on the drive side, assuming it's a 73mm wide bottom bracket shell. You use all 3 for a 68mm shell, but there aren't many modern mountain bikes with those.

Measure the overall width of the shell to double check.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Anyone have a good place to order fork and frame decals for bikes?

Fanatik or Etsy

any beta on whisky carbon fiber wheels? found a great deal locally and i'm tempted to snap them up.

i believe the wheelset in question has an internal diameter of 25mm - the owner says he ran 2.4" tires on them without any issues at all, but i'm obviously concerned that they might be too narrow for me. he also strikes me as a dentist type which doesn't know what he is selling, hence the very good deal

wheels are intended to go on an evil following, and i think my ideal tire size would be 2.4/2.3 or so.

I wouldn’t stress over the 25mm unless you think you want to run something bigger than 2.4 in the future.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I wouldn’t stress over the 25mm unless you think you want to run something bigger than 2.4 in the future.
    thanks man. i assume i could not run 2.5s on 25mm, could I?

I am up front on my shorter travel bike, absolutely no problems at all. (2.5 DHF on a 25mm ID LB rim)
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I am up front on my shorter travel bike, absolutely no problems at all. (2.5 DHF on a 25mm ID LB rim)
    cool, this is exactly what i needed to know. i'm not sending anything big with it, it's on a short travel bike, i don't plan on doing anything fatter than 2.5 up front. thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Depends. Tire widths are far from standardized. One company's 2.3 is another's 2.5. Maxxis tends to run narrow, Schwalbe and Michelin tend to run wide IME, I can't speak to other brands. Hell, even different tires from the same company can be quite a bit different even at the same listed width. A 2.5 Maxxis tire that doesn't have "WT" after the listed width should be fine (WT = wide trail, optimized for 30-35 mm ID). Any other tires you'll have to do some research and/or just buy one and see if it looks too lightbulbed when mounted.

The 2.5 DHF was originally designed around a 23mm rim.

30mm is the width du jour, but lots and lots of world cup DH races have been won on <25mm rims. Now most of the wider Maxxis tires have a Wide Trail casing, which is designed around a ~30mm rim, but they'll still work fine on somewhat narrower rims.

Given the choice of Maxxis WT tires to run on narrower rims, I have found the 2.5 Assegai is squarer and works a bit better than the 2.5 DHF, which has a more rounded profile. But either should work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Mostly just a bit of something to stand on when not clipped in. I find even a little bit of platform is much, much better to stand on unclipped than just a small xc pedal.

I also find the platform can make it a little easier to get my shoe clipped in when I'm bouncing around and trying to get my cleat in the right spot. The platform can function as a bit of a guide.
    Makes a HUGE difference if you have hot spots/lingering injuries on your foot as well - especially if you're wanting to use a less stiff shoe for hiking when needed, etc. If it doesn't make a difference to one rider that is fine, but I noticed a lot of benefits of having something there including what is mentioned above as well.

You can kind of get the best of both worlds with a softer shoe that does well hiking and also the benefits of being clipped without feeling like you're standing on on a golf ball. I've actually run a clipless pedal setup with a platfom and a 5.10 kestrel and had the tension looser than most would run with clipless - ride like you're on flats for the most part but get the extra connection in techy climbs, etc. This is not something I'd recommend for someone not comfortable on flats though - because you'll pull yourself out real quick. I ride flats almost exclusively now but this setup is really ideal in some situations and I like it a lot.

/que the expert to say you should never ever do that, its dangerous blah blah blah

If you're just full on into stiff carbon soled shoes and don't ever have to hike then yeah, it doesn't make a difference.

Just because one rider doesn't see a benefit to something or isn't comfortable doing something, it might work well for a lot of others.

Thanks all. One last question, can anybody identify what i9 hubs these are just based on the logo?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

i believe the wheelset in question has an internal diameter of 25mm -.
    Come on, man, you're killing me here.

The last thing the mtb world needs is another wheel diameter standard.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Come on, man, you're killing me here.

The last thing the mtb world needs is another wheel diameter standard.
    To be fair I think the 25mm diameter is either a carryover from training wheels, shopping carts or Hot Wheels. Hardly unprecedented.
    Last edited by John_B; 05-03-2021 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    To be fair I think the 25mm diameter is either a carryover from training wheels, shopping cards or hot wheels. Hardly unprecedented.
    Didn't the Lefty have one 25 mm ID? Sounds about right, anyway.

Thanks all. One last question, can anybody identify what i9 hubs these are just based on the logo?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    Looks like torch. J-bend, xd, obviously.
    Could be pre-torch, but not it they’re boost. Make sure they’re boost!

However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Looks like torch. J-bend, xd, obviously.
    Could be pre-torch, but not it they’re boost. Make sure they’re boost!

thanks. i watched a bunch of videos and pulled them apart, they are torch - 6 pauls loaded by coil springs, 60 tooth drive ring.

NOT boost, which was actually one of the big selling points - i have a non-boost bike